• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke vs Yamaha

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha vs Schilke Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Kenny,
Yes, the only difference in the X3 and B3 are the bells.

Yes. If you have a tunable bell horn, you can turn an X3 into a B3 by getting the B3 bell. I have thought about getting some extra bells for my X3L. When I talked to Schilke about it, they said they would want to have the horn in hand to get it right.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that I can color the sound more on the "Beryllium" bell on my C3Lb than I could on any of the several yellow brass Bb Schilkes I've owned.

I can easily get a rather warm sound on the "Beryllium" bell down low and in the middle register. I can get it to really sparkle quite easily above the staff.

It's also the quickest responding horn I ever played.
That might be also attributed to the tuning bell, but I always have the Schilke moveable brace attached, so that might negate some of the attributes of the tuning bell.
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha vs Schilke Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Yes. If you have a tunable bell horn, you can turn an X3 into a B3 by getting the B3 bell. I have thought about getting some extra bells for my X3L. When I talked to Schilke about it, they said they would want to have the horn in hand to get it right.

Just a note to say that fixed-bell Schilkes do play/feel different from their tuning-bell counterparts, as least IMO. I learned this the hard way when I had a B1 I liked converted (by Schilke) to a tuning-bell setup, and liked it less when I got it back.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can turn an X3L into a B3L, which is not quite the same as an X3 into a B3.

Schilke sells something called a "sound post" which is a bell-side brace for tuning bell trumpets. It doesn't make the horn play exactly like a fixed bell, but it's a lot closer. I would certainly consider that option.

Schilke bells are also not cheap. I'd certainly consider buying a second horn (used) over a multi-horn kit (new).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: