• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Knowing When to Proceed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irith
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Knowing When to Proceed Reply with quote

So I've been following the Getting Started thread schedule for a while now and seeing pretty nice overall results - after a few abortive forays into Caruso in the past, I think I'm finally approaching it in a positive way. Just got up to where I'm adding the chromatic pedals for the first time.

However, I've seen it stated that you shouldn't necessarily move to a new lesson each week if you're not ready. Yet I'm unclear on what exactly the signals should be - when a given exercise/routine feels comfortable and/or the execution is consistent? A certain range threshold, depending on the exercise? Or just err on the side of moving quite slowly if in doubt?

Just idle curiosity really. I've spent longer on a couple of lessons when it seemed right, but I've also moved on with others before being entirely comfortable and it's worked itself out.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caveats: I've taken lessons with Caruso students (and the PH async class), but did not go through "The Program" directed by a teacher. Take everything I say with the appropriate grains of salt

My experience with doing it in a self-directed way was that when I tried to move on too soon, I knew. It wasn't necessarily extra uncomfortable, the exercises wouldn't "click" - I think I remember spending quite some time being "stuck" at LSL Fifths - the greater intervals didn't work.

I'd suggest erring on the side of moving slowly, but curious if any of the regulars have more specific guidance as well.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first studied with Carmine I was flying to New York, so I would often go a couple of months between lessons. He told me there was no hurry to move forward. He told me when it was time for me to move to the next exercise and it was not weekly or precisely like either the book or like the Getting Started threads. With the exception of spending 2-5 weeks on each lesson, I would say with confidence that the progression through the work outlined by Charly Raymond in the original Getting Started threads should work for almost everyone.

When do I move on, or move a student to the next level? Well, you never perfect these calisthenics so they aren't supposed to get to a point of "good enough." I suggest staying on each "week" of the Getting Started threads for 2 or 3 weeks (longer if you don't do the entire routine every day). Then move on whether you feel ready or not. All of the intervals will eventually be reviewed regularly once you have been through all of the regular, SLS, & LSL intervals and start practicing from the review chart.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: