• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music education or performance for undergrad?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Some of the most effective educators are also solid performers. When you can back up what you are teaching with your performance, the impact is much deeper and stronger.

And more practical. I had a million and one questions about wind support of a long time LA first-call studio player. I asked him about this and he said, "Cough". "See?"

Another time, similar situation, this time about right-hand playing position. The expert aid, "Hold your hand like you're holding a tennis ball". No further explanation, no embellishment, no micro-analysis. "Just the facts, ma'm".

No over/micro analysis in great detail. Just a short common-sense and practical response.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
BradleySTello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that getting a degree has never been superfluous. But the choice is yours of course.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has already been beaten around pretty well, but I'll toss this on top of the heap.

I know a guy who recently graduated with a performance degree in jazz guitar.

He's currently tending bar and teaching students out of a music store and skype.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got a performance degree. In recent times, playing opportunities for jazz performers has not been kind. There's not necessary a direct correlation between his job opportunities and his degree status.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
He got a performance degree. In recent times, playing opportunities for jazz performers has not been kind. There's not necessarily a direct correlation between his job opportunities and his degree status.

There was an article published somewhere - I can't remember where exactly or what the specific number was, but the title of the article was a number - somewhere in the 400s IIRC - and it was the number of trumpet players who auditioned for a single orchestral position.

Doesn't it always boil down to job available opportunities and whether or not a particular musician makes the grade, or at the very least knows the right people?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got.

One day, waiting for my composition lesson to begin, I could see people coming and going in/out of the music school's main entrance.

I said to my professor,
"There should be a sign over that portal, 'caveat emptor'".

He looked at me and said,
"You have to create your own vacancy".

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no doubt! The main reason this guy isn't gigging is because he's almost an extreme introvert. He's got ability - certainly plenty of chops - but he's not the kind of guy who hustles on behalf of himself.

I look back over the course of my life and playing career and I could have played more, but I played about as much as I wanted to. Living here in the Baltimore DC area there's plenty of opportunity for someone who wants to hustle and create opportunities for themselves. You kind of just have to go for it.

A couple of cases in point. A friend of mine owned and operated a music store near Waldorf, MD, and he employed a guitar teacher in the studio spaces there. This guy was a fantastic player, and one day he came in and said that he was making his goodbyes and that he was moving to Nashville to try to make it. His name is Rich Eckhardt - he does a ton of studio work, and he tours with Toby Keith's as his electric guitar player.

Another story is a guy I know - he was "my guy" in the drum department at Guitar Center in Glen Burnie, MD - when those guys were still paid on commission, I didn't buy anything in there if he wasn't there. One day I went in to pick up something and he said that this was the time I'd see him, that he was moving to LA to try to do something more with being a player - he felt that the Baltimore area didn't have what he felt he needed to go where he wanted to go. His name is Will "Ill Will" Dorsey - he's the drummer for Ice T's band "Body Count."

Part of making it is having the guts to go for it.
- ACB Doubler

Last edited by trickg on Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore, far out. An aside, my paternal great-something grandfather came across to Maryland on Lord Calvert's expedition.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: