• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DIY Caruso possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:11 pm    Post subject: DIY Caruso possible? Reply with quote

I'm a little confused about some seemingly contradictory advice.

I have been told by a couple of Caruso teachers that it is not advisable to study Caruso, except from a qualified Caruso teacher in person. That you might do irreparable harm to yourself.

And yet Julie Landsman, horn instructor at Juilliard and first horn at the Met. for 25 years, produces instructional videos that can be studied from by any DIY player out there.

Admittedly, it's preferable to have private, expert study, but does the one cancel out the other?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 'playing the exercises' that are associated with Caruso the core of the method?

Or, is it similar to the exercises being the 'training equipment' that Caruso used in the production of 'training programs' for individual students?

Perhaps as a 'muscle trainer' might prefer to use dumbbells as the equipment of choice, but would tailor the specific movements and weights to suit the needs of each person?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Kehaulani's questions, I think you can do it without private instruction, but you'll be limited to a subset to do "safely". There's a lot of nuance in the how and the why (as can be seen from the questions that get asked in this forum).

The method/routine something that absolutely should be tailored to the individual student, both in terms of pace (how often to move through the "core" material) and then what specific extensions might be needed/used/appropriate.

So, could you do it entirely self-directed? Yes you can - but you'll need to be extra diligent in terms of following the (four) rules as well as patience and probably take things very slow, including probably skipping a fair number of exercises.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, bagman.

In the meantime, I contacted Miss Landsman, herself. Didn't know if she'd be bothered by the likes of me , but she answered promptly with,

"Just follow instructions and do not ever over do it or play with pain!"

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Caruso possible? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I have been told by a couple of Caruso teachers that it is not advisable to study Caruso, except from a qualified Caruso teacher in person. That you might do irreparable harm to yourself.

Just out of curiosity: what kind of harm are you referring to exactly? Since I'm unfamiliar with the Caruso method, I've been reading the 'Getting started' thread stickied here. So far, there's nothing in there that seems like a health hazard...and the sticky contains various references to DIYing Caruso (indicating that in 2001 the mods at least didn't seem to think it was impossible).
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Caruso possible? Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Just out of curiosity: what kind of harm are you referring to exactly?

You're asking the wrong person. Maybe someone in the Caruso Forum would explain what "harmful" is.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
irith
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far from an expert but here's my two cents/personal experience.

I've tried Caruso a couple of times before - some brief exposure to the Six Notes back in high school, then some later attempts on my own with the actual book. I was first introduced to it as a "make your chops strong!", "get crazy range" muscle building type thing and carried that idea forward. It kept making me feel stiff, tense, and screwing with my sound, without really delivering the kind of endurance/range gains I thought it would.

But I was still curious, and after carefully reviewing a lot of material in the book, on this forum, and elsewhere from real Caruso acolytes (like the Landsman videos), I've had a lot more success with it this time around. Instead of trying to give my chops an intense workout while doing them, I'm seeking to do it as efficiently and precisely as I can - almost the polar opposite. I believe (please forgive the paraphrasing) it was PH that once said you should feel better, not worse, once you finish your Caruso stuff for the day, which was a big a-ha moment for me.

I'm sure I could be making better progress with a good Caruso teacher, but I am making discernible gains and feel that I'm on the right track in a broad sense. It's made my playing more reliable overall, not just a range/endurance specialty thing.

So I think it's possible, but take it slow and follow the instructions carefully. It's kind of like a lot (all?) of methods/schools in that there are common misconceptions and pitfalls that can screw you up with improper understanding. I don't think badly done Caruso is really any worse than badly done versions of anything else.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Caruso possible? Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
... Just out of curiosity: what kind of harm are you referring to exactly? ...

--------------------------------------------
With any 'method' it is important to know the difference between the exercises that are meant to teach and train basic functions, and the exercises that are for developing 'playing style and musicality'.

If a player becomes rigid in always using a particular basic function, that can inhibit the learning and use of other basics that are needed for other situations.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the potential harmful side effects?

1) There are no harmful side effects (except possible isolated stiff days right after you adjust your routine to the next set of calisthenics. IF YOU DO THE EXERCISES PROPERLY!

So many people misunderstand the goal of CC calisthenic practice. Then they try to make it about strengthening muscles and that is absolutely incorrect and leads to problems in many cases.

2) The most important thing about doing Caruso calisthenics is a rigid adherence to THE FOUR RULES. If you can't recite the four rules from memory and explain the rules and their purpose in your own words you probably shouldn't be practicing Caruso exercises...and you definitely shouldn't be teaching the drills to others.

3) "Trumpet playing isn't like weightlifting. Trumpet playing is like juggling."

4) The focus of CC calisthenic practice is to perfect your rhythmic sense. As your rhythm improves, your coordination improves. Muscular activity falls into synchronization. Subdivide the beat and focus on timing.

5) The conscious mind focuses 90% on mentally subdividing the beat and playing in perfect rhythm. This is doubly true when things start to feel bad or results coming out of the instrument do not match expectations. Ignore the sound and feel and focus your thinking on rhythm.

6) The conscious mind obsesses on rhythm. The unconsicuos mind makes adjustments in how you are playing over time. The conscious mind stays out of the way by focusing on subdividing the beat.

7) Repetition (without conscious fixing or adjusting the physical) gives your unconscious mind the opportunity to find your own better way.

8- Balance is important. Some people overdo CC Calisthenics. Calisthenic practice should never be more than 25-50% of your practice. You should also work on other things, including (most importantly) playing music for at least 50% of your practice. Too much calisthenic practice can put you out of balance and produce the same kinds of negative reactions as using CC exercises to "get stronger."

So, you don't need a teacher if you understand the goals and purposes and adhere religiously to the procedures, especially The Four Rules.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with PH. If you are worried about DIY Caruso then try this:

MCFB states you should not repeat an interval study for 15 minutes but you can play non-Caruso stuff during that time.

I suggest not repeating an interval study until the next practice session.

I suggest staying on a cycle of Regular Intervals for months before adding SLS or LSL.

I suggest not doing 3 intervals a day (Reg, SLS, LSL) for a long time. At my age I only do 1 a day and I am a Caruso student.

Powerful medicine. Follow dosing rules!!

Best of luck
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Pat.

Stump, I plan on sticking to this for some time to come:
https://daveballou.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/the_basic_caruso.pdf

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation. “Irrepairable harm” sounded like a ruptured diaphram or something to me. But I can see how using the right approach to the excercises described makes a big difference. I suppose it helps if you have a teacher for that.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: