• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece safari

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jharpemusic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece safari Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I'm a trumpet player in Tampa and, in the last couple of years, I've discovered that really small mouthpieces work best for me. Like, 10.5 rim size small.

Like many, I fell victim to the mantra of bigger mouthpieces being for advanced players and smaller pieces being for weak players/beginners.

So, I'm currently searching for a piece that will help with more commercial stuff on my Bach 43. I've been eyeing the Bach commercial series. Currently I'm on a 10 3/4 CW that a friend gave me. It responds great but sometimes the tone sounds a bit bland. Especially in the middle register. It'd be nice if it were just a bit wider in the rim. I'm currently also playing a Yamaha 7b4 on my Carolbrass horn. So far it feels good, especially for jazz solo stuff.

Thoughts? Opinions? Much appreciated everyone.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get more responses if you check out the different forums’ focus prior to creating a post.

IMO, this post would do better in the mouthpieces forum. If you agree you might send a PM to Moderators asking them to move it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reeves 42 D. Excellent and in your mouthpiece size range. If yu're not familiar with Reeves, check out: https://bobreeves.com/mouthpieces/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
DWJ1721

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for mouthpiece ideas. Any here?
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have not found the online Mouthpiece Comparator, you may try playing around with the site, link: https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=A006900&mpc2id=B042400

I believe you may like something like a Parduba 5-1/2 or 6. Both have a more comfortable rim than the Bach 10-3/4CW.

Regards,
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
kurth83

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safari's can be expensive.

Larger isn't better, just a different tool. Depends on what you are and what you are trying to do, there is no one size for all.

That said, I favor larger rims for classical work, and smaller rims for other stuff.

When I did it, the rim shape was my first thing to identify, once I had a rim shape (somewhat more rounded in my case, words like comfortable are meaningless - a wider flatter rim vs a thinner more rounded one are the usual variations). Rim profile was relatively easy, could be tested with inexpensive stock pieces. Then the rim diameter was the next thing (I tried everything from a 7 to a 1). Then I experimented with cup depth (and cup shape V vs bowl cups mostly, and depth of the bowls A,B,C,D), throat size (tried 20-26 with a drill), and eventually backbores (although I never really figured out the backbore thing, just slightly more open worked better for me).

I ended up with almost $2k of std and custom mouthpieces from Schilke and Curry, eventually got the piece I was looking for, and learned a whole lot along the way.

I wish I had done this years ago too. I am a better all around player on a mouthpiece that works well for me.

It sounds like you are pretty close however already, maybe try some different rim shapes and cups in the sizes near a 10 and see if anything gets better or worse.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever mouthpiece safari you go on, it needs to be out in the wild and not just at home. You need to be playing the pieces in rehearsals, or gigs, whatever your musical life consists of. Playing a mouthpiece by yourself in your house is a lot different than taking it into a 4 hour gig, or say, a week of band rehearsals.
brassmoose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a sage piece of advice out there that goes: "play on the smallest mouthpiece (rim & cup) that you functionally can". I wish I had heeded this advice $2,000 ago. And another piece of advice: "only make small changes and address a single problem". So true.

And what I've learned most of all, over the past 9 months and aforementioned dollars, is that a mouthpiece ain't worth squat until you've gigged on it. I've found lots of mouthpieces that felt and/or sounded great, but were utterly useless 15 minutes into a 45 minute gig or a 3 hour rehearsal.

Then I took a touch up few lessons from a great player & even some of those mouthpieces were no longer any good.

Alas, after time & money, I'm back to my original size, but only a slightly smaller rim size & a slightly shallower cup & slightly tighter backbore. To fix my 2 issues, which were more vastly solved by several lessons. Sigh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: