• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Please advise for a Patrick mouthpiece purchase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject: Please advise for a Patrick mouthpiece purchase Reply with quote

I'm about to buy a couple of Patrick mouthpieces from his Commercial series.
I play on the #5 rim/size and would like something with similar feel on the chops. My first obvious choice is the 5Z/5ZM with comfort rim but before i buy i would like some advise from Patrick mouthpieces users (too many "wrong" pieces in my drawer).
I've sent email from their website and pm from trumpetherald (to underdog) days ago but, so far, i've had no answers.
Please help. Thanks.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve played the 5Z, 5ZM, CR84M, CR85M, CR84F and CR84S tops with the CM-28, CM-27, and Z-27 backbores. Using the 27 backbore with the 28 throated top is Steve’s recommendation.

All of them are fine mouthpieces. If you are looking to play pops or small group jazz, the 5Z and 5ZM will work well. The 5ZM is shallower and sounds much like the 5Z, which makes your job easier.

If you are looking to play lead type stuff, my choice is the CR84S with CM-27 backbore. If you have difficulties with shallow cups, the CR84M is a bit deeper.

Hope this helps.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. I've pulled the trigger on a 5Z and 5ZM (one piece) with comfort rim. Hope they will work for me.
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 days since i've ordered (and paid) and the order is still "Awaiting Processing". Is this normal or the store is having issues?
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
jchandlerbroker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played both the 5Z and the 5ZM for several years now. As most of my playing is church playing (lead book), I stick with the 5Z almost exclusively - I can still get the warm sound I need in certain pieces, but it will also light up when I need it to, for more commercial sounding pieces. After coming from playing Bob Reeves, Stork, Jet-Tone pieces for the previous 15 years, I love the Patrick mouthpieces, and I think Steve does a terrific job of making it as easy as possible to get the sound you're looking for - I hope you love them!
Steve B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
8 days since i've ordered (and paid) and the order is still "Awaiting Processing". Is this normal or the store is having issues?

It's certainly unlike Steve to take this long to fill an order, but I think he's still a one man outfit. Perhaps you should try posting something about on his Facebook page??

https://www.facebook.com/patrickmouthpieces
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sorry to hear that you're faced with some uncertainty in the order and purchase process; this is always a bummer.
I did want to add that I've got both the Patrick 5Z and 5ZM and they are incredible pieces - I think you'll find them well worth the wait. I just pulled mine out, the rim is just a tiny bit larger than I like, but used them with a couple of horns I've had out. They produced such a fine tone, I'm going to work at either getting accustomed to the slighly larger size or have the rim removed for some slightly smaller rims I have... These two pieces are outstanding.
I didn't think anything but GR had such an easy clear projection - but these Patrick pieces are playing very similar. Easy tone production, clear and nice tone too. I'm re-impressed after playing them.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: