• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My Pride & Joy - King Liberty 3B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vocabellman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: My Pride & Joy - King Liberty 3B Reply with quote

Some say they don't exist. Some say there were only 5 made in a 1 month period and production stopped. Some say they've never seen one so here you go:
My Gold Lacquered King Liberty 3B with views showing a Liberty 2B beside and others showing digital calipers proving .458 of the 2B and .468 of 3B plus a .468 Vermont Gauge Pin inside the second valve slide of the 3B. It's the real thing.
http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/ae57/vocabellman/King%20Liberty%203B%20in%20Gold%20Lacquer/?albumview=slideshow
I really like to know who has the King records for the time period it was made. I own a second and there is an almost 8,000 digit difference between the serial numbers and I'm wondering if this isn't the first made.
Stomvi Mambo Titanium
Olds Recording (x2)
Schilke S32
Selmer 24B

Last edited by Vocabellman on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely got my attention. SWEET!
davewithabuescher
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice horns and nice pix
thanks
1947 Blessing Super Artist
1959 Mt Vernon Bach Stradivarious
1961 Buescher Aristoproject
1979 LA Benge 5x
???? Holton T102S
2009 Del Quadro Custom
Indian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful horn, THANKS MUCH for posting the pics. I've heard about the larger bore Liberty 2B (3B) but have never seen one and I am a Liberty fan (check my signature). I have a large bore Liberty SilverTone Atist Bore and it is my favorite horn both in styling and playability. It would be fun to tesy play your 3B side by side with the Artist Bore Liberty. I'm not sure I could stand the heat but I would like to try ...
Conn Vocabell 40A - 40B - 80A - 81A - 38A -Victor - 22B - 12B Coprion bell - 16B,
Getzen Tone Balanced Super Deluxe
Holton French LeBlanc - Al Hirt 550
Olds Studio - Special
Besson 10-10
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the first 3B I've ever seen and you have the third 2B I've ever seen (one of them being mine). You've got some beautiful horns. I've often wondered about getting some work done to my 2B. It plays, but it's in need of some new tuning slide tubing (the current tubes are chipping on the ends) and the valves are pretty leaky. How would you rate your 2B and 3B compared to other horns of that vintage, say Olds, Holton, or Buescher?
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Vocabellman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler Bb - The 2B's were produced from 1937-1965 and are fairly easy to find. Chris Dankler may have parts for yours (seedank@comcast.net). The valves can be repaired/re-plated by Anderson Silver Plating ( http://www.andersonsilverplating.com/valve_work.html ). Dankler's a great guy and can often find parts you wouldn't expect anyone to be able find. Anderson Silver Plating re-plated the valves on two of my Vocabell's and their work was excellent.
The 2B and 3B are similar in sound quality/playability but the 3B is less slotted, less barky and is warmer. The 3B also doesn't break up as you push it, just increases in dynamic. It has a great sound. A little like a Selmer 24B (not a K-Mod, a real 24B) but much more focused in terms of projection and with far greater attack. It's a lead horn for sure.
Indian - Thanks. The Liberty Artists Bore (I assume you're talking an early 2x curve brace and not a diamond brace) is more slotted. Far more slotted than the 3B. A bit of a surprise considering they are the same bore size. The 3B is also quite a bit heavier.
MikeyMike, davewithabuescher - Thanks.
Stomvi Mambo Titanium
Olds Recording (x2)
Schilke S32
Selmer 24B
Bicestertrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: King 2B Reply with quote

Vocabellman wrote:
Lawler Bb - The 2B's were produced from 1937-1965 and are fairly easy to find. Chris Dankler may have parts for yours (seedank@comcast.net). The valves can be repaired/re-plated by Anderson Silver Plating ( http://www.andersonsilverplating.com/valve_work.html ). Dankler's a great guy and can often find parts you wouldn't expect anyone to be able find. Anderson Silver Plating re-plated the valves on two of my Vocabell's and their work was excellent.
The 2B and 3B are similar in sound quality/playability but the 3B is less slotted, less barky and is warmer. The 3B also doesn't break up as you push it, just increases in dynamic. It has a great sound. A little like a Selmer 24B (not a K-Mod, a real 24B) but much more focused in terms of projection and with far greater attack. It's a lead horn for sure.
Indian - Thanks. The Liberty Artists Bore (I assume you're talking an early 2x curve brace and not a diamond brace) is more slotted. Far more slotted than the 3B. A bit of a surprise considering they are the same bore size. The 3B is also quite a bit heavier.
MikeyMike, davewithabuescher - Thanks.

I know this is an ancient thread but I just thought I'd say that the 2B lasted a bit beyond 1965 under the (post HN White)King Musical Instruments banner. I have one dated from 1969 that is in all respects identical to the H N White models as far as I can tell from pictures. It has nickel silver valves and compression etc is very good. It says King instead of H N White, but the case still says both, so I'm presuming they were still using up their stock of cases 4 years after the sale.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: King 2B Reply with quote

Bicestertrumpeter wrote:
I know this is an ancient thread but I just thought I'd say that the 2B lasted a bit beyond 1965 under the (post HN White)King Musical Instruments banner. I have one dated from 1969 that is in all respects identical to the H N White models as far as I can tell from pictures. It has nickel silver valves and compression etc is very good. It says King instead of H N White, but the case still says both, so I'm presuming they were still using up their stock of cases 4 years after the sale.

And stock everything else. I agree. My mid-70's Super 20 has mixed features, including the Super 20 main tuning slide, but the Silver Flair pinky ring, and God-knows-what upper valve caps!
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Liberty 2B, and it was a fine horn, never played something quite like it, it had a rounder tuning slide and a large open bell flare. Played open and more warmer than the other King Liberties.

The 3B should have an even larger bell taper and .468 bore too. Very nice!
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to revive an old thread...

Since I can call one of these Liberty 3B trumpets my own I'd like to know more about them.

Rumours say it was only produced for a few months, half a year at maximum.
Does anybody know why they were only produced for such a short time in 1937?

Are there any records that any notable trumpeters played on a King Liberty 3B?

I'd also love to hear what other owners of a Liberty 3B think about this trumpet.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the page on which the White family mentions this rare bird:

http://www.hnwhite.com/Trumpet%20Page.htm#Liberty
https://yourbrass.com/
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Here's the page on which the White family mentions this rare bird:

http://www.hnwhite.com/Trumpet%20Page.htm#Liberty

Many thanks!!!
Of course I know the website but unfortunately it doesn't give any further insights on the history of the Liberty 3B model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: