• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite / Hardest broadway trumpet parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjn543

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Favorite / Hardest broadway trumpet parts Reply with quote

Curious about what people think are the best or the most difficult broadway musicals for pit trumpet? Is there anything that requires a lot of range or stamina, or solo moments? Or just your favorites?
humor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played a super ton, but American in Paris, and currently, Paradise Square stick out. High notes and licks are considerations, but the stylistic versatility needed is what makes those books so challenging.
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time I got called in to read this show and I remember the lead book being challenging. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYS1G9ZLOio
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most challenging for me, endurance-wise, was Newsies. One I have never played, but I understand is a real bear, is Hot Feet.

I'm interested to see what Tim chimes in with....

HTH

Ben
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it's the hardest in anyone's opinion but I've been listening to "Curtains" a lot lately and it's got some crazy stuff going on, and it's nonstop.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I doubt it's the hardest in anyone's opinion but I've been listening to "Curtains" a lot lately and it's got some crazy stuff going on, and it's nonstop.

I’ve done that one. But it’s been a while. I don’t remember anything super crazy though.
kjn543

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently played Sweeney Todd and Company, and neither were too bad (company was a bit jazzy and more trumpet prominent). Been listening to the Producers a bunch recently too and it sounds like the trumpets do some heavy lifting, but maybe not
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
The most challenging for me, endurance-wise, was Newsies. One I have never played, but I understand is a real bear, is Hot Feet.

I'm interested to see what Tim chimes in with....

HTH

Ben

Hot Feet was ridiculous. Unison dubba F#s, 1st book had As & Bs, several well-established NY Lead players were waived off early in Act I. Lines that were written more for strings & clarinetists. Horn section was completely enclosed in Plexi-glass so no ambient sound could escape the pit...it was a show that when the last note was over you felt a relief of survival, not of accomplishment.

A well-deserved short-run show, it was basically the story of "42nd Street" set to the music of Earth, Wind & Fire.

Bobby Burns (EWF), who I worked with a bunch in LA including my brass quintet, came to see the show one night along with everyone else in EWF. I met him at the stage door & he said "Wow - we don't have to play half that s**t" and I replied "Yeah...but WE do!!"

Young Frankenstein "Puttin' On The Ritz" is a blow, especially the last 5 pages plus all its page turns & key changes.

There are a bunch of shows that have segments that are a challenge, but it all comes down to pacing & intelligent playing.

I'm about to finish a nice run of Spamalot which is bunches of fun to play. Probably the widest variety of styles in any show.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
aaron_frish2442

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just a student in my bachelor's degree, but the hardest musical I have played so far is Tale of Two Cities. There were a lot of challenging parts. It was especially challenging having to switch between Bb trumpet and piccolo on multiple occasions. It was a very fun musical to perform in though!
Bach Stradivarius “Philadelphia”
Stomvi Elite Piccolo
CNYTrumpet

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished "Newsies" and it's kind of a blow. Only 1 trumpet book and the horn is on your face for most of the big dance numbers. A fun book to play through. I've done a couple of runs of "Into the Woods" and there are some challenging parts, especially if you play from the Bflat and not the C book. Some others include West Side Story & Pajama Game.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsies. Any show that starts off with an intentional trumpet solo...

But right off the bat there's a HUGE mistake!

The bottom of the 1st page indicates there's a 2-bar rest after the page turn: V.S. [2 Bars]

Don't believe it. Ya gotta play not only in the first measure after the page turn but it's a downbeat, too!

Other than that it's a fun book. Rather ridiculous high F in the bows tossed in for no good reason.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: