• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

UMI Benge?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyhorns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, a friend just loaned me his UMI Benge MLP-2. It’s in like new condition and I’m shocked at how well is plays. That said, it’s not a MLP according to my calipers. It could make a fine horn for live rock/pop situations for most players. He offered me a great price, but I’m happy with my arsenal right now. ( But yes… I’m tempted. Lol. )
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: UMI-Benge Reply with quote

I bought a Benge 5x new in early 1974 and played it over 26 years I guess. I thought compared to everything else I tried that it was a rocket ship, a vehicle for interplanetary and time travel. Just that good, and versatile. I hade the opportunity to one of the later serial number horns around 36000 and it didn't have the guts. Fit and finish wasn't there either. Folks, try on your own, that is simply MHO. I am sure if you try a few of them you may find one with supernatural properties.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for clarity, when discussing UMI Benges we are looking at two or three different trumpets styles.

1. Trumpets that look just like "real" Benges with different combinations of bell markings, serial number types , and valve cluster markings - Benge style valve casings, top, bottom cap, and fingerbutton threads with Benge size spring barrels and stem threading.

2. Trumpets based on the King valve casing (larger loop 1st valve slide) but with Benge sized pistons - King style top valve caps (but interchangeable with Benge), Benge spring barrels and Benge threaded top buttons. King threaded and sized bottom valve caps. (By the way - good King valves are in no way inferior to Benge - just not Benge.)

The second classification includes two different types of trumpets - those that attempt to be similar to Benges and the 90B and 90C trumpets that are designed to compete directly with Bachs and just happen to share some Benge style braces.

The designs seem to be good, but trumpets in this period seem subject to a lot of assembly problems. For one thing, you really have to measure the mouthpiece gap.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Just for clarity, when discussing UMI Benges we are looking at two or three different trumpets styles.

1. Trumpets that look just like "real" Benges with different combinations of bell markings, serial number types , and valve cluster markings - Benge style valve casings, top, bottom cap, and fingerbutton threads with Benge size spring barrels and stem threading.

2. Trumpets based on the King valve casing (larger loop 1st valve slide) but with Benge sized pistons - King style top valve caps (but interchangeable with Benge), Benge spring barrels and Benge threaded top buttons. King threaded and sized bottom valve caps. (By the way - good King valves are in no way inferior to Benge - just not Benge.)

The second classification includes two different types of trumpets - those that attempt to be similar to Benges and the 90B and 90C trumpets that are designed to compete directly with Bachs and just happen to share some Benge style braces.

The designs seem to be good, but trumpets in this period seem subject to a lot of assembly problems. For one thing, you really have to measure the mouthpiece gap.

This is really helpful! Very concise and specific.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: UMI Benge Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I have a UMI Benge 3 flugelhorn in mint condition. The bell says Resno-Tempered Bell 3 Custom Built By E-Benge USA. It looks just like a Benge; Benge valve casings, top and bottom valve caps, finger buttons, valve slides. It even sounds like a real Benge 3 Flugelhorn. I got it at a local instrument exchange outlet by swapping a student King trumpet and a nice Besson 10-10 Trombone that I found in a local Goodwill. The King and the Besson Bone were both in excellent condition, but I think I got the better deal. UMI horns can be hit or miss. Mostly misses. From what I heard. The ones that were build with leftover Benge parts could be keepers. You would have to play it yourself to see.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: