• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 14A4a Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Schilke 14A4a Question Reply with quote

No matter how many times I have gone on a mouthpiece safari I end up back with my Schilke 14A4a w/26 throat. This is my go-to for big band etc.

My 'usual' mp is a Bach 3C & the equivalents, including my favorite, a Monette B6 (the circa 2009 version).

I had an older Schilke 14A4 mp (no 'a', standard back-bore) converted to a Warburton type top and I'm wondering, if anyone knows, what is the closest back-bore with Warburton type threads to a Schilke 'a' back-bore?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Schilke 14A4a Question Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
and I'm wondering, if anyone knows, what is the closest back-bore with Warburton type threads to a Schilke 'a' back-bore?

That's easy - a Schilke "a" backbore is the answer.

Several ways to go to get there...
1) Just order one from mouthpiece express.

2) Buy a Schilke mouthpiece with the "a" backbore and send it out to have it modified, you'll pay for the modification but a cheap secondhand piece as the donor might make this a cheaper option (for example, a used piece with a badly dented rim might be worth relatively little, but if the shank is straight it'll make a fine donor to cut the cup off and thread for Warburton tops).

3) Order one from someone with a scan or measurement on file of the "a" backbore - Jim New certainly has it, I would be surprised if the likes of Matt Frost and Doug Meeuwsen don't (for example).
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a Schilke “a” backbore to harvest to use with a 14A4, be sure to get a 14A4a. I have been told by some ex Schilke folks that the 14A4a actually has an extra tight, unmarked double-a backbore. (or at least used to…)
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:
If you want a Schilke “a” backbore to harvest to use with a 14A4, be sure to get a 14A4a. I have been told by some ex Schilke folks that the 14A4a actually has an extra tight, unmarked double-a backbore. (or at least used to…)

The scans in the comparator do show the Schilke 14A4A having a tighter backbore than the Schilke 13A4A. Both have 27 throats as stock new today.

You can send a Schilke mpc back to the factory to have them open up the backbore and/or throat.
Aj

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A classic Big Band mouthpiece that just saves a ton of stamina when played right. No wonder. I would love to try one with a bigger throat as they can be a little tight above High C for me.

The Monnette BLM has definitely a more open throat and the BL is based on the 14 size rim.

BL = 14a
BLM = 14B
BLD = 14C4
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:

Correct. It was reputed to be a copy of a Purviance backbore, made originally for Forrest Buchtel Jr..
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, I do not want to duplicate the 14A4a with this top. I am on a mini-safari with similar but different bb's to see where my tone goes. My root issue is I am not sure where to begin since the numbering systems of different makers is very confusing. ie; what would be the closest Warburton bb to a Schilke 'a'? That would give me a ground zero to go from. I am not a pro nor in school anymore so my 'circle' of trumpet players is fairly small except for TH.

From there I can research where the other manufacturers sit.
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
My apologies, I do not want to duplicate the 14A4a with this top. I am on a mini-safari with similar but different bb's to see where my tone goes. My root issue is I am not sure where to begin since the numbering systems of different makers is very confusing. ie; what would be the closest Warburton bb to a Schilke 'a'?

The Warburton KT backbore is a good comparative start. There’s a backbore comparator linked in the top-left corner of that page to visualize some of the differences across common designs, since manufacturer specs sheets are sometimes not a helpful starting point.
brassmoose

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on a similar safari. James New and Pickett make backboards with Warburton threads. I have found James New’s T bb to be the tightest of all that I’ve tried and it really aids in endurance and range. It sounds bigger than you would expect from such a bb…more core but bright. If I’m not mistaken it is similar to a Marcinkiewicz E16 Candoli bb (on comparison tool) but I have not completely confirm that yet. I also really like the Pickett C4 which is almost as tight in the upper register but feels a little more open in the middle register but also has a different sound.

It really depends what sound you want & the kind of gigs you play, then finding a bb with the resistance you like with the horn you have.

Whaylt is it you like about the Schilke a? Sound? Resistance? Endurance? Etc
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chadwick, that's what I'm looking for, a starting point.

brassmoose For whatever reason, I get a very good sound/tone with the stock 14A4a and it is great for my range and endurance. I can play a 3C or my Monette B6 to the same range but only for a couple of minutes at upper range. I'm not a dbl C player, F & G (4th ledger line) on a good day are my top. The Schilke gives me the ease and endurance for 1st in big band/swing. With a 26 throat, which is not a lot, the resistance fits my capabilities.

I have a new horn, gone from a med-step bore to a what might qualify as a lg bore and just experimenting. But this is not a horn thread.
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost has the 14a4a backbore in his catalog (meaning he's duplicated it before) and can cut any type of threads you want.

http://www.frostcustombrass.net/
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
bert1962

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke 14A4a Question Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
No matter how many times I have gone on a mouthpiece safari I end up back with my Schilke 14A4a w/26 throat. This is my go-to for big band etc.

My 'usual' mp is a Bach 3C & the equivalents, including my favorite, a Monette B6 (the circa 2009 version).

I had an older Schilke 14A4 mp (no 'a', standard back-bore) converted to a Warburton type top and I'm wondering, if anyone knows, what is the closest back-bore with Warburton type threads to a Schilke 'a' back-bore?
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The backbore on the 14A4a is actually an "aa" SUPER tight-I never could make it work for long as a kid, few could w/o having some type of modification done to it, usually a rim undercut added and the backbore opened up a bit to an "a" or 'b". The original design had a flatter rim, but it's morphed into a more rounded contour over the past 52 years...a list of players that have had a modified version of it include Allen Vizzutti, Lew Soloff, Dennis Noday and Dan Oxley-some of the guys that made the stock model work-Jay Sollenberger, Willie Murillo-I'm trying to get Forrest Buchtel to find his original 1970 design for Schilke to copy-I hear the Marcinkiewicz E9 is similar (Manny Klen's old Bert Herrick design)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: