• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cannot warm up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
towawayzone

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Cannot warm up Reply with quote

Ive had this problem for years...the first session I touch the trumpet, I am unable to play anything above the staff. I take a few hours off and come back and I'm fine...I've been avoiding this problem, but I want to fix it. How can I warm up better? Thanks...
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first session, do you use a specific 'warm-up' routine - what is it? How long do you do it?

If you use a long first session warm-up, have you tried shortening the duration and then start actual practice and playing?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
towawayzone

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually play some long tones around middle C and start articulating with scales and maybe Clarke after a few minutes. I try to jump into practicing as soon as possible.
towawayzone

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Greg Wing pdf. Ive done his other cicowicz routine but found it set me up too low, but this one looks better. Will give a shot
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need more pre-playing exercises, first: horse-flapping lips ala' Bobby Shew, beathing exercises. Then leadpipe buzzing, long tomes, Cichowicz long tomes (flow studies). Try that gently and see after a week, if it's not helping. Keep the air flowing, domot tense up.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... Is it true any time of day? If you start at 8am or 3pm you won't feel ready to play until you pick the horn up again later? I think I remember reading some people do a short warmup in the morning. You could do that. Maybe even free buzzing or ten minutes of long tones and slurs would work. I don sometimes have the experience that if I am going to an event it pays for me to warm up ten minutes at home and then I'm usually ready to go when I arrive. Other people don't really need much of a warmup at all.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towawayzone wrote:
I usually play some long tones around middle C and start articulating with scales and maybe Clarke after a few minutes. I try to jump into practicing as soon as possible.

----------------------
Try starting with the middle C for a shorter time - just enough to get your lips working enough for a decent sound and attack. Then move higher into the in-staff G - E range to get sound and attack for a bit.

There has been discussion about it being helpful to train yourself so that in-staff C (and perhaps higher) is a comfortable starting point. That avoids an initial over loosening of the lips and embouchure that might be happening by starting too low.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One trick I use whenever I feel my embouchure feels stiff is to simply play a few notes (an upwards scale at most) and then put my trumpet away for a few minutes (in the meantime I set up my stand, grab a glass of water from the kitchen, whatever). It sometimes helps to give my chops time to 'wake up',
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you been playing? What's your range when you feel everything is working?

Sounds like you need to be more tuned in to the mechanics of your playing more than it being a warmup issue - be able to go directly to where you feel good to go.

I just picked up the horn for the first time since sometime yesterday, first thing I played was from low C - G - C - G - high C.

Next low C - F - C - F - high C - F over high C. I can do this consistently when cold. I promise you I wasn't born with any special affinity for higher notes - once upon a time that would have been impossible for me to do.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never expect too much from the first 10-15 minutes of having the horn on my face. Usually just looking for an even response, fluidity of breath, and finding my sound/pitch. A few scales, not too loud, not too soft, starting in the middle register and expanding outward. But usually very brief.

Then I take a 15 minute break, grab some coffee or whatever. When I come back my chops feel more responsive, stronger, and more free.

Part of the reason some of the longer, more expansive warm up routines never really worked for me is because my chops started shutting down after 10 minutes of constant playing to start the day. I have found that short rest period integral to my practice & performing routine.

johnlakejazz.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towawayzone wrote:

I may be in the minority but I hate starting with long tones. I always start with Stamp intervals going down chromatically to bring things together and loosen up the vibrating surfaces, followed by Stamp scales ascending to about the top of my range to start firming things up. Then a few lip slur-type exercises to connect the dots.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
towawayzone

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken your suggestions in to account and have had immediate success. So, thanks! Specifically what has helped is the Greg Wing Warm up (only doing the high ones) and making sure I do some breathing exercise before I play. I also have been thinking about a more focused airstream, and that's helped quite a bit, too.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gonya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this problem often. It may be because I am still an inexperienced player, but it sometimes takes a while before I am at my full ability. This may just be an anatomy thing. Some guys seem to need to warm up at all, while others need a lot. My warm up mostly consists of slow lip flexibilities just to get my response going. After warming up, I have recently started to play up to a high F quickly just to see if I can, and after some time of doing that, I no longer need to warm up that much to play a high F. I’d say that if your routine is to never play out of the staff right after you warmup, then your body may have become used to that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: