• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Introducing the S-Mute!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan.Sobieralski wrote:
Thats the great thing about this design. The mute can be made to work with practically any bell flare. In this case I would supply you with some size 2.5 corks that would provide some additional adjustment for wider bell flares, and ultimately I could make custom sizes for you if those were still too small.

If you order just remind me you plan to use the mute with wider bells and ill include some thicker corks with your mute.

Nathan -

Thanks for shipping so quickly - the mute arrived today!

Answering my own question:
    In the straight mute configuration, a 2 or larger works with the Wild Thing.

In the cup configuration, the 2.5 and 3 corks will work. Using the 2.5 cork, the cup almost touches the bell, while the 3 has about a 1/4" gap between the cup and the bell

Nice sound from the mute, too!

2014 Flip Oakes Wild Thing flugelhorn (copper bell)
2014 Flip Oakes Celebration trumpet
2005 Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet
2002 Flip Oakes Wild Thing short cornet
1976 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
1951 Olds Ambassador cornet
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-Mute Review

I have the screw-on convertible straight/cup/plunger mute in blue, with a flexible cup/plunger.

The corks are ingenious: modular snap-in cork assemblies of varying thickness. Typically, I start with the thickest corks, and use a rasp to file them down bit by bit, until the low F# pops. Filing too much means removing the corks and starting over with new thick corks. With the S-Mute, when the corks are too thin, you just pop in a thicker set. Easy to adjust, thicker or thinner, no gluing or filing, change them any time you like. Use the same mute with very different bells. The cork assemblies are loose and rattle a bit, which concerned me at first, but when the mute is seated in the bell, there is no motion or rattling from the corks. This is a very innovative, clever, and effective system, and it might be useful to discuss it with a patent attorney.

Straight mute: it's a nice clean, dry sound, with little buzz. Two players using these straight mutes can get an excellent blend. I think that's my biggest compliment for this mute: The blend with two trumpets with two S-Mute straight mutes. It's not a very distinctive sound, but I like that. A simple, very useful sound. I did not notice any intonation issues of any kind.

Cup mute: with the cup about 1/4" from the bell, it's an excellent round cup sound with just enough edge, which I could see using for soloing. Cup mutes really have to blend with the section, so for section work, I'd use the H&B (or Denis Wick), or whatever the principle or lead player uses. Note that this is called an "adjustable cup mute" but you can't adjust the cup relative to the rest of the mute. It's not like a Denis Wick cup mute. It's more like an H&B, where the distance from the cup to the bell can be adjusted by changing the corks. On the S-Mute, this is easy, and reversible.

Plunger: Honestly, I don't really like the sound. Also, I'm used to a rubber sink plunger with a hole in it. If I were to adopt this mute as a plunger, I would want to cut a hole in it. It looks like that would be possible with little to no change in the cup mute sound or functionality. Cutting a hole might not be possible with the magnetic model. But the sound isn't really what I'm looking for. No complaints, just personal preference.

Attachment: I have the screw-on, so I can't say much about the magnetic version. Attaching and removing the screw version is very easy, and it's secure when you screw it on. I suspect that it would suffer from wear-and-tear if the cup were removed and detatched frequently, so I would probably keep a cup-mute and a straight-mute-without-cup version rather then putting wear on the screw threads. There is not much thread; you rotate the cup less than 360 between fully off and fully on. So if a thread were to fail, there's no backup thread. Perhaps the magnetic version would address all of these concerns, but in my case, I would try to limit the attachment/removal cycles to maximize the life of the mutes.

The blue finish is unusual for a mute. It looks sort of "lathed" with fine concentric rings on the surface, but I think they are artifacts of the SLA, not machining. The flexible cup is a slightly different color, more sparkly. Although it's secondary to the sound, this is a good-looking mute. Solid blue color, no red paint to wear off!

Customer service: Nathan gave me the TH discount, and he noticed the WT in my sig and included some extra thicker corks for the bell. He included a bonus mute; probably a factory second. It's black, without a cup, and sounds pretty much exactly like the blue mute with the cup removed. Which means I would have no need to screw the cup on or off during a gig or rehearsal, I'd have a blue S-mute cup mute, a black S-mute straight mute, and my old favorite harmon and blue sink plunger from Ace Hardware. I can't say whether there will be an opportunity for me to use these mutes in the orchestra. Unless it's 2nd trumpet muted solo, my mute is probably chosen by the principal. But if I ever get to a blues or jazz jam again, I'll probably bring the cup mute to try out.

I have no need for yet another mute. So I bought an S-Mute and I don't regret it for a minute!
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, these reviews are really great, I appreciate you all taking a chance on my product and putting your thoughts out there. Thank you!

Quote:
This is a very innovative, clever, and effective system, and it might be useful to discuss it with a patent attorney.

Thank you for this. I certainly think so! The removable cork idea is patent-pending, meaning I have secured a provisional patent on it. I am currently working with a patent attorney.

Quote:
I suspect that it would suffer from wear-and-tear if the cup were removed and detatched frequently, so I would probably keep a cup-mute and a straight-mute-without-cup version rather then putting wear on the screw threads.

The threads should be fairly robust. PET is a slipperyish plastic so there should not be too much friction wear, not to the point of failure at least in theory. The flexible version is even more robust still, owing to its pliable nature. Where the threads are vulnerable, (like any other threaded surface that is exposed like these are) is to impact damage. You will want to avoid dropping the threaded straight mute onto a hard surface. I have a thread protector design that I will implement at some point if interest in the mute continues to grow. This would screw onto the end of the mute and would be made of the same material as the flexible cup, effectively creating a bumper on the end of the straight mute.

All that aside...if any of you experience a total failure of the mute that is not from negligence (crushing it in a gig bag, dropping it off the stage, etc) I will replace it at my discretion. Just reach out to me here or through the website.
Department of Music (Trumpet)
California State University, Fresno
JeffSharp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna try the S-Mute!
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red mutes are available! These actually look really cool. Pink in the works next.

https://s-mute.com/products/s-mute-in-other-colors

ALSO: The 10% discount is still active, just reply to this thread and PM me to get the code.
Number 6

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

S-Mute will be attending the ITG conference in San Antonio May 31-June 4! I will be there with a ton of my mutes for you to try out. I will also be doing a reduced pricing pre-sale on a select quantity of my mutes, which will be active now through May 31. If you take advantage of this special pricing you MUST pick up your mute in person in San Antonio during the conference. I look forward to seeing many of you there!

S-Mute ITG Pre-Sale: https://s-mute.com/collections/itg-2022-pre-sale
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutes in Pink, Red, and Blue are now available!

I also have oversize corks available for Wild Thing trumpets and cornets, or any other trumpet with a really wide bell flare.

https://s-mute.com/products/size-2-5-and-3-corks-for-larger-bell-flares
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello friends!

I hope to see many of you at ITG in a few weeks! I'll have a bunch of my mutes to sell and also some new products I've developed, some of which have no analog in the trumpet world. I am very excited to show those off to you! In the meantime I am still running a promotion exclusive to TH members, simply reply to this post with "I'm going to try the S-Mute!" and ill PM a discount code to you.

The membership here is top-notch!

https://s-mute.com/collections/frontpage
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck at the ITG. As my review above shows, I love mine (magnetic, flexible). It's the only mute I needed at the last big band concert.

I also used the piccolo trumpet mute for warmup at Easter and it had a more pleasant sound than my existing metal one.
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt! Its great to hear the mute is working as intended, as a versatile all-in-one type setup.

Riojazz wrote:
Good luck at the ITG. As my review above shows, I love mine (magnetic, flexible). It's the only mute I needed at the last big band concert.

I also used the piccolo trumpet mute for warmup at Easter and it had a more pleasant sound than my existing metal one.

Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really excited to share this with you all. It is an attachment that turns your S-Mute with removable corks into a practice mute! I recently received my provisional patent on it so I can now go public with it. More info is in the video below:

Link

https://s-mute.com/products/new-s-mute-practice-mute-attachment
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all! ITG 2022 was a huge success! Lots of interest in my mutes, and in particular the magnetic "Multifunction Mute" and practice mute attachment. Tons of fun meeting so many great players and talking about my designs. Can't wait for next year!

https://s-mute.com/blogs/news/s-mute-a-huge-success-at-itg-2022-in-san-antonio
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am blowing out the remainder of my stock of this early version of the Multifunction Mute. These are threaded and rigid plastic only but the price is right, use discount code V1MFMTH. Thought some of you would be interested.

https://s-mute.com/products/multifunction-mute-version-i
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Great mute! Reply with quote

Unsolicited feedback here. I took advantage of the recent promo Nathan offered and got the multifunction mute for $40 shipped. I am really impressed with the interchangeable cork design, but the bottom line is that this is an OUTSTANDING cup mute! For his list price, it’s a fantastic deal, and on sale, it’s a steal!

It has replaced my 1940s Chicago-era Humes & Berg cup mute AND my (heavy) Ullven chrome plated copper cup in my everyday carry bag. Understand I have 150+ mutes, and I’m an inveterate mute geek. The 3D printed removable cup makes this a really sturdy, lightweight, great sounding mute. I’ll keep the Chicago and Ullven in my quiver, but the S-Mute is an outstanding every day cup mute. I’m impressed…and now I have to shell out for the rest of your fleet 🤣🤣
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Great mute! Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
Unsolicited feedback here. I took advantage of the recent promo Nathan offered and got the multifunction mute for $40 shipped. I am really impressed with the interchangeable cork design, but the bottom line is that this is an OUTSTANDING cup mute! For his list price, it’s a fantastic deal, and on sale, it’s a steal!

It has replaced my 1940s Chicago-era Humes & Berg cup mute AND my (heavy) Ullven chrome plated copper cup in my everyday carry bag. Understand I have 150+ mutes, and I’m an inveterate mute geek. The 3D printed removable cup makes this a really sturdy, lightweight, great sounding mute. I’ll keep the Chicago and Ullven in my quiver, but the S-Mute is an outstanding every day cup mute. I’m impressed…and now I have to shell out for the rest of your fleet 🤣🤣

Thanks so much for your kind words and great to hear it will get daily use!
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th of July Sale:

Red and blue mutes on sale! 15% off with 74Mute15 Promotion ends 7/8.

https://s-mute.com/discount/74Mute15?redirect=%2Fproducts%2Fs-mute-in-other-colors
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all!

I've bundled up some of my more popular items into a package deal, see below. If you were on the fence with trying these products out this is a great opportunity to test a bunch out for a great price...and hint hint one of my recent discount codes is going to remain active until Sunday 7/17.

https://sales-588.myshopify.com/admin/products/7838672453869
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just subbed in another big band and used only the magnetic S mute with the flexible cup, as my straight, cup and plunger. The rest of the trumpet players were very interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: