• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pitch Accuracy - Sight Reading

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcstock wrote:
I've been taking solfege lessons for about a year and half. It's been a game changer.
https://dougamostrumpet.wordpress.com/solfege-and-theory/

Best
Matt

Moveable or fixed-doh?
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
mcstock wrote:
I've been taking solfege lessons for about a year and half. It's been a game changer.

Best
Matt

Moveable or fixed-doh?

Fixed. There’s way more to it than that debate. We’ve worked on singing in all the movable clefs and done projects like learning to sing all the parts of a Bach chorale from open score or all the parts of the Mozart horn quintet.

Matt
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the note, know the pitch, know the embouchure & air -
Play the note.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
mcstock wrote:

Best
Matt

Moveable or fixed-doh?

I know lots of people have very strong opinions about this (which I always find bizarre), but I think both are good, if very slightly different. Personally, I prefer movable do, as I found the nudge it gave me to think of musical phrases as belonging to particular key areas helped me a lot in learning to transpose orchestral parts, but it has some drawbacks for music that doesn't clearly belong to a given key. Really, if you can learn to hear a note in your head that you see on the page before playing it, I think you're getting the important part both for general playing, and for sight reading especially.
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcstock wrote:
Destructo wrote:
mcstock wrote:

Best
Matt

Moveable or fixed-doh?

Fixed. There’s way more to it than that debate. We’ve worked on singing in all the movable clefs and done projects like learning to sing all the parts of a Bach chorale from open score or all the parts of the Mozart horn quintet.

Matt

Wasn't trying to start a debate, just curious what you were using. Fixed Doh was what I learned in undergrad.

There's a great youtube channel and app called "Singalong Solfege" if anyone is interested:

Fixed-Do playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r1KF1t1k6Q&list=PLhAcjU2kEulaSLahJrg77AK17WV8ZWjrT

Moveable-Do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r1KF1t1k6Q&list=PLhAcjU2kEulaUFMXb1JsCjyLYewXDAM-Z

Incidentally, for those not used to moveable Doh, you absolutely do think/hear in terms of keys and scale degrees, even though you're using fixed names for each note, it's just more... implicit? Like you know where you're singing in G major that So Ti Re is the tonic triad, Fi is the leading note etc.

I don't really think it matters that much which one uses.

It's one of those things where it is basically like learning a new instrument. It takes years of regular practise for you to really see the results of it, and potentially a lot longer depending on where you're starting from with your aural skills.
I'm okay-ish at it, but there's very much a speed limit where I lose confidence with my ability to pitch the notes accurately, and have to slow down and check I sang the right intervals. Which is to say, I really should practise more. It's just one of those many things where there's only so many hours in a day and you just never seem to get to it.

The thing that always messes me up with sight reading, both solfeging and playing, are accidentals. If there are a lot of notes with accidentals, I lose track of whether I'm looking at a natural or a sharp and have to glance back to remember if that F# I just played was in the current bar or the one before. The other thing is if there is a rhythmic groove and it changes, my brain settles into it, then when it changes, I don't realise until I've started playing it wrong that it's not the same any more. Stupid stuff like that.
One of the joys of starting music fairly late as a teen is that some of the wiring is not as well connected as it is for those who started really young. It's all a bit cobbled together. C'est la vie.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learned moveable Do from Dick Grove. Is a great deal for identifying the harmonic functions of notes and where they lie in a scake, especially as the music modulates.

OTOH, used fixed Do for atonal music.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: