• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How I got here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanuckBrassist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: How I got here! Reply with quote

Hi, and thanks for the join approval!

I recently acquired a couple of horns after several decades of being idle. One in 2020, as a way to stave off boredom and stress during the pandemic, and then one this week from an estate sale.

I started playing in the 80s, in high school by joining a drum&bugle corps, where I played baritone. In school, I joined band and started playing trumpet. Following high school, I played here and there with various projects and pick-up groups, until I landed a gig w Mirvish group and played in several stage show orchestras. Then, I realized I'd really like to pay my rent AND eat regularly, so I took a straight job in IT. Fast forward almost 30 years, and apart from one 2 night stand while working on a cruise ship where the trumpet player in the ship orchestra got Montezuma's Revenge, I didn't touch a horn for over 2 decades.

The horn I picked up in 2020 is a Bach TR300 with a Bach 7C mouthpiece. Decent low-end trumpet, nice sound. 6xxxxx serial number which dates it well after 1994, maybe mid-2000s?

The trumpet I bought on Monday is a Conn, with an N serial number that dates it to 1970. Beautiful warm tone, very responsive. The lady whose estate it came from was a music teach er for almost 60 years, and all the instruments her son (also a trumpet player) were vintage but in immaculate condition - some looked to have never even been played. The Conn came with 3 mouthpieces. A Bach 5C, a Connstellation 5C-W and a Conn 4. Hoping to get some info on the two Conn MPs in the Mouthpiece forum. Interestingly, the gentleman I purchased the Conn from mentioned that he plays in a Canadian Legion band, and they are in dire need of another trumpet...so I told him I'd get my embouchure back in shape, retrain my fingers to the valves, and maybe try out in a month or two. So we'll see how that goes!

In other instrumentation, I taught myself ukulele (using the digital Populele guitar), and ocarina. I also have a decent flute and a vintage clarinet, but need to get them serviced before I get into learning those. I also drum for my sanity, either on my djembe or Schlagwerk Cajon box drum.

Well, that's a long enough essay for my first post.

Thanks again for letting me join up, and looking forward to reading lots of posts!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing! Have fun.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

Loved the story about your Conn. The deeper I get into my comeback (15 years now) the more I enjoy the relational nature of this hobby... just as you did, making connections across generations, appreciating those who dedicated their lives to music education, etc.

I also have a friend and former colleague who was in leadership with a drum and bugle corps in Kitchener. Long before your time as by the 80s he had moved into his airline career, where we met.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will forego the normal initiation hazing - sending you for board stretchers, left handed monkey wrenches, snipe hunting and acquisition of the perfect trumpet mouthpiece.

Here is the link to the Conn Loyalist with trumpet and Conn mouthpiece information.

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/

What model of Conn trumpet do you have?

One suggestion - your technique will return before your strength for the high register. Resist pressure to play 1st music - try to stay on 3rd trumpet parts for a while.

Welcome
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. Sounds like you are already enjoying yourself and have a nice goal to work toward.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
CanuckBrassist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
We will forego the normal initiation hazing - sending you for board stretchers, left handed monkey wrenches, snipe hunting and acquisition of the perfect trumpet mouthpiece.

Here is the link to the Conn Loyalist with trumpet and Conn mouthpiece information.

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/

What model of Conn trumpet do you have?

One suggestion - your technique will return before your strength for the high register. Resist pressure to play 1st music - try to stay on 3rd trumpet parts for a while.

Welcome

Thanks! I did look closely for a model # on her, but all i could find is a serial # N14573, which googling turned up a possible MFR year 1970.

Lets see if this link to a pic of the bell art works https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u102fsbYM3tS5eS7p0wB_LBZpLPX-cui/view?usp=sharing

And yeah, I've been doing low scales for warmups, not going over middle E until I can play for a while without my lips hurting. Slow and steady will get me where I want to go.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow and steady is definitely the best way to go. Welcome back, from an 86 year old fellow Canadian who is now in his 6th year playing again after a 50 year hiatus.

For me it's better the second time around. I started back with a local Horizons Band for seniors but wasn't challenging enough so I now play with a top notch brass and reed local band.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanuckBrassist wrote:

Thanks! I did look closely for a model # on her, but all i could find is a serial # N14573, which googling turned up a possible MFR year 1970.

Look through the pictures on the Conn Loyalist website - see the link I posted. You will probably find your trumpet there.

Don't forget - when in doubt dig out an Arban's book.
CanuckBrassist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Slow and steady is definitely the best way to go. Welcome back, from an 86 year old fellow Canadian who is now in his 6th year playing again after a 50 year hiatus.

For me it's better the second time around. I started back with a local Horizons Band for seniors but wasn't challenging enough so I now play with a top notch brass and reed local band.

George

Hi George! Glasgow, NS is actually on the short list of places my wife and I are thinking about retiring to!! It's beautiful! We visited in 2016 when I took her to NFLD to meet my island-bound family...
CanuckBrassist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
CanuckBrassist wrote:

Look through the pictures on the Conn Loyalist website - see the link I posted. You will probably find your trumpet there.

Good old Arbans!! I still have some from years ago, been trying to remember which storage bin theyre in!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanuckBrassist wrote:
Lets see if this link to a pic of the bell art works https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u102fsbYM3tS5eS7p0wB_LBZpLPX-cui/view?usp=sharing

The link appears to be private. I think you need to make it public before anyone else can see it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
CanuckBrassist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
CanuckBrassist wrote:

Looks like she's a 6B Victor with the Coprion leadpipe!
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanuckBrassist wrote:

Looks like she's a 6B Victor with the Coprion leadpipe!

That's a real catch. I have one that I'm fond of even though my Conn is pretty leaky. Some players who are coming off of a ML bore trumpet, like the Bach you have, go with a mouthpiece with a slightly larger throat when they play the .438 bore Conn trumpets. Others have no problem adapting. For now, just pick one of the mouthpieces that you have that feels comfortable and sounds good within the staff. Stick with it for a year or so.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanuckBrassist wrote:

Hi George! Glasgow, NS is actually on the short list of places my wife and I are thinking about retiring to!! It's beautiful! We visited in 2016 when I took her to NFLD to meet my island-bound family...

If you're down this way again we should get together for a coffee or something.
Pictou County is definitely a great place to live. And I was a big city boy.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Enjoy.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, glad to see you here. I also run a trumpet forum with a good bunch of guys and gals, come join us over there too! Link in my signature.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your comeback!

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: