• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Home recording set-up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theshinytrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Home recording set-up Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

So, I finally did it. I started up a home teaching and recording studio. I invested a large sum of money into the following equipment.

MacBook Pro
UAD Apollo Duo
Barkley Infiniti
Schure SM7B
Sony A7IV
Cables, stands, lights, etc.
Logic, Final cut

I'm figuring out that the tracks don't magically appear on your computer when you plug everything in, even with this excellent equipment. For those of you that have home set-ups, what resources did you use to find YOUR sound? What are some of your favorite plug-ins? Did you find someone on youtube that spoke your language?
Soulo Mutes
www.rockfordtrumpetstudio.com
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Nice setup. I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures with it and hearing some recordings.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what I've done recording trumpet has been trial and error, and Google-fu. There's nothing off the top of my head that I can think of that I've used consistently from project to project.

The Shure SM7B was a solid investment though. I was lucky enough to get my from a Shure rep, so I paid 50% plus shipping, which I thought was a heck of a deal at the time.

My very first projects were done with the USB mic from my kids' "Guitar Hero: World Tour" setup and GarageBand. From there I graduated to an SM57 with a Blue Icicle XLR/USB converter. Eventually I got a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and the SM7B.

The Apollo stuff is really solid though - they've really undercut the expensive studio because with the Apollo can model and recreate the very expensive preamps like Neve, Rooster, Avalon, etc. The technology these days is unreal - it allows people to put together really great sounding home studios on a shoestring budget.

I had Logic for a bit and used that on a couple of projects, but I'm back to Garage Band because my version of Logic is so old it's no longer compatible with my Mac OS and simply won't work, which is unfortunate.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By resources, if you are referring to instruction, or technical advice, I took online instruction through “Udemy”, periodically consulted YouTube, and lots of trial and error. I am purely an amateur at best, now early in my sixth year of comeback. During the pandemic I needed incentive to continue to practice and play. This was it. I learned to use GarageBand and iMovie through Udemy courses. The following is my latest production using these programs and recording through a Zoom Hn4 pro via usb (brass parts) and iPhone microphone for woodwind and piano.

https://youtu.be/ebqdOuWxEO8
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help, but it’s how I got up and running on the cheap side.

What i did to simplify:

MacBook Pro

Black hole software

Focusrite scarlet 2i2 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QR73T66?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_XP97SWWW4J67S40740XM

Logitech streamcam - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYWPM67?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_CTHNCFYRC0EJ8MVNY85Q

Cascade Vinjet ribbon mic

Audiotechnica Mx50 headphones

iMovie

—————————

My vinjet hooked up to my focusrite scarlet 2i2

The 2i2 hooks up to my MacBook Pro via usb-c

Then I open up garage band and use that to control my sounds and use their plugins. I would assume the same for your software.

I can record the video and audio via the Logitech capture software

How does it all loop together? Blackhole!

Black hole is free and allows you to pipe all audio to it and outputs everything mixed. It is great for zoom lessons! Anything in GarageBand plug-ins is heard on the other side and though your headphone instantaneously.

You should be able to play and recording over a backing track even from a web page… I plan to try that soon.

You will need the 16ch software: https://existential.audio/blackhole/?pk_campaign=github&pk_kwd=readme

Yes, you will have to provide an email to get an link to the software.

This is the tutorial I used to help me get it setup on my Mac Pro for zoom, but it’s the same idea to select the mic as the black hole setup for other software that allows you to choose a mic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlEBO_bZwQQ

iMovie can splice all the videos together.

-marc
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Home recording set-up Reply with quote

Theshinytrumpet wrote:
Hey Folks,

So, I finally did it. I started up a home teaching and recording studio. I invested a large sum of money into the following equipment.

MacBook Pro
UAD Apollo Duo
Barkley Infiniti
Schure SM7B
Sony A7IV
Cables, stands, lights, etc.
Logic, Final cut

I'm figuring out that the tracks don't magically appear on your computer when you plug everything in, even with this excellent equipment. For those of you that have home set-ups, what resources did you use to find YOUR sound? What are some of your favorite plug-ins? Did you find someone on youtube that spoke your language?

A74 seems a little bit overkill unless you have other uses for it. I presume it's for zoom or streaming or whatever? You could have very easily got by, and very well too, with a secondhand Panasonic GH5 or even a Fuji X-T2 or 3. Lenses are waaay cheaper and very high quality too. Anyway, good luck with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: