• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette b4 S3 matching lead piece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwilliamson77

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:08 am    Post subject: Monette b4 S3 matching lead piece Reply with quote

Hi I've just arrived on this mouthpiece after time away from Monette. I used to play b4s but the b4 S3 resonance prana is just excellent. I play it in a schilke b1. I play lots of legit, jazz but also a lot of lead work. I'm considering what would be a well matched lead piece to this. I'm talking very matched rim. I play comfortably to double c on the b4 S3, but wanting lead sound and stamina . Any ideas? I currently play lead on a stork ldv6
Yamaha Bobby Shew jazz, Yamaha 14a4a gp, Yamaha 15c4
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd contact Monette and ask them. The B4S3 is an uncommon configuration in their lineup: a sharp outer and inner rim contour. If you really want a "very matched rim" for your lead piece you may need to go custom. Good luck!
jazztrum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing on some form of a Monette B4 for close to 25 years now. I also could never find a lead piece that went well with the B4. Finally about 15 years ago I broke down and called Monette. By some miracle Dave answered the phone. We chatted for quite a while. He ended up making a lead piece based on the B4LS S1 but with the B4 rim profile. The actual marking are B4 4LSS1 with the 84 backbore. I've had them make a coupe of these other the years. It may take some digging but I'm sure if you reach out to BJ at the shop they could make one for you as well.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the very same quandary a few years ago. One might think the B4LD would have the same rim (like the 6 series do) but no.

In my case, I was playing the Kanstul versions of that B4 at the time, and I had Jim New make me a B4LD with a B4 rim. Worked like a charm.

Jim is making his own mouthpieces now. I believe he still has the specs on the old Kanstul versions of the Monettes, though he might have to create the Resonance blanks.

He’s great to work with. Give him a call.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in love with the Unity B4L. It pairs very nicely with B4S as my non-lead piece. It’s not very shallow or drastically different tonally, but provides enough zip and brightness to get the job done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: