• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry rims?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Curry rims? Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, I decided to see how I related from my Reeves 42D to a MOR common mpc. like a 3C. I've used mainly Purviance/Reeves mouthpieces and I just can't get used to my new Curry 3C.

Anyone else have experienced that with a Curry rim? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure this is helpful but I really like my Currys. The rim is nice and round and fits perfectly. I like round-ish rims, really dislike the Wick rims, the Tilz rims, and the Bach rims. GR is great, AR Res is great, Lotus is great, and JK ist great (for me).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Schilke (11 FYI) compare to that? I would say that most of my playing has been with Schilke and, predominantly, with Purviance and Reeves mpcs with some Bushs thrown for good measure. But Purviance/Reeves, mainly.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
irith
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry has the same "feature" of Bach where every diameter has a different contour. So it's hard to make real sweeping judgements.

The 3. rim for me works okay, I played a 3C. for a while. It feels very comfortable to me, but from a functional standpoint I found that I prefer a sharper bite for articulation, and thought the Curry felt like a bit bigger diameter than I wanted. I know he updated the 3C to a slightly smaller Mt. Vernon copy at one point, but even the newer version is squarely on the larger end of 3C equivalents IMO. Pickett 3, GR 66, Warburton 4, Yamaha 14B4 for example all feel a clear notch smaller to me. The diameter may be part of your problem.

No real experience with Reeves to compare.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense, then, irith. Thank you.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irith wrote:
Curry has the same "feature" of Bach where every diameter has a different contour. So it's hard to make real sweeping judgements.

The 3. rim for me works okay, I played a 3C. for a while. It feels very comfortable to me, but from a functional standpoint I found that I prefer a sharper bite for articulation, and thought the Curry felt like a bit bigger diameter than I wanted. I know he updated the 3C to a slightly smaller Mt. Vernon copy at one point, but even the newer version is squarely on the larger end of 3C equivalents IMO. Pickett 3, GR 66, Warburton 4, Yamaha 14B4 for example all feel a clear notch smaller to me. The diameter may be part of your problem.

I really like the way the Curry 3 feels and plays but like you, I think it feels too big, closer to a Bach 1.5 or Yamaha 15 or 16. And historically I can't play that size without losing range and endurance.

Mark Curry wrote me that indeed his rim shapes track the similarly numbered Bach shapes. I was hoping his size 5 would feel like a smaller version of Curry 3 but alas he says it feels more like the Bach 5 which is very different.

If Curry had one that felt more like the Yamaha 14B4 I'd definitely give it a go.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Curry rims? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Out of curiosity, I decided to see how I related from my Reeves 42D to a MOR common mpc. like a 3C. I've used mainly Purviance/Reeves mouthpieces and I just can't get used to my new Curry 3C.

OK - I admit it has been 25 years or so since I played the Reeves 42 series, but I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the Bach or Curry 3C. The only Curry rim I thought was even slightly similar to the Reeves was the 8.5 rim and I didn't find it as comfortable as the Reeves.

Curry rims are great if you play Bach style rims. Since you are used to Reeves rims, you are probably not going to get used to any Currys or Bachs.

You might be have some success with the Schilke 12B or Schilke 14B.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Curry rims are great if you play Bach style rims. Since you are used to Reeves rims, you are probably not going to get used to any Currys or Bachs."

You nailed it, Andy. I'm going to stick with my Purviance/Reeves. Thanks, though, everybody. Very helpful.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to put this out there...

For me, the 600-series rims are exceptional - nicely "neutral" in the sense that they're in the Goldilocks zone for roundedness, bite, cushion, etc... They just work.

As much as the 3. rim is a good one for people who like big pieces, the 600 being both a great profile and consistent across sizes makes it one that everyone should try (and then unlike the 3. if you want to try different sizes you can do so without going custom).

Dare I say... The 600 should be Mark's standard series.
JMWTpt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Curry Rims? Reply with quote

The Curry 3C. doesn't work well for me, and I suspect it is the rim or transition to the cup. I have a modest collection of Curry mouthpieces (3C. 3BC. 3B, 3M., 1-1/2C, 2C and 2BC, to name a few ). All work well except for the two 3C.s I have (one was dropped and bent at the horn end, and it is not used, though straightened, because I do not want to wear the receiver unevenly). The 3C.s behaved identically. The problem for me is that my attacks are much more inconsistent on the 3C., without doubt. All of the others are predictable, and all are comfortable. Visually, I cannot determine the cause, so I don't use the 3C. Mark's quality and consistency are great.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Curry rims? Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
OK - I admit it has been 25 years or so since I played the Reeves 42 series, but I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the Bach or Curry 3C. The only Curry rim I thought was even slightly similar to the Reeves was the 8.5 rim and I didn't find it as comfortable as the Reeves.

I confess that I'd previously ignored that the OP was going from a Reeves 42 to any 3C. I've had Reeves 42 and 43N size pieces and the 43N approximated the Bach 3C rim shape/feel pretty well but the 42 felt tiny by comparison. Coming off a Reeves 42 I think a user would trend towards a Bach 6 or even a 10.5 (I've not played anything in size 8/8.5).

FWIW I never got along with the Reeves pieces I've tried on the Bb but given time and money I'd seriously consider getting a 43NHF for the flugel. A friend got a 43HF and it sounds incredible.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Curry rims? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

I suggest you to try the Curry #2 rim. Don't be fooled by numbers, it feels like a Bach 3 on the lips but the rim imho is most similar to reeves rims.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Locutus2k. I've not pressed the issue and just ordered another Purviance.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: