• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Soulo Soft Adjustable Straight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Soulo Soft Adjustable Straight Reply with quote

Hey TH,

More mute news with a new video. So Soulo just released a brand new mute a month ago - an adjustable straight / soft mute. I had a chance to take it through the paces and I compared it to the two other straight mutes in their line-up.

Has anyone else here picked one of these up?

Link

Denis Wick Artist
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an interesting mute. Adjusting the mute works really well from a mechanical perspective. The ring slides smoothly and stays in place once you stop moving it. Also, it is sturdy, so not likely to be damaged in the mute bag.

I found articulation to be crisp with the ring close to the bell and more diffused as the ring moved away from the bell.

Sound-wise, I didn't find a ring position where I was getting exactly what I wanted, but that's just a matter of preference.

Not a first choice for playing in a big section, but it could be useful for solo and small ensemble playing. Always nice to have more sound options.

This mute gets me thinking about possibilities. I agree with you that it would be nice to see more mute makers offering adjustable straight mute options!
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
It is an interesting mute. Adjusting the mute works really well from a mechanical perspective. The ring slides smoothly and stays in place once you stop moving it. Also, it is sturdy, so not likely to be damaged in the mute bag.

I found articulation to be crisp with the ring close to the bell and more diffused as the ring moved away from the bell.

Sound-wise, I didn't find a ring position where I was getting exactly what I wanted, but that's just a matter of preference.

Not a first choice for playing in a big section, but it could be useful for solo and small ensemble playing. Always nice to have more sound options.

This mute gets me thinking about possibilities. I agree with you that it would be nice to see more mute makers offering adjustable straight mute options!

Yes - this definitely has some unique sound options. I hope that they keep experimenting and perhaps come out with some additional ring designs/materials that offer even more unique options - as this is definitely a design that can be further explored.

I'd be very interested to hear a duplicate of this mute in metal, or some other materials. Or even just the ring in metal ...

But as a solo and soft mute this really has a lot to offer.
Denis Wick Artist
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd be very interested to hear a duplicate of this mute in metal, or some other materials. Or even just the ring in metal ...

I agree! In addition to Soulo, mute makers like Clary, RGC, Huber, Warburton, S-Mute...already have mute bodies that would seem to work well for an adjustable straight mute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: