• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best fingering for the D above high C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject: Best fingering for the D above high C Reply with quote

On a Bb trumpet, what is the best fingering for high D?

In high school and college I played high D with the first valve (1--). I always assumed that this was the standard fingering. But now I am learning that there are other ways to play it, such as open (---), and also with first and third valves (1-3). I don't like playing it open because I tend to hit the C below it. But I tried first and third valves last night and discovered that the D slotted easier and was better in tune than with first valve alone, which is flat on my Shires. I don't remember it being that flat on my old Bach 37, but I was a kid then and didn't have the ear that I have now.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint McLaughlin had an exercise that we used to do.
He said that Don Jacoby used to have his students do it.
(If they chipped one they would start over to get 50 good ones)

Play a note High C or above with the different finger combinations
(All 7 I think)

Do it 50 times on each fingering.
Not all 7 50x in one setting totaling 350x (maybe someday 🙂)

Just pick one note and one alternate fingering and get used to how it feels.

Another variation on that exercise is to go through all finger combinations on one note back to back and get used to how it feels.

Your body will make adjustments and you are working on some fine tuning conditioning.

You’ll find you favorite like everyone.

If memory serves. Freddie Hubbard employed open and 1 alternating on his D’s in Red Clay. If one listens to it with that in mind they may hear the difference a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: