• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Short cornet without shepherd crook vs long cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eduardo90

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Short cornet without shepherd crook vs long cornet Reply with quote

Hi you all hope you are doing really good, lately i have been discovering the cornet and i think its a wonderful instrument mainly because its timbre its more versatile than the timbre of the trumpet and the flugelhorn, cornet mouthpieces range from shallow mouthpieces to flugelhorn like mouthpieces on the other hand on trumpet we have limited cup sizes and the same with flugelhorn, on this oportunity i have two questions one is about the difference between the long cornets and other type of cornet that is short but doesnt have the shepherds crook and example of that is the yamaha 231 or yamaha 2310 first gneration vs the yamaha 2310 II or 2010 III, i would like to know if there is a sound difference between the two, also i would like to know if there is something that you can do on trumpet that you cannot do on cornet, i have seen international soloist like Warren Vache and Nat Adderley and they seen to be able to do the same on the cornet than any virtuoso trumpet player, but on cornet they have a broader range of timbres.

Thanks in advance
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eduardo,

If you do a search on this site you'll see a few threads about long vs. short cornets - it's probably not the shepherd's crook (the extra bend in the bell stem that makes a cornet "short") that's the difference, but the way the leadpipe and the bell flare are constructed.

Generally speaking, short cornets have evolved in the world of British-style brass bands, and tend toward a mellower sound. Long cornets come from the American tradition, and sound more like trumpets. Of course a lot of the difference also has to do with mouthpiece choice. I can put my Bach 5c cornet mouthpiece into my Besson 723 and sound quite trumpety, or put my Curry 3BBC into my Olds Ambassador Long cornet and sound mellow.

Again, generally speaking, trumpets cut through a band better than a cornet, and it's easier to play high on them in my experience. But there's not much one can do that the other can't.

A little bit of history - it was the cornet that first had valves, and developed as a soloists instrument way before the trumpet, which was seen as a fairly limited instrument that added colour to orchestral works, played fanfares and so on. It wasn't until the 1920s that the trumpet began to be preferred as an instrument for soloists and small groups - as with many things Louis Armstrong started the trend.

Hope this helps a little.
Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: