• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 14b4, Bobby Jazz, Bach 3C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mauri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 14b4, Bobby Jazz, Bach 3C Reply with quote

I read a lot about these mouthpieces, I also looked at the comparator, but I don't agree on the backbore. My 14b4 has a back bore similar to 3C in the beginning, but then it widens towards the bottom. Same thing for BS Jazz. BS Jazz has a slightly smaller backbore than 14b4 and 3C. The holes of all three are exactly the same, but the 14b4 is slightly more flared in the beginning.
Maybe it depends on the consistency (or inconsistency) of the 3 mouthpieces.

Consider that I have 3 14b4, 3 BS Jazz and 4 3C and they all seem to have the above characteristics.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by delano on Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Mauri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing, just the comparator shows backbore different from the ones I have.
https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that any mouthpiece comparator is going to tell you how the mouthpieces will compare when you, as an individual, play them. You need to have them in your hand, and play them. Then you can compare them. Otherwise, you can't. The comparator won't tell you how the mouthpiece feels, sounds, or plays. You might as well look at the manufacturer's specs, and get an idea of the width and depth of the mouthpiece. That is a good starting point. Then you need to play them to see if you like them.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mauri wrote:
Nothing, just the comparator shows backbore different from the ones I have.

Your comment has piqued my curiosity -- unless you cut your mouthpieces in half (lengthwise) or made a wax casting of their backbores, how could you possibly know this? Or are you just saying that your mouthpieces play differently than what you would expect from the backbore diagrams in the comparator (as Irving is perhaps surmising)?

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by delano on Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Mauri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an engineer and I work in a large industry with high-tech machinery. But this is not the point. The backbore of the BS Jazz is absolutely no smaller than the modern Bach 3C. Everything here, it means nothing, they must be tried. It was just a specification
Aj

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are comparing these mouthpieces then I would certainly try the Schilke 14B as it has a #26 throat which is larger than the #27 on the Bach and the rim feels more forgiving for me. I spent considerable time on the BS Jazz and have also tried Yammy's 14B4 but but keep returning to the 14B Schilke. It's a much better mouthpiece for me. Yammy's do feel slightly smaller on the lips than the Schilke 14 size.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mauri wrote:
I am an engineer and I work in a large industry with high-tech machinery. But this is not the point. The backbore of the BS Jazz is absolutely no smaller than the modern Bach 3C. Everything here, it means nothing, they must be tried. It was just a specification

Sorry - are you saying that you measured the backbores using the same technique Vennture uses and you get different measurements? Or are you saying that the Shew does not play like it has a smaller backbore than the Bach?
Mauri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is not clear? I measured the blackbores using high precision machinery. I don't know Vennture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: