• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Music Scholarships

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full-ride music scholarships are very rare at most schools. Unless you are already a top-notch player, I wouldn't count on having all of your expenses taken care of. That said, there are some schools where if you're admitted to the program you essentially get a full ride. MSU's jazz department is like this, which was one of the reasons I decided to apply and eventually go there.

Scholarships and out-of-state tuition waivers are much more common and depend on how well you play and how much a program wants you to attend.

A couple of things;

1. DO NOT go into massive amounts of debt for a music degree. If you're planning on attending a school and you're not getting a considerable financial package (at or over 50%), you probably shouldn't go to that school. You want to be at a place that wants you to be there, and universities show their interest in you be offering aid.

I know there are exceptions to this . . . people who entered into music school who were really behind, got no money, practiced their butts off and made it, but they're the exception. FWIW, I was one of those people (undergrad).

2. Do not go to a place where you are the best player.

3. Find a school with a teacher that aligns with the kind of music you want to play and also has a teaching style that works with how you learn.

4. Try to attend a school that has a music scene. Part of learning how to be a professional trumpet player is having the opportunity to work. Not to toot my own school's horn, but that's one of the things that makes UT a great place to be - people can really work here and receive a first-rate education (while avoiding massive debt).
NickF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
Full-ride music scholarships are very rare at most schools. Unless you are already a top-notch player, I wouldn't count on having all of your expenses taken care of. That said, there are some schools where if you're admitted to the program you essentially get a full ride. MSU's jazz department is like this, which was one of the reasons I decided to apply and eventually go there.

Scholarships and out-of-state tuition waivers are much more common and depend on how well you play and how much a program wants you to attend.

A couple of things;

1. DO NOT go into massive amounts of debt for a music degree. If you're planning on attending a school and you're not getting a considerable financial package (at or over 50%), you probably shouldn't go to that school. You want to be at a place that wants you to be there, and universities show their interest in you be offering aid.

I know there are exceptions to this . . . people who entered into music school who were really behind, got no money, practiced their butts off and made it, but they're the exception. FWIW, I was one of those people (undergrad).

3. Find a school with a teacher that aligns with the kind of music you want to play and also has a teaching style that works with how you learn.

4. Try to attend a school that has a music scene. Part of learning how to be a professional trumpet player is having the opportunity to work. Not to toot my own school's horn, but that's one of the things that makes UT a great place to be - people can really work here and receive a first-rate education (while avoiding massive debt). The article https://papersowl.com/examples/ethnography/ had interesting ethnographic essays from popular authors on this topic.

Good advice on choosing a school) When I was choosing my place of study after school and writing my graduation essay for an applicant, I also thought so. You can also add that you don’t need to invest all the money in tools, but I think this is not relevant for elementary students)))

Last edited by NickF on Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not getting a full scholarship doesn't have to be an either-or situation. I got a Graduate Assistanceship at UNT that waived my tuition. I had to come up with living expenses, but I also had the G.I. Bill. Those two combined allowed me to finish my MM at UNT debt-free.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
NickF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickF wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:

A couple of things;

4. Try to attend a school that has a music scene. Part of learning how to be a professional trumpet player is having the opportunity to work. Not to toot my own school's horn, but that's one of the things that makes UT a great place to be - people can really work here and receive a first-rate education (while avoiding massive debt).

Good advice on choosing a school) When I was choosing my place of study after school and writing my graduation essay for an applicant, I also thought so. You can also add that you don’t need to invest all the money in tools, but I think this is not relevant for elementary students)))

By the way, I tried to explain to my neighbor today that you shouldn’t invest all your money in an instrument if you are just starting to attend music classes, but apparently it’s useless. Still, for some people, the brand means a lot.
NickF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Not getting a full scholarship doesn't have to be an either-or situation. I got a Graduate Assistanceship at UNT that waived my tuition. I had to come up with living expenses, but I also had the G.I. Bill. Those two combined allowed me to finish my MM at UNT debt-free.

It's great that you manage to achieve your goals, unfortunately many people get into huge loans when they get an education and then pay them off for years.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's balancing your goals with your opportunities and keeping them manageable.

It may mean going from what I did or attending a Community College for the first t wo years then a State University for the second two. Or doing a stint in a service band where you get Tuition Assistance while on active duty, then the G.I. Bill. There are many ways. The challenge is finding a combination of lower cost education with juggling Tuition Assistances, Work-Study. etc., all the while keeping one eye on the total cost.

And just because a cheaper way to go, at least in the beginning, doesn't have to mean a big drop in quality. There are plenty of Community Colleges which have local pros as adjunct faculty. And, if you're lucky, the academics may still be substantial but not be as demanding as if you jumped right into required, non-music classes at, say, Rice.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: