• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is your Bai Lin Routine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gg21wvtrumpet

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: What is your Bai Lin Routine? Reply with quote

Hi all,

What is your Bai Lin routine? How do you typically spend your time in the book?

Thanks!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start with #5, and play it fairly slowly, as written. Rest between each line.

Then #9 at around the same tempo. Rest between each phrase.

Then #8, with a repeat at the end of the second measure. The first time as written, and the second time a different slur pattern. A bit faster than #9.

Then I pick one from section III, usually one in 6/8. I add a repeat before the last note. First time as written, second time with a different slur pattern. I do this at a comfortable tempo, a bit slower than the fastest I can cleanly play it. By cleanly, I mean note accuracy, even notes and smooth flow between notes.

Then I pick one from section IV, and play it as written, as fast as I can cleanly play it.

Then on to #25, 26 or 27. I play each measure 4 times (first three acting as if the half note is another eighth note): Slur all, slur first two, slur second two, and then tongued. I play it a bit slower than the fastest I can cleanly play it.

This takes a while.

If I am just adding flexibility as part of my warm up, I'll do #8 with a repeat at the end of each second measure. First time moderately, second time briskly. Then something from section III played slur two. Then something from section IV.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher only ever assigned one Bai Lin exercise every two weeks.

FWIW I find Bai Lin much better for me than Irons. I particularly like that some Bai Lin studies leap over notes in the harmonic series. Without the skips (like Irons) I have a bad habit of making a minimal effort to adjust my chops and that results in my using more pressure. Irons almost always leaves me beat up in a way that doesn't feel productive. Bin Lin leave is more likely to leave me invigorated.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: