• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is Schilke Valve Oil Good?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Is Schilke Valve Oil Good? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I just bought a Schilke trumpet and was thinking of trying Schilke valve oil.

Have any of you tried it?

Thanks,

Ken
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Schilke put their name behind it, do you really think they would recommend an oil that would gum up their own horns?

Another answer to your question, though is that I have had good luck with Hetman's, which comes in different strengths, and B.E.R.P., which seems to last longest, that I just use them for every horn across the board vs. having a matching oil for each horn.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It's great.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Is Schilke valve oil good? Reply with quote

Hello all,
Schilke valve oil works for most of my horns. I use a different oil for the couple of horns, closer to needing a valve overhaul.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
If Schilke put their name behind it, do you really think they would recommend an oil that would gum up their own horns?

Another answer to your question, though is that I have had good luck with Hetman's, which comes in different strengths, and B.E.R.P., which seems to last longest, that I just use them for every horn across the board vs. having a matching oil for each horn.

Thanks for you sarcasm! Have you ever tried Schilke valve oil?
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

I'm not reading the reply as sarcasm but rather respect for the Schilke folks and their reputation. If it is labeled Schilke, you can rest assured they have tested it and they think it works well enough to allow their brand name to be associated with it.

Remember that valve oil is a chemical, and your breath has chemicals in it too. I am diabetic, and sometimes a change in my diabetic medication makes my valves stick and the valve oil I use to no longer work as well. I have switched valve oil three times in the last 20 years, each because of med changes.

I have had students who are more acidic (touch and breath), and they need a different valve oil than I do to get it to work.

Schilke trumpets generally have very tight fitted valves, so a lighter oil might be better. The Schilke is a lighter oil.

HTH,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned and played Schilkes and used the Schilke valve oil not only on Schilkes but other horns as well. Nevertheless, that doesn't affect the answer to my question.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

I'm not reading the reply as sarcasm but rather respect for the Schilke folks and their reputation. If it is labeled Schilke, you can rest assured they have tested it and they think it works well enough to allow their brand name to be associated with it.

Remember that valve oil is a chemical, and your breath has chemicals in it too. I am diabetic, and sometimes a change in my diabetic medication makes my valves stick and the valve oil I use to no longer work as well. I have switched valve oil three times in the last 20 years, each because of med changes.

I have had students who are more acidic (touch and breath), and they need a different valve oil than I do to get it to work.

Schilke trumpets generally have very tight fitted valves, so a lighter oil might be better. The Schilke is a lighter oil.

HTH,

AL

This.

Geez, “sarcasm”? Looks to me like the OP is looking for something to be offended by.

Brad
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler Bb wrote:
Yes. It's great.

Thanks, Eric. I just placed an order!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:
Thanks, Eric. I just placed an order!

You mean Schilke doesn't include a bottle of their valve oil when you buy one of their trumpets? It seems to me that they're large and well-established enough to do that (just like Bach, Yamaha, etc.)

Or did you buy your trumpet second-hand?

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Aaronis

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

HTH,

AL

This.

Geez, “sarcasm”? Looks to me like the OP is looking for something to be offended by.

Brad

I took it as sarcasm or a little rude. The guy just asked a simple, very valid question as there are tons of products that are made from the same manufacturer where one product is great and the other is not so much. Just because a company with a good reputation makes X extremely well, doesn't mean they are good at making Y.

A better response would be "Yes, I have tried it and it works great. I highly recommend it for your new Schilke horn." Is that so hard?

As for the OP's question, I have not tried it, but maybe I will now.
1955 Mt. Vernon Bach
1947 Olds Super
Holton Revelation Model 48
1964 Holton Galaxy Cornet
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaronis wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

HTH,

AL

This.

Brad

I took it as sarcasm or a little rude. ……

Fair enough….I didn’t. Not sure if the OP’s “Thanks for you sarcasm!”
might have been a little rude though. Or maybe not. I guess it’s all subjective.

Brad
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Aaronis wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

HTH,

AL

This.

Brad

I took it as sarcasm or a little rude. ……

Fair enough….I didn’t. Not sure if the OP’s “Thanks for you sarcasm!”
might have been a little rude though. Or maybe not. I guess it’s all subjective.

Brad

And he obviously didn't care for my reply because I got Nothin' back....
dugantrumpet

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can vouch for using Schilke oil specifically for Schilke instruments. I know I seem crazy but I swear it makes a difference..
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dugantrumpet wrote:
Yes, I can vouch for using Schilke oil specifically for Schilke instruments. I know I seem crazy but I swear it makes a difference..

Doesn’t seem crazy at all to me. As others mentioned, I doubt that Schilke would have an oil made, or at least private labeled for them, if it wasn’t good quality.

Brad
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my sources, Schilke oil used to be private-label Al Cass. The modern product — I don’t believe is (but I don’t remember who told me that.)
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Schilke oils is fine, otherwise why would they put their name on it? I've seen them "make" their slide grease, and it's nothing special. But it works fine.

Let me be contrarian: If you oil your valves after you play, you will have great valves. Pretty much `any quality oil will be fine. Where you need to be pickier is if you want to use less oil than this.

Last edited by Tom LeCompte on Thu May 26, 2022 7:45 am; edited 3 times in total
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom LeCompte wrote:
I'm sure Schilke oils is fine, otherwise why would they put their name on it? I've seen them "make" their slide grease, and it's nothing special. But it works fine.

Let me be contrarian/ If you oil your valves after you play, you will have great valves. Pretty much `any qu`ality oil will be fine. Where you need to be pickier is iff you want to use less oil than this.

This...spot on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: