• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

search for zoom teacher for son

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edham

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:34 am    Post subject: search for zoom teacher for son Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions and PMs !

love this forum.

Last edited by edham on Thu May 26, 2022 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a ton of teachers (including myself) that might be willing to work with your son via zoom, making a good choice is another issue.
It may mean working with one teacher for a bit, then getting a recommendation to the next.

What about trying to connect with someone in Hawaii? - University, or Symphony in Honolulu? Or the military bands? Each service has a band stationed there. (Some exceptional players) Plusses would be: the same time zone, local knowledge (events, teachers, etc), and there's a gook likely hood of an occassional face-to-face session, which are far better.
I know when I was in Hawaii with the USAF band I traveled from Hawaii to Maui once or twice a year.

From your description, it sounds like he's ahead of the game in many aspects... but remember high notes are not the standard by which good trumpet playing is measured.

btw - I loved being in Hawaii, I may find myself in the "Little Grass Shack" next to yours...

Shaka
Retired Air Force Bandsman
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo what zaferis says. It's really good advice.

There are two types of beginning students:
1. Students that that are self motivated and really take flight (like your son)
2. Students that really need somebody to reorient and direct the student.

The second student would do absolutely fine with zoom lessons, but the first type of student, I would really hesitate with that medium. Like zaferis says, I would try and find somebody on the islands to occasionally zoom and occasionally meet in person. The in person is so much more useful (but of course it's hard to find a great teacher no matter what the medium).

The exploration period for a motivated student is really useful. If he is progressing on his own and self-motivated, I'd wait a year or just really take your time finding a teacher. Unlike guitar, trumpet is a much more simple instrument and the hardest part is just making a good sound on the thing. If he is really taking on a big listening and reading musical diet, he will get pretty far on his own at the beginning. I will PM with some more thoughts.
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Maui Pops Orchestra.
http://mauipops.org/current-maui-pops-musicians/
The Principal Trumpet Mitchell.ota@gmail.com is offering lessons
He might be a good place to start. He’s degreed in music and Went to IU Bloomington before finishing in Honolulu. Might be the best and only local option. https://sites.google.com/view/mauitrumpet/lesson-information
Good Luck
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son really benefitted from his Zoom lessons with Sean Billings.
https://www.yamaha.com/artists/seanbillings.html
https://www.ranchocanyonmusic.com/trumpet-lessons
https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-trumpet-gurus/episode-40-hanging-with-sean-RZWAytiHPbO/

He's a Southern California guy who plays at the highest level in most genres you can name.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few thoughts:
(1) looking for online lessons isn't a bad idea and as a parent it can be a time saver, especially if your family is over-scheduled.
(2) I am currently splitting lessons with my daughter on low brass and it's a lot of fun. If you want to play more you could do something like this.
(3) I've had a mix of teachers: free lance guy with some military background, a music teacher who does jazz, and a university performance student. Those lessons were all $30-40/hour online. At this rate I was not getting orchestra first chairs, but they were all good musicians. I also paid for a more expensive embouchure session and for a starter piccolo lesson.
(4) I don't know how to find good online teachers. I kind of wish the marketplace had an area for this.

There are things about online lessons that can be annoying. Two of my teachers kept cancelling at the last minute. One had kind of iffy tech. Every teacher I've had for more than a few months has raised the rate by $5-10/hour (I understand but it's kind of annoying). Each teacher had strong areas and weak areas. I would put an ad in marketplace or somewhere else (reddit?) and tell what you can afford and what times you'd want lessons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: