• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet in the Orchestra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you played Cornet in the orchestra?
Yes
70%
 70%  [ 24 ]
No
29%
 29%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 34

TerryAndreas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Cornet in the Orchestra Reply with quote

I was wondering how many of you have played cornet in the orchestra.

If yes, what pieces and how successful has it been?

Have you played Tchaikovsky Ballet's on Cornet?

I've been asked to play one of the Piston parts in Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique this year and was considering whether to play it on cornet or B flat trumpet.

After much research I've found that although the parts were written for cornets, Berlioz was not keen on their sound and only wrote for them as they could play chromatically, as opposed to only notes within the harmonic series.

Piccolo trumpets sound nothing like the Natural trumpet, so why should we assume that a modern cornet would sound like a 19th Century cornet.

Do I play the Piston part with my Bach Strad Cornet with Wick 5CU mouthpiece or just use my Bflat Strad Trumpet?
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, this is a tricky question.

In many of the major orchestras in the US, players will typically use a modern cornet for these parts - but not necessarily with a very "cornetty" mouthpiece. Speaking for myself, I tend to use a Getzen C Cornet on these kinds of parts (with a Bach 3 or 6 cornet mouthpiece), but have also seen a number of players use the Yamaha 9435 C Cornet (which features a trumpet shank) with something like their standard orchestral trumpet mouthpiece. Whether these combinations produce the historically intended sound is probably difficult to determine, especially considering the supposed reason that the part was written for cornet at all (the use of chromatic pitches with valves).

Modern trumpets have much more conical tubing than the valveless trumpets of that era - you could even argue that in order to achieve the most "authentic" sound, you could perform the cornet parts on a modern trumpet and the trumpet parts on a true natural trumpet. I'm only sort of joking!

In your case, it really depends on the group you're playing with and what you want to do. The music director may have an opinion about this to break a tie, but truthfully these parts are equally playable on both modern trumpets and cornets. Have fun - what a fabulous piece to get to perform!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amateur with 40 years of non-cornet experience here so take it with the usual grain of salt. I don’t know if you are talking pro or amateur orchestra but most amateurs probably won’t have a C cornet (rare and expensive and rarely used). However, a Bb cornet may be a little too soft in my opinion - after all the Symphonie Fantastique is in parts quite loud. Maybe an American style long cornet?

Just found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HgqPpjIH5c. The high brass seems to be a mixture of trumpets and cornets, not sure but I think I even see an Eb cornet …
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played Lieutenant Kije, Symphonie Fantastique, and maybe Roman Carnival all on cornet with orchestra.

I played all on a Bach 184L cornet with a 3C mouthpiece. I like more true cornet pieces, but when I play them, it's very difficult for me to project the part in any ensemble I've been in - whether in an orchestra section or a brass septet.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
random_abstract

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of you orchestra guys ever just use a C trumpet with a deeper mouthpiece (like a Curry TC) to simulate a cornet on this repertoire?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stravinsky's Petrouchka 1911: cornet
Stravinsky's Petrouchka 1947: trumpet
Jon Kaplan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

random_abstract wrote:
Any of you orchestra guys ever just use a C trumpet with a deeper mouthpiece (like a Curry TC) to simulate a cornet on this repertoire?

I personally haven't, but it's totally conceivable that someone has - the reason for this is that many professional orchestras in the US have contract defined overscale payments for "doubling", or using something besides a standard Bb, C, or Eb/D trumpet in performance. The extra pay for those services is intended to compensate the additional maintenance and practice of the listed doubles, including but not limited to cornet, flugelhorn, rotary, and piccolo trumpet. Every orchestra handles doubling differently, but it does act as an incentive to go ahead and use a cornet in the scenario where it is being requested by the instrumentation of a piece we're performing instead of using a mouthpiece to approximate it.

On the other hand, if I'm trying to get a much softer or "fluffier" sound on something intended for the Bb or C piston trumpet I tend to use a Curry TF style mouthpiece. I've had several Curry TF pieces in the past, some cut for my Parke rims, but now I'm playing on a Vennture made copy of my 3TF with my Parke style rim in a one piece Bach blank. One of my former teachers, David Hickman, insisted that his students carry a mouthpiece like this with them at all times for certain emergencies (like the music director asking you to play something softer than you're comfortable with). It has saved my butt on numerous occasions.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

random_abstract wrote:

That is a potential solution, but maybe not the one the composer intended. Berlioz frequently wrote for two trumpets and two cornets, and the cornet parts were chromatic, while the trumpet parts were more fanfare-like and playable on a natural trumpet. Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture also has two cornet/two trumpets, but the trumpets are chromatic. Saint-Saens Suite Algérienne also has the 2/2 scoring, and those parts are vastly different in terms of content. There are just a plethora of examples from the Romantic Era where the 2/2 scoring is done for more than just happenstance.

I specifically mention Berlioz because he also wrote a Treatise on orchestration and instrumentation that discusses this as well. It is clear that he *and others* truly saw the cornet as a separate timbre and a unique voice from the trumpet in the orchestra. Whether or not we adhere to their scoring wishes is the choice of the music director of our groups. While it is certain that the instruments of today are different from the instruments then, it is also true that the composers orchestrated for a timbre in their heads. Our modern choices can approximate their ideas, as there are modern instruments available that can recreate the traditional sound.

Just my opinion!

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in one more topic for this discussion:

doubling pay...

Ben
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt any professional musician would use a cornet only as a double.

The sound and projection are completely different on cornet than trumpet. The reason to use it is for that.

The sound produced is of prime importance, not the "gear" aspect of it.

GR
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A discussion from a few years ago:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1565968

The cornet part (was it written for Arban?) does not exist in a vacuum -
Here are PDF scores to get an idea of the projection necessary with the surrounding instrumentation:
http://www.hberlioz.com/Scores/sfantastique.htm

Note the Un Bal part was written for cornet in A... I have the solution.

A BB cornet might lack projection - a trumpet is to trumpety - the Conn Vic 80A cornet with slides pulled to A. (It was designed to play in both A and Bb)

(I now will take cover to escape the flurry of used SpitBalls and empty Al Cass bottles.)
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea about the Conn Victor - or, use even older style cornets fitted with separate leadpipes for Bb and A. These instruments would also be a better match for the sound concept of the composers of the time.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Good idea about the Conn Victor - or, use even older style cornets fitted with separate leadpipes for Bb and A. These instruments would also be a better match for the sound concept of the composers of the time.

I have no doubt that Stravinsky wrote "L'Histoire" for just such an instrument.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
etc-etc wrote:

I have no doubt that Stravinsky wrote "L'Histoire" for just such an instrument.

Indeed, on the first page of Stravinsky's score (J.W. Chester Ltd., 1924) it states "Cornet à pistons in La" which is cornet in A.

On page 11, it is "Cornet à pistons in Si" (cornet in Bb); on page 14 it is back to cornet in A, and so on.

Stravinsky's clarinet part also alternates between A and Bb (sometimes in sync, and sometimes in opposite sync to the cornet part)

https://imslp.org/wiki/L'histoire_du_soldat_(Stravinsky%2C_Igor)
tomterriff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently playing Piston 1 part on Tchaikovsky's Ballet and am using my Getzen C cornet with a Picket 1-1/2C mouthpiece. This is the same cup I use for orchestral trumpet. IMO the Getzen C is a wonderful horn for orchestral work.

This setup gives a little delicateness to the Neapolitan Dance without detracting from the necessary lightness and precision. It also blends well on the unison passages with Tpt 1 in the earlier dances.

I have also used a cornet on Symphonie Fantastique and like how it contrasts with the trumpet parts.

Play on!
Picc - Benchmark, Schilke P7
Cornet - Getzen 3850 Bb, Getzen 3810 C
Flugel - Selmer Paris 62, Selmer Concept
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, if I were you I would use a trumpet. Simply because you will be competing with the trombones that usually play pretty loud on this piece. It will be more work for you to be able to keep up with them on a cornet. If you have a trumpet, then at least you won't be going to a gunfight armed with a knife.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: