• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Keilwerth Super Delux experience?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Keilwerth Super Delux experience? Reply with quote

Anybody out in TH land have any experience with the German maker Keilwerth? There is a bit of information on the web and their saxes are quite famous (Ernie Watts-Tenor) but it appears the brass instruments have been eliminated from their lineup. I know there were many top players in Europe who favored their trumpets and I have only played on one. It certainly played well and had that "Teutonic" flair to the design, sort of art-deco. I would think a serious student or a part-time pro would find them a good addition to the line-up. From what I've read, the German made trumpets from their own factory were considered pro-level.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked about 20 years as a fee-lance woodwind musician in Germany and settled into a Keilwerth SX90R tenor sax. The sound and quality were superb, and I have no reason to think J trumpets wouldn't be of a similar quality. Yet, I never was aware of anyone who played one. For those who might want further info: https://brasspedia.com/index.php?title=Julius_Keilwerth_brass_instruments

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
gus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited the keilwerth factory in 1989.

At that time they were selling the last busca of trumpets as they were concertrating in saxes.

Mime was a monster trumpet with bauerfeind vales. Unbeatable.

The factura was in nauheim, near franklin.

They even hay a bachish Model and mine was more olds style.

Today the brand belimgs to a coro
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franklin = Frankfurt.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
gus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
franklin = Frankfurt.

Yes near Frankfurt.. spell corrector.

Mine was toneking de luxe. Similar to old kings
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Keilwerth Super Delux experience? Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Anybody out in TH land have any experience with the German maker Keilwerth? There is a bit of information on the web and their saxes are quite famous (Ernie Watts-Tenor) but it appears the brass instruments have been eliminated from their lineup. I know there were many top players in Europe who favored their trumpets and I have only played on one. It certainly played well and had that "Teutonic" flair to the design, sort of art-deco. I would think a serious student or a part-time pro would find them a good addition to the line-up. From what I've read, the German made trumpets from their own factory were considered pro-level.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Keilwerth trumpets are quite common in Germany.
It's more or less a German copy of the King Super 20 S2.
They play very much alike but the Keilwerth tends to be a littler darker and broader with less overtones and less projection.
Back in the 60s, 70s there were some professional trumpeters that played one but not many.
Nowadays they are mainly used by beginners, don't know about any professionals who use one.

The Super De Luxe model was their top model with a garland, copper and nickel trim and a first valve trigger. Gorgeous trumpet indeed!
Early models tend to be solid trumpets, just like the King Super 20, but later models are not that good and of lower quality.

If you are looking for a Keilwerth, just send me a PM.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Keilwerth Super Delux experience? Reply with quote

trumpetom2 wrote:

The Super De Luxe model was their top model with a garland, copper and nickel trim and a first valve trigger. Gorgeous trumpet indeed!
Early models tend to be solid trumpets, just like the King Super 20, but later models are not that good and of lower quality.

If you are looking for a Keilwerth, just send me a PM.

I was in the oppertunity to trie the Keilwerth Toneking Deluxe side by side to the King Super 20, both look the same, the Keilwerth is obvious a copy of the Super 20
Build quality of the Toneking Deluxe is good, nice valves but soundwise the German copy is not that good (...) as the original, a bit like the comparison between a Vincent Bach Stradivarius 37 and the B&S Challenger I, the latter is a good instrument but not as good as the original
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: