• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ever designed & built a "soundproof booth"?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince Synchronicity

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Ever designed & built a "soundproof booth"? Reply with quote

Ah, the days of high school or college. They had practice rooms, where a player could let loose with playing, perhaps even for hours, and not have a neighbor call the police.

Adulthood so often features a residence with shared walls - apartments, townhouses, condominiums. Even standalone houses may not give total privacy to a player in the throes of practice and development.

Those who design and construct buildings do implement some sound reduction in walls, ceilings, and flooring, but nobody designs a building to completely squelch the sound of a trumpet (by default). (Do they?)

Has anybody designed and built a soundproof booth at home, for practice or recording? I've been doing research for months, and have drawn up some basic plans for such a sound booth. Even if I were to build my own design with high-end materials, my cost would be about one third (or less) of what retailers charge for such a booth. I may be able to begin construction within 3 weeks.

Does anybody have experience with designing a soundproof booth? These are some retail samples of what I have been studying (but I plan to build my own).

https://www.acousticbooth-studiobox.com/premium-isolation-booth.html
https://www.poppin.com/collections/

My own idea for a 6.5-foot by 6.5-foot cube is likely to entail these features:
• 4 walls that are identical (except one wall panel will have a door)
• At least 4 layers of sound absorption in each wall
• A ceiling panel that also has multiple layers
• A foundation pad with some sound reduction

I'm still working out some details, but it's been a research project for months. I'm getting very, very weary of having to use a practice mute, even in a closet with 4 sound-absorption blankets hung in front of the sliding door.
• Bach Bb Cornet (181ML Strad)
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you own a house - go for it though it might make more sense to spend the big bucks for a tornado shelter. Double duty and would add to the value of your house. In a condo, you will want to check your HOA rules. Generally what you do inside your condo is your business, but check.

If you rent you may want to check this out with your landlord first. Also - unless you can be assured you will live there forever, consider how you would take down your practice booth and get it through doorways -down stairs etc. Perhaps a series of take down modules.

Any chance you could just rent some practice room time at a local music store or college?
Vince Synchronicity

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Andy. Your thoughts and suggestions are very (very) insightful. The idea of renting a practice room from a nearby location (school, music studio, etc.) is very practical in a number of ways.

I'm in a condominium, but have lived in apartments (too many to list). The downstairs of this abode (my long-term residence) has a ceiling 9 feet high. The design on which I am working would be comprised of 6 panels that are quickly disassembled, and could be carried through a doorway. In theory, the design would fit in a bedroom also... There are multiple motivations in my current aspirations, to include bass guitar, a robust amplifier, pedalboard for effects, drum machine, then also the brass practice, with a desire for recording. These additional factors, beyond my needs as a comeback cornet player, are just as much a consideration... Thanks for your thoughts.
DrewB

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Ever built/designed a soundproof booth Reply with quote

In a past life, I sold and designed home theaters for a company that I owned. After 30+ years of doing this, I will tell you what I learned.
The basics are that you build the walls using 2x6 material. Cover the outside with Sheetrock. Make the walls not parallel, as standing waves are very hard to defeat. If you can pitch the ceiling that also helps.
Back to the walls…half fill the walls, not vertically, but thickness, and secure the rock wool with insulation wires. Then, use horizontal channels on the exposed studs. Attach the Sheetrock with screws to the channels, through acoustic dampening material. The thicker the Sheetrock the better. I used 3/4” rock. Use a solid oak exterior door with seals. Now, you have a very reflective box, but with the heaviest carpet you can afford, the only frequency that will escape is very loud bass.
But, you won’t be able to stand playing in it until you treat the inside. There are many companies that sell acoustic dampening materials, from foam to compressed insulation. The more you do, the deader it will be. It ain’t cheap,
but this is how it’s done, Good luck
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered ventilation?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Vince Synchronicity

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what fantastic inputs and considerations. Just to acknowledge the latest inputs:
• For materials and shape (cited by Drew B), that is such great input. Here is one article that cites or reflects some of the materials you have cited, with additional commentary: https://bettersoundproofing.com/drywall-osb-plywood-mdf-for-soundproofing/
• For ventilation (cited by Matt), yes, that has been as much a part of my pondering as procuring the materials and designing the shape and construction. An inline duct fan, with related fittings (filtration, sound absorption, and vents for intake and exhaust) is one option. Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074XBXFPD/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5&psc=1. Another option would be a "kit" made specifically for soundbooths. https://www.vocalbooth.com/hepa-filtration-kit

Thanks (all) for engaging with me on this. I did a lot of study before this thread, and have tried to pass on a few notes in response to the cumulative counsel. Still in design phase.
DrewB

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Have you ever built a soundproof room Reply with quote

Yes, I forgot about ventilation.
We ran both the feeds and the exhausts through special dampening vents, which were lined with insulation and made several 90 degree bends. As I recall, each dampening unit cost about $350 and came pre-assembled
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a soundproof booth, but I have modified a practice room to (greatly) reduce sound. A lot of the trumpet’s sound travels by air, so sealing any gaps (like window vents, door gaps, etc.) will make a big difference. Likewise, if there are still gaps, adding insulation to the walls won’t do much.

Also, mind the flammability of the materials you use: some of the cheaper insulation materials aren’t flame-retardant.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: