• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What to do during a 1 month hiatus

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayhandri6859

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: What to do during a 1 month hiatus Reply with quote

Hello all,

I really want to keep my current chops and skills at trumpet (I'm a high schooler), but my family and I are going on a one-month vacation across the globe. I don't plan on taking my trumpet there because 1) I'm not going to get any time to play it and 2) It's too much of a hassle to carry it around since we're jumping from place to place. I really don't want to lose my chops, mainly because I want the 2 summer months after my vacation to be a time for improvement. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks
Trumpet Dynamics

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Use the break to your advantage Reply with quote

It may seem counterintuitive, but you should use this time to rest your chops and take your mind off trumpet. It will still be there when you get back, and you'll be able to get back to your current level of strength within 7-10 days.

You'll be glad you took the break, and trumpet will be much more enjoyable when you get back to it!

James Newcomb
trumpetdynamics.com[/url]
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Make time to practice.
2. Put up with the hassle.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bill said.

You can try to make the inconvenient as convenient as possible. Download some PDF method books onto an IPAD or tablet so that you don't have to lug those around. If you don't have a practice mute I would look into getting one. I am not a big fan of buzzing but as long as you don't overdo it you could do some light mouthpiece buzzing on days when you truly cant play.

A month is a long time to not play if you are serious about getting better.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on your vacation and don’t worry about it. Have a good time. Enjoy your family and the opportunity to travel.

Make sure you are practicing diligently up until the break and be sure to start again as soon as you return. (Failure to do one or both of these will lengthen your break!) Your playing will recover quickly if you are structured about practicing on the other side of the hiatus.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been playing for 5 years. Your technique will not disappear in 4 weeks.

Leave the horn at home.

1. Do some daily P.E.T.E (Warburton) exercises or at least the pencil exercises.
2. Do some mouthpiece buzzing perhaps with a Buzzard (Warburton).
Not a lot - a minute or two each , a couple of times a day just to keep some muscle memory.
3. Take some solo transcripts and access to recordings of players you admire and a PDF copy of Arbans to read through and practice fingerings.

Mainly, enjoy your vacation.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give your chops the month off but keep your brain busy by reading Alex Ross’s “The Rest is Noise” or Paul Berliner’s “”Thinking in Jazz.”

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
1. Make time to practice.
2. Put up with the hassle.

THIS SHOULD BE YOUR MANTRA!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few ideas:
(1) Get some trumpet recordings and make a goal of listening to famous players. A big part of playing is getting a sound concept. If there's a solo you like, you probably could almost memorize it.
(2) Find some brass-related destinations if you can. Where are you going?

I think doing something with a mouthpiece is probably too challenging/annoying. The idea to read some trumpet books is pretty good.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyB’s comment may seem somewhat simplistic, but is pretty much on the money. Not playing for a month won’t ruin your chops (it may even be beneficial)…but if you really feel you want to keep up your practice regardless, then find a way to be able to practice (maybe with a pocket trumpet or cheaper beater).
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a CTS from Larry Meregliano (not sure on the spelling). It will keep your chops in shape and improve them. The Compression Training System works.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minimal practice method would be to just 'form your embouchure' (no mouthpiece or lip buzzing, and no need to produce sound), and just go through the embouchure and tonguing actions that would be done while playing.

The usefulness of this is to keep the muscle and nerve actions active during the period of not playing.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally can come back from a break in a few weeks' time. It's important to ease back and not try to force things. Keep your expectations in check so you don't get hurt, making your come-back take longer.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring your trumpet, mouthpiece, and a cup mute.
Practice whenever you have an opportunity.
One week would not make a difference. Two weeks would be a stretch, but three to four weeks would put you way, way back and it could take that nearly long to get your sound, fingers, and air movement back to what it was.
Even if you can only play once or twice a week, it it better than any "exercise"
or mouth maneuvering will be.
BillyB said it right.
R. Tomasek
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I’m selling a pocket trumpet to finance a new horn for grad school. I take it on trips and use a Brass Spa practice mute. I just do some flexibilities and scale exercises when the wife takes her shower. I also have a P.E.T.E, but be cautious with that, make sure you do flexibility exercises after a rest period after using it.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the leave it at home boat. If you are a junior going into senior year and you want to be a music major, then sure, put up with it.

As someone who was fanatical about practice (4 years of undergrad missed 2 days of practice even on month long vacations) it just wasn't worth it. The number of vacations I went on where all I could think about was "where am I going to practice today" and "am i bothering anybody by practicing [so I am going to play in a way that's not even beneficial for improving]" was way too much. It's really not worth it to not be present with your family while you still have them.

I'm good at mouthpiece so I take that, but if you're not/don't do it regularly, it won't be beneficial. Don't use a PETE if you haven't been using it regularly. The best alternative is taking a mouthpiece and leadpipe (harder to find used). That'll keep the neurons firing just fine. If you take a complete rest, it'll take about 3-4 weeks to get back on track but it's fine. Good time to create new really good habits. Listening to great players is super. Do it on flights and trains.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lay down on the floor, face first. Then do pushups with your lips.

Actually, ear training and sight singing. Invaluable. Use your portable recoding/playback device, earbuds and some good software.

And BTW, don't put it all together and learn to use it at the last minute.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip isometrics would be a way to at least exercise the muscles of the embouchure and is something that can be done anytime.

I'd be concerned about the horn getting lost or stolen if you're going all over.

Something that I recommend in general is being as tuned in as possible to what's going on when you're playing - the alignment of the lips with the teeth, the horn angle, the tongue and throat, what's going on with the embouchure muscles as you play. If you have a strong awareness of that it's a lot simpler to go back to it instead of only having a vague awareness and hoping to fall back into it.

How advanced a player are you? What kind of things do you play, what kind of range do you have?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a month off and don't worry about it. You won't lose anything unless you're pushed (or push yourself) too hard, too soon when you get back.

—Denny

... who took a horn with him on a two-week canoe camping in the Everglades in 1971. I had a regular, five-hours-a-nite, six-nites-a-week gig waiting for me the day after I got back.
geraldwkoonce

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: What to do during a 1 month hiatus Reply with quote

rayhandri6859 wrote:
Hello all,

I really want to keep my current chops and skills at trumpet (I'm a high schooler), but my family and I are going on a one-month vacation across the globe. I don't plan on taking my trumpet there because 1) I'm not going to get any time to play it and 2) It's too much of a hassle to carry it around since we're jumping from place to place. I really don't want to lose my chops, mainly because I want the 2 summer months after my vacation to be a time for improvement. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

I think you can also easily take some lessons on Zoom, this was discussed recently in one of the threads on this forum. I think you can also find a tutor here as well. But again, this is all on the assumption that there is good internet where you are going.

Last edited by geraldwkoonce on Tue May 31, 2022 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: