• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High Range Development for a High Schooler

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big C wrote:

With all the different advice I hear, it makes me wonder: How do I go about finding a "qualified" teacher? References? (I am a comeback player in the Oakland, CA area. I could do some zoom, but I feel like I'd want to do the first few in person.)

That's a good question without an obvious answer. It's probably less complicated if you're a "natural" who doesn't have any problems and who makes good progress just by practicing prescribed exercises and literature with a pointer here and there about breath control and other macro topics like that.

Looking for someone who teaches at the university level might be a rough guideline but even if they have a brag list of students who went on to the pro ranks you're probably not going to hear about their problem cases who they were never able to help despite a willingness to work on the part of the student.

Someone who's a great player isn't necessarily going to be a great teacher - Maynard was unable to get his late son Bentley on track, nor was the teacher he sent him to whose name escapes me. Doc's daughter Nancy tried playing as a kid - she was even featured in a Getzen ad with Doc but as I understand it she never got beyond the beginner stage though she did become a superb singer. In both cases they might have had some chronic issue, I'm sure the details matter. Doc said she just wasn't cut out to be a trumpet player, whatever that actually translated to. I think Maynard's son gave it a more extended try than Nancy Severinsen did.

Maurice Andre had a couple of sons who played trumpet one of whom died in his 20's. I think they developed into decent players but I've never heard that either were on par with Maurice. There are a few videos on Youtube of them playing with Maurice along with his daughter who plays oboe. I believe his son Nicolas is still an active player.

The problem is someone for whom everything works well for them they only know their own experience - they put it up and can play, where someone else stumbles. They're not necessarily going to have insight as to why someone is struggling - they can't relate to the experience - "High C is easy for me, why isn't it for you?"

I'm guessing the guy or gal who teaches through the local music store isn't likely to be an embouchure guru.

I would say try someone out - if you're genuinely working at it and seem to be making progress then stick with them. If you're not maybe look for another teacher. I would say one sign of a decent teacher is they've got you on a skill-building track and make it clear they expect you to work at it and if it's obvious you're *not* working they're willing to fire you as a student.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have to first develop Wind Power before you can develop Wind Control.

Not true.

If you are referring to air pressure, most healthy individuals have more than enough exhalation capacity to play the complete range. What they do not have is a developed tonal production skill of the embouchure.

The only thing we actually and directly control about the air is the pressure by exhalation effort. ("Wind" is a weather term) The tongue does NOT control this pressure other than denying it or allowing it to flow for articulation.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we just talking to hear ourselves talk? The OP posted once, 13 March.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

-------------------------
As of now there are more than 3700 'views' of the thread - so people other than the 'frequent posters' have been looking at it.

My guess it that the OP's situation seems familiar to many people, and they feel that it's worthwhile to keep looking for 'the answer'.

Also, the OP said they'd be away on vacation for a month - so that might explain part of it -
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1655538&highlight=#1655538
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, if you put "High Range" on a thread title, everybody's going to look at it, LOL.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

But just think - 10,000 years from now all this great info will be here for interested players to avail themselves of.

And 10,000 years from now it will still be true that free-buzzing is a pointless waste of time.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All
Wendell Phillips ¹
Quote:
If there is anything in the universe that can't stand discussion, let it crack.

Jay - it's people like you that keeps this forum alive - Nice One!

Note ¹ Wendell Phillips was referred to as Abolition's "Golden Trumpet" such was his eloquence.

Stay safe - Steve in Helsinki.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:
You have to first develop Wind Power before you can develop Wind Control.

The tongue does NOT control this pressure other than denying it or allowing it to flow for articulation.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. It does change the pressure/speed. If the tongue is all the way down vs. arching the back makes a huge difference (Ah vs Ee). This is outlined in many books, Maggio system, C.G. Tongue level exercises, etc.

Another way I've seen this referenced is a water hose without changing the pressure if you cover part of the end the water speeds up because there is more pressure created.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet2012fhl wrote:
Another way I've seen this referenced is a water hose without changing the pressure if you cover part of the end the water speeds up because there is more pressure created.

-----------------------
The lip aperture size and tension does the function of covering the end of the hose. The muscular action of forcing the tongue into various positions can have an effect on the lips, but the actual position of the tongue doesn't have much effect on the air. The muscle use associated with tongue movement also affects the lips and jaw.

Some people get good results by noticing the feeling of 'air speed', and how it can be controlled and adjusted by use of the lips, jaw, tongue, etc.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: