• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 2330S III - Thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Yamaha 2330S III - Thoughts? Reply with quote

Has anyone played the Yammie 2330S III cornet?

I've been playing in a brass band recently on one of their Besson 927 but the intonation on it is something I'm finding incredibly frustrating coming from Bb and C trumpet. It swings from wildly sharp to wildly flat depending on the note. It's doing my head in.

So looking to hopefully find an affordable alternative I can use instead. Thoughts on the Yammie?

Better suggestions?

(There's virtually nothing used going where I am)
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long story short: Some years ago I bought, very cheaply, one of my brass band´s"school" horns. A virtually unused Yamaha 2330II. So my post deals with the II, not the III.
Having spent most of my brass band life on Getzen Eternas, lately a Custom (=3850) I found the Yammie a bit simpler in the tonal spectrum; once here on the TH made the analogy of playing in a little room (Yammie) versus a hall(Getzen).
However it grew on me so today I have no problems bringing it along to said band. Since then I have bought a Yamaha 6330II ( sold the 3850) which has a somewhat "bigger sound" warmer, more core, etc etc but the 2330II is a little gem. Played "cornettishly" with the right mouthpiece, a little deeper, it is a nice horn. Very much in tune, easy high register as well as low register. Of course you can make it sound terrible, as with any horn, but I find it good enough. More so if you are an experienced player. Writing that I do not imply that it is a bad horn for beginners; not at all. I tend to judge horns after their "resonance" and resistance - using a scale 1-10 (highest) I would say that the 2330II comes out as a 5 (resonance - intermediate), 5 (resistance - intermediate). But that´s me.. The 3850 judged the same way 8 and 2. I prefer 9/3. The way I see(hear) it. Carrying the analogy further. Yamaha LA 9/1; my RC 9/3.
You are the one who provides the sound - the horn is the interface between you and the audience. The more eloquent you are .....
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Yamaha 2330III Reply with quote

Hello all,
I started with an earlier generation 2330 in brass band. It was a great horn that was easy to play both in feel and intonation. After a year or so, after getting acclimated to brass band, listening to others, listening to myself and developing a commitment to the group I was ready to move on. The 2330 was an inexpensive way to get into the group. I was able and ready to step up to buy a pro horn. One that would give a little more color. I was also feeling that I was out growing the horn, as it is a student model. The 3850's weren't out yet, nor was the 6335's...the 6330's were tempting. I was looking...then an XA1 appeared on ebay for a great price. I still was not going to buy new, so it was the choice I made at the time, about 14 years ago.
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Sounds like it's worth trying out.

I also have an Alliance mouthpiece on the way just in case it does something to make the intonation more manageable on the Besson 927. I haven't got high hopes but there we are!

Wish I could find a used 6330 going for a decent price but there's a real shortage of used instruments at the moment!
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone able to compare to:

- ACB Doubler's Flugel (large bore)
- Carol 3880GSS
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bessons aren't always great.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha 2330S III - Thoughts? Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:

I've been playing in a brass band recently on one of their Besson 927 but the intonation on it is something I'm finding incredibly frustrating coming from Bb and C trumpet. It swings from wildly sharp to wildly flat depending on the note. It's doing my head in...

How about a little more information - what brand and bore size are your trumpets? What mouthpiece(s) do you use with them?

What mouthpiece are you using with your ML bore Besson cornet?
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a 2330SII for well over a decade as my primary solo and small group gigging instrument. I prefer it over at least a dozen much more expensive cornets that I’ve had over those years. I find that it generally produces ‘less’ overall sound/volume/tone compared to both trumpets and some of the ‘better’ cornet models. This ends up being perfect however. It has allowed me entry into many places where trumpet was looked down upon, and if I need it to be a lot louder, there’s always a microphone. However, I have been curious about the 2330SIII, and I’ve been using trumpet and flugel (and even euphonium occasionally) for some stuff just for variety as well.
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha 2330S III - Thoughts? Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Destructo wrote:

I've been playing in a brass band recently on one of their Besson 927 but the intonation on it is something I'm finding incredibly frustrating coming from Bb and C trumpet. It swings from wildly sharp to wildly flat depending on the note. It's doing my head in...

How about a little more information - what brand and bore size are your trumpets? What mouthpiece(s) do you use with them?

What mouthpiece are you using with your ML bore Besson cornet?

It's a Besson Sovereign 927. Not sure how much more there is to tell. Internet says it's a ML bore.
So far I've tried both the Besson 7 that came with it and a.couple of different Yamaha short shank pieces. I have an alliance 3A coming today that I'll try out with it but don't have high hopes.
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Alliance 3A is actually a significant improvement! It slots more firmly and the slots are much closer to accurate, am not having to lip notes more than a quarter tone into tune in different directions. So intonation is now managable - huzzah!

But am still considering the Yamaha / Carol / ACB. So thoughts still welcome there
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Destructo,

Yes, the 927 Sovereign has all the usual Besson quirks, but more of them than the 928.

The 2330 is a good cornet, but if your playing is more than what I'd call intermediate level, you might find its blandness irritating (but not as irritating as the intonation of the Besson! )

Which is not to downplay the 2330 - it's just a cornet that plays - I've always found it hard to put myself into the horn when I've played one.

If you want a horn that's in tune and better, you could do worse than work your way up the Yamaha tree to something with a 6 or an 8 at the beginning of the model number. Of course that's more $$

Something to consider alongside the 2330 would be a Getzen Capri. I bought one to march with, and it bowled me over. A great little horn, and cheap, and if you are in the USA, plentiful.

Cheers, and good luck!
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: