• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Long Journey to Beginning to Learn TCE

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne whitmore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vega-Lux ,
I have joined with the purchase yesterday of a 1SS for my Yamaha YFH 631 Flugel Horn. It may take some time to arrive in Australia but keen to further my TCE learning. Very excited to take the free lesson with Ralph as well.
I have been spit buzzing for quite awhile and watched all of Ralph's many YouTube videos. Also the excellent work that Rich Colquhoun has made available on his websites and blog.
I guess the lesson with Ralph will identify if the spit buzzing I am doing is how it is supposed to be. I have been trying to use TCE with my 11F4 Yamaha mouth piece but don't think I have been doing as I should be.
It will be good to be able to join with your thread on my experience as it progresses.
Vega-Lux

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Welcome Wayne ! Reply with quote

Hi Wayne,

Welcome to Trumpet Herald !

The brass-playing community on this forum is such a valuable resource, and I hope you will find it as helpful as I have.

I am slowly making my way backwards through the 80 pages of topics belonging to the Jerome Callet archives. I'm still only at around page 67, and it is like stepping into a time machine going back 18 years. When I read posts of players who were trying to figure out the TCE approach back then, I can't help wondering where they are now with their music, and what their "breakthrough experiences" were for them ?

Yesterday, after clearing a foot of snow off off my driveway and walkways, I relaxed by watching the documentary film Never Too Late: The Doc Severinsen Story. It was both a nostalgic look back at his early career and the great music that his band provided on The Tonight Show. But what really knocked me out, was how good he was playing at age 92! It helps give me hope that I might have at least 3 decades still to enjoy playing brass if I can master the Master Super Chops method.
Vega-Lux

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Still Here and Patiently Proceeding Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have been meaning to write an update here for quite some time.

I signed up for regular lessons with Ralph Salamone and from February to May I was consistently practicing about 5 days per week, and seeing Ralph on Skype every 2 weeks for a 30--40-minute lesson, and a short ".2" lesson which is a 10-minute check-in about anything that I needed to work on.

In my daily practice, I often did not feel like I was making much progress, but I had to admit that each time I went online for my lesson, and Ralph would ask me to play some Clarke passages, or some scales, and each lesson, there would be some incremental progress that Ralph could point out to me

I was starting to be able to reach F's at the top of the staff more consistently, and sometimes reaching a G.

Unfortunately, in the past two months as summer activities like a tennis class, yard maintenance, and weekend trips have appeared, my trumpet practice has become much less frequent, and my progress definitely stalled.

I will be getting more focused on practice again soon however, because I have signed up to perform a duet with my wife at an August 16 event at my workplace. My wife is a professional cellist and she is going to help arrange a duet based on the Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong version of Summertime from Porgy & Bess. We'll be translating their vocals into back and forth instrumental riffs. It will be fun and challenging for sure.

Ta Ta For Now,

Marc
wayne whitmore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: New mouthpiece update. Reply with quote

After many months and three attempts to send a mouthpiece from usa to australia one finally arrived. 1st one went missing, second one I was sent a trumpet mouthpiece when I ordered a flugal horn mouthpiece. I had to pay postage cost to send it back. On the 3rd try one arrived. My original order was for a 1SS. With that one not arriving and it being the last instock along with strong recomendations a 1SB was to be sent. The one that arrived was marked just 1S, so I am not really sure what I have ended up with.
I have been using it ok still getting used to it though.
While I was looking forward to taking the included free lesson, it did not eventuate.
Just more time needed on the 1S what ever it is meant to be to.see some expected improvement.
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
Don Reinhardt taught students to slide the mouthpiece on the inner legs in order to line up the blow with the mouthpiece throat.

To be clear, this is not correct, and actually goes against the core of what Reinhardt taught. If the air “the blow”, in this case, were to go straight down the throat, you’d actually have no sound. What the pivot does is angle the airstream into the cup (bottom half of the cup for downstream players, upper half of the cup for upstream players).

Maybe not germain to TCE, but just to correct the record…
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Donovan, nice to hear from you. Don't want this to become a Reinhardt thread, but I'll add a bit more. When I studied with Don in the early and mid '80's, his description of his pivot was reasonably akin to your experience. But by the late 80's he instructed me to move to the technique you've quoted from me. Around that time, I happened upon Jerome Callet, and his approach worked hugely better for me. But happy to hear if others are pleased with Don's instruction. I got to know him well, in lessons and outside, and have nothing but nice things to say about him - always a gentleman, and always passionate about brass.
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
When I studied with Don in the early and mid '80's, his description of his pivot was reasonably akin to your experience. But by the late 80's he instructed me to move to the technique you've quoted from me.

I have to believe there was some kind of misunderstanding on your part, only because in all of the writings of DSR, including the Encylopedia of the Pivot System, it says the exact opposite. The whole foundation of the Pivot system is what I've reported (although there is much more, including different tongue types, breathing, etc).

You would not be the first person to misunderstand a teacher. I took an in person lesson with Jerry Callet, and bought all the books, but for the life of me, could still never figure out how any of his stuff worked.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
Don Reinhardt taught students to slide the mouthpiece on the inner legs in order to line up the blow with the mouthpiece throat.

-----------------------
Perhaps some additional clarification is needed -

Does the 'line up the blow with the mouthpiece throat' mean to intentionally have the feeling of 'aiming' the air stream directly at the mpc throat?

Or is it perhaps having the feeling of 'aiming' the air stream in a particular direction relative to the mpc throat (e.g. up / down / left / right, etc.).
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I mean the latter is what we actually do, but the former is what was described by tptguy...
tptguy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Reinhardt lessons, I believe Don was sincere when he said I understood and followed his instructions correctly. We certainly discussed them back and forth a lot. But back to the subject of this forum, Jerry Callet, I was looking for a new mouthpiece (of course, lol) when I happened across Jerry. His instructions were essentially opposite Don's. And as they started working for me very quickly, I moved away from the Pivot System. For me, Callet's system has been hugely more successful. But I still respect Don's tremendous efforts. 
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donovan wrote:
I took an in person lesson with Jerry Callet, and bought all the books, but for the life of me, could still never figure out how any of his stuff worked.

Update: I have now figured out what Jerry was trying to teach me and it is having some very impactful results...
tptguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let us know which of Jerry’s instructions made it possible for you to turn the corner. So many of his students get that aha moment, including me. But most of those aha moments are a little different. You’ve been very diligent, so what particularly opened the chops or ears for you? I’m sure many would like to know.
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I've been trying to figure this thing out for over twenty years!

Rich Colquhoun's books and videos were particularly helpful. His instruction to just initially tongue through the teeth to the lips and not worry so much about the wedge just to get started. When I try and do what is shown in the Callet diagrams, I think I exaggerate the movements and it doesn't work. I think the actual placements are more subtle than I realized...

I did make a video sharing a bit about it:
https://youtu.be/mK3qfFZL4HQ?si=a1KuHMox7COh3_kx

Last edited by donovan on Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
terrys17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Sylas Xavier in Brazil. Excellent teacher of the callet system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: