• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for a unicorn trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that Kanstuls often feature firesale prices compared to Bach/Yamaha/Schilke. Their Besson models in particular are often in the low $1,000s, and my 991 (their Connstellation clone) was not much more than that. Even their flagship horns - their various Committee-style models, the 1500 with the copper bell, and the 1500-a heavy model with the bronze bell, can go for under $2,000. Personally, I'd consider my 991 a bargain at twice what I paid for it.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:

If you really think you are going t be playing a lot, and you have the extra money, treat yourself to a horn you'll want to play for a long time. Amortize $500 or $750 out over how many years you have left to play. Doesn't seem all that extravagant compared to getting an "OK for now" horn that you'll want to replace at some point.

BTW The YTR 6335 is "the one that got away" that I regret the most. My old college roommate talked me into trading with him, he still plays it everyday... and I still miss it. The things you do for friends (sigh). Great all around horn!!!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying out my large collection of trumpets all fall and spring to find the "best section trumpet" for playing in our concert band. I sit at the first of the 2nd parts in a trumpet section of about 12 guys. I finally got to the horn that had the best tone, could cut through woodwinds and the low brass when needed.....

Drumroll please ..... The BEST SECTION TRUMPET in my horn closet is a 60 year old STRAD 181 37 ML CORNET! I made my bones on a similar horn years,ago. I got this one about 15 years back. It was pretty sad looking, old cheap lacquer, and had been buffed where about half the bell stamp was visible. I sprung for a new silver plate job, and gold trim kit and trigger. pushed. I have only about $800 in it at that. I suppose the lightened bell may have helped with the "sparkle" in the sound.

You can get the 37 cornets usually for less than $750 if you watch. I plugged in a Schilke 16B4, and it lit up like a Roman candle when I puhed. With a deeper cup, like a 1 or even a 5B, it is more tame. But nobody would mistake that one for a BBB horn. But on the old warhorse solos, WOW!

Open your options and you might be surprised.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting a 37 cornet for a while. I'll say that I haven't seen one under about 1200 in decent shape.

I wonder about them as a section instrument. My experience is that I can hear smaller instruments better (closer to my ears) but I have no idea how they project out or blend with others.
Aj

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I've been wanting a 37 cornet for a while. I'll say that I haven't seen one under about 1200 in decent shape.

I wonder about them as a section instrument. My experience is that I can hear smaller instruments better (closer to my ears) but I have no idea how they project out or blend with others.

I sold a 90s 37 Bach Strad Cornet just last year in mint condition for $1500 AUD. Had a 1st valve trigger. Nice horn, but it wasn't getting much use. Perhaps I should have kept it?

Anyway, the new owner is loving it, so that's always a nice feeling.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have a King 600 look at a vintage King 1055t silver flair.

Of course you could get a bach 37, 43, or my fav bach a 72. I do l9ve my vintage King more than I like the bachs I have had.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: