• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Double Case?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Best Double Case? Reply with quote

Years ago, I preordered one of the fancy looking updated Torpedo Coyote cases, but given that they don't seem likely to deliver on that order, I'm looking for a new double case.

Here's what I'm looking for:

- Bike-friendly, so strong, light, and with backpack straps
- Two trumpets, ideally able to fit a rotary

Anyone have suggestions? I'm initially drawn to the idea of a carbon fibre case, but there isn't a lot of choice for those.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my Gard double. Backpack straps, slots for music, perfectly sturdy and safe, reasonably light, slots for mouthpieces. Check them out at austincustombrass

I don't know one way or the other about the rotary, but I'd guess it would.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for that. I'll take a look at them. Anyone with rotary specific input?
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My undergrad program kept the studio’s Schagerl in a schagerl double case. It was a good case, had backpack straps, had a dust cover bag for the horn, but I don’t recall how protective it was…
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also really wanted a Torpedo Coyote but they have only had prototype CAD models on their website for the last couple years. I reached out to them and I got a bunch of background on what's going on there. But in the end, they said they were hoping to ship out the new Coyote doubles sometime in June. Not sure if they can deliver on that and how backordered they are, but it might be worth reaching out if you put down money for one.

Since I wasn't able to go with one of those, I have been doing a lot of looking at other cases. Given your requirements, I think Marcus Bonna would be your best bet. They have cases with backpack straps and some that are specially designed to tote a rotary and piston in the same case.

You could also look at Wiseman which are great, but they come at a premium.
Ancientram

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Best Double Case Reply with quote

I like my Marcus Bona Double. Back pack straps, holds both my rotary Bb and C or C and D. Sturdy.

Steve
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been working perfectly for my single rotary plus all the stuff I need. Outside bag is large and will fit a lot of music: https://www.thomann.de/de/schagerl_compact_double_trumpet_case.htm will certainly fit a rotary and a piston - I checked.

If you really want to go big, use the Fusion urban triple. Has been my bag of choice for flugel/trumpet/LOADS of stuff for big band/soul band for years: https://www.fusion-bags.com/products/urban-triple-trumpet-gig-bag

Both work well on bike, in busy subways, etc.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been interested in the Protec triple with wheels for some time...

https://www.amazon.com/Protec-Triple-Trumpet-Wheels-BLT301TSX/dp/B07GZ9TXK1/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=D2BTx&pf_rd_p=bbb6bbd8-d236-47cb-b42f-734cb0cacc1f&pf_rd_r=8X81XQYXDRCHVS9ST1QW&pd_rd_r=a1c3a9f7-c0f7-4897-a2ca-7b316e7850c4&pd_rd_wg=JSEUb&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

...but the reviewers point out how poorly-built they are...ugh! Maybe one to avoid. Other than that, they look good!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I had been interested in the Protec triple with wheels for some time...

https://www.amazon.com/Protec-Triple-Trumpet-Wheels-BLT301TSX/dp/B07GZ9TXK1/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=D2BTx&pf_rd_p=bbb6bbd8-d236-47cb-b42f-734cb0cacc1f&pf_rd_r=8X81XQYXDRCHVS9ST1QW&pd_rd_r=a1c3a9f7-c0f7-4897-a2ca-7b316e7850c4&pd_rd_wg=JSEUb&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

...but the reviewers point out how poorly-built they are...ugh! Maybe one to avoid. Other than that, they look good!

I have the non-hardshell normal ProTec version of this case and it seems completely fine. It's held up well. Actually ALL my ProTecs have held up well, though the 20+ year old triple has a iffy and wimpy zipper (frankly, it was iffy from the start).

Now, I don't use them hard, I don't travel with them (though the aforementioned triple did go on a weeklong college tour) but for going from home to rehearsal and back - they work perfectly fine.

I'm not sure if they're ideal for the OP - they're not light for the amount of protection they have, while you can get backpack straps, I'm not sure they're the right case for those criteria.

But, for schlepping from the car to the gig and back, more than fine.

I've heard some mixed things about the hardshell ones. I'd just go with the standard.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
...for going from home to rehearsal and back - they work perfectly fine....

This is what I figured. I have a buddy who got one 3 years ago and seems to have worked well for him.
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
Cool, thanks for that. I'll take a look at them. Anyone with rotary specific input?

I ride a motorcycle fairly often to my playing work and by far the best case for me has been my Marcus Bonna double flight case. It can easily fit 2 rotaries if needed and the flight version is very flat compared to any other case so it's great when wearing it with the straps. Incidentally, about 10 years ago I had an accident that totaled my motorcycle and the horns came through with zero damage.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Protec cases. I sold mine because the backstraps were REALLY uncomfortable and I could never carry the thing any way that did not feel awkward. The case as such was fine and I liked the large outside pocket.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone! I'll look at the Bonna cases.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
@Protec cases. I sold mine because the backstraps were REALLY uncomfortable and I could never carry the thing any way that did not feel awkward. The case as such was fine and I liked the large outside pocket.

This sounds about right to me. They make a backpack strap attachment, but I was.... not sure about it. It was pretty awkward on a customer with a Protec trombone case. I think it would be better on the trumpet, but still not that great.

But, rolling with wheels on the iPac triple is just fine. I have a older double that I use a shoulder strap, just fine. The old triple has a shoulder strap and it's kind of big and bulky, but it works.

However, if I was looking for a case to use as a backpack, I would probably look elsewhere.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: