• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double case, short cornet + trumpet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Double case, short cornet + trumpet? Reply with quote

Used to be I used either or, but now I’m in a group that plays both brass band and brass choir music. Two cases plus mute bag plus folder is getting old. Anybody have a good solution for a combo case? Room for mutes/spider stand/ mute holder a plus but not necessary.

Horns are an Eclipse cornet (shepherds crook) and a Bach 37. Looking for a hard case, not a gig bag.
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I need to carry both trumpet and short model cornet (Yamaha Xeno) and I love my JP Pro one. I’ll post a link to it in a minute.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/prod/john-packer-jp851-pro-lightweight-double-trumpet-case

Although you can’t tell from the photos, this case is taller than a typical double trumpet case, so will fit the taller valve casing and wrap of a short model cornet. It is the supplied case with the John Packer higher model cornets, so is designed to also hold a modern short model cornet. I’ve had mine for years and love it.

The only draw back is that whilst it is deeper than my Yamaha Xeno II trumpet’s supplied case, it is narrower (they are around the same size, in that when the JP Pro case is placed down in the position that you’d put it ready to unzip the case, dimension wise, is much like the Xeno double case standing horizontally on its base with the side handle upwards), and the full size pocket on the top is too narrow to hold a sheet of A4, so useless for holding music. It is also not deep enough for mutes. It basically holds trumpet, short model cornet and loads of smaller accessories. You can clip a protec mute bag to it, but I find this cumbersome on a double case sling the size of a standard trumpet hard case with a mute compartment.

All the best

Lou

Edit:

Here is a photo of a cornet in this case

https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/prod/john-packer-jp371sw

Scroll down to the supplied with section

The bit about the pocket holding sheet music is not right, as the pocket is not as wide as A4.
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trumpet and cornet in my JP Pro Case

https://photos.google.com/search/trumpet/photo/AF1QipNZd8kn4blnUL2eTngOdNpnZNv7LvIFeNOVj85u

https://photos.google.com/search/trumpet/photo/AF1QipPXyJwEquvg1QXWTMW-4N_rrYM-lJbZxUaHcllZ
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Looks like a good solution; I was concerned about the casing height issue. A little pricey over here, but not horrible.

Your last two links didn’t work, may have been truncated. Might try copying them in as text.
Cousnon clairon Bb
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bean_counter wrote:
Thanks!

You are very welcome.

Looks like a good solution; I was concerned about the casing height issue.

That is definitely the problem when trying to carry short model cornets with their taller valve blocks. This case is plenty tall enough.

A little pricey over here, but not horrible.

Yes, it is admittedly a bit pricey here also.

Your last two links didn’t work, may have been truncated. Might try copying them in as text.

That is a shame, and is probably because they are from my photo library.
I hate trying to post photos on this forum. I can rarely get it to work. I've just remembered that I have to host them somewhere. I used to use photo bucket but that is no longer free. If you like and PM me your email address, I can email them to you.

They show how I have set up my J Pro case to carry a trumpet and cornet.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Stephen Haynes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Double Case Reply with quote

I suggest you take a look at Brass Bags. Truly a superior case, hand made by a small, independently owned company in the UK. https://www.brassbags.co.uk/

Schilke XA1 Cornet
Schilke Soprano Cornet
Schilke 1040 FL-S Flugelhorn
Schilke X4L Tuning Bell Trumpet
& a host of vintage cornets, flugelhorns and low brass

Stork Custom Vacchiano Mouthpieces
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Protec triple case works well for me. Tall enough for a short cornet, and the middle slot carries all my mutes, a trumpet stand, music glasses, valve oil, extra mouthpieces, etc.

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you take out the mutes and other assorted stuff, there's enough room for a bottle of Cutty Sark.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
And if you take out the mutes and other assorted stuff, there's enough room for a bottle of Cutty Sark.

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
A Protec triple case works well for me. Tall enough for a short cornet, and the middle slot carries all my mutes, a trumpet stand, music glasses, valve oil, extra mouthpieces, etc.

Nice case, Dale.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Hmmm... I'm told that as repiano I am responsible for drinks for the section when there's no repiano part; that might simplify logistics

Nice looking case, Dale
Cousnon clairon Bb
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Double case, short cornet + trumpet? Reply with quote

bean_counter wrote:
Used to be I used either or, but now I’m in a group that plays both brass band and brass choir music. Two cases plus mute bag plus folder is getting old. Anybody have a good solution for a combo case? Room for mutes/spider stand/ mute holder a plus but not necessary.

Horns are an Eclipse cornet (shepherds crook) and a Bach 37. Looking for a hard case, not a gig bag.

If you can find a good used Torpedo 2.5 that would work, but mute space is at a minimum. A Marcus Bonna double could carry the horns, but not the mutes.

My suggestion is a larger Marcus Bonna triple. I fit two full-sized horns, mutes, mouthpieces, etc. with no issue. They aren't cheap, but quality rarely is...the leather is heavier, but looks sharp. The cordura is lighter, but wear can be an issue, especially on the corners (after a few years).

HTH!

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't discount a bag without considering the Glenn Cronkhite Triple and Super Triple. Depth is never a problem with these bags, as tall cornets can be, as well as tpts with extended bottom caps.

There's also a new, "new" Reunion Blues that looks good but about which I know nothing.

—Denny
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
Don't discount a bag without considering the Glenn Cronkhite Triple and Super Triple. Depth is never a problem with these bags, as tall cornets can be, as well as tpts with extended bottom caps.

—Denny

Yes, I have one of the triples (now made by the Torpedobags people) and it's a pretty nice convenience, for a variety of uses.

Most of the time, it has a Bb on one side, with a flugel in the middle, and mutes, or other gear in the third, though it has outer accessory pouches as well.

At other times, it'll have a C trumpet or picc in the other slots, and if I need mutes for the gig, I'll carry a separate mute bag for that if needed with three horns.

I have an unhealthy sized collection of cornets, in a number of different wraps, and all of them would fit, with ease, in any of the three slots. Admittedly, it's not as protective as a hard case, and I'd never check it on an airplane with horns inside, or even put it in an overhead storage area, subject to the next passenger cramming something in next to it.

Still, for daily use, being reasonably careful, I haven't even come close to denting anything inside of it in the five years or so I've been using it.

If I really want protective, I have a Coyote 2.5 hard case, but my flugles don't fit inside, as I don't have the optional 'oversized' lid for it. For orchestral/legit stuff though, it will easily take a Bb, C and picc inside, with mutes in the external pouch. Cornets could be a little more problematic in there though, especially one with a 'tall' wrap, as I have the low profile lid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: