• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eb cornet leadoipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Eb cornet leadoipe Reply with quote

I have a jp Packer eb soprano cornet.
Even when i am a resonable piccolo a d eb trumpet, i suffer to mate it play in tune. The pickett mouthpiece helped but still...

It is pitched low 440 wiht thw leadpipe all in.

I think it might improve with a New lesdpipe.
Do any of you know a leapipe for this hora.?

Thanks
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soprano cornets are notoriously difficult to get right, some major makers have released absolute dogs over the years.

Yes, that's a critical component and it *might* help to change it, but is it simply throwing good money after bad?

Those Chinese stencil sops are what they are - a possible learning instrument for relative beginners (not that beginners should be playing sop until developed on Bb, IMHO, but that's another argument for another day!), they're not a serious performance tool for advanced musicians.

If it has to be on soprano cornet, it needs to be a good one - the parts are hard enough, you don't need a handicap (not that you ever do)... It it doesn't need to be a soprano cornet, a good Eb trumpet played with taste will be more enjoyable to listener and player than a poor Eb cornet that's struggling to be played.

My 2c
(As a championship section sop player with involvement in the development process of one of the most serious sop models out there)
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such is the way with budget stencil high trumpets and cornets - like piccolo or eb soprano cornet.

JP Packer might not be Mendini or Eastrock or Jean Paul, but they're Chinese stencils at their heart, even with the store branding and possibly some level of quality control.

Maybe get in contact with Packer, see what they can do? Or maybe a local tech or trumpet tweaker (like Josh Landress) can do something.

Alas, sometimes you get what you pay for.....
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worry would be that you could easily reach the cost of the instrument itself if you paid for an in depth inspection, PVA and alternative pipe/s... And it'll still be worth "not much".

It sounds harsh, but I honestly think spending anything on it is throwing good money after bad - better to use the trumpet and save that money (a used Xeno or Courtois can sometimes be sub £1k here, I wouldn't want to be putting hundreds into something that will never get close to those)...
Or if you play in a BBB, see if they have something you can borrow (many/most will).
gus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you fine gentleman for your kind advise.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I invested in trying to upgrade an inexpensive instrument I'd at least try and get my hands on a better instrument to see if that works any better for you.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a heck of a time getting good intonation out of my Yamaha Eb cornet when I use a 'standard' cornet mouthpiece.

The mouthpiece that came with it has a shorter shank, and it works. If I use a 'modern' Bb cornet mouthpiece ('modern' is relative, as I am using vintage NY Bach cornet mouthpieces), the octaves are way off, the cornet plays flat, and everything is wrong. The Yamaha mouthpiece that came in the case doesn't exhibit these issues.

Maybe a short-shank mouthpiece may help with your Eb cornet. (Your milage may vary.)

-Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: