• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip Trills as a Key for Unlocking range?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:23 am    Post subject: Lip Trills as a Key for Unlocking range? Reply with quote

Hi again Trumpet Players

I am indebted to Robert P who on another topic wrote about the need to subtly change mechanics to achieve ease of playing above the staff. Robert came up with quite a list which got me thinking how does one achieve this - how does one teach it?

Following Balanced Embouchure (BE) and Flexus exercises I do lip trills above the staff. When I started them I found them difficult and was ready to put myself in the "I can't do lip trills" bracket but I have kept going and in the last 2 weeks they are getting better. My instinct tell me they are a good way to develop - Lip trills to my mind illustrate how tiny a shift in the balance and synchronization of muscles, lips, tongue, teeth (and anything else I've missed out!) is required to ascend with no discernible increase in effort. As my trills improve I have the sensation of "letting go of control" which I feel enables intuitive embouchure development.

So any comments appreciated - either on the perceived benefits or not of doing lip trills?

cheers and stay safe - Steve in Helsinki
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a way of learning and practicing the 'physical adjustments' needed to produce the desired notes. With enough 'thoughtful practice' the adjustments can become 'no need for thought' and just 'happen' as required.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lip Trills as a Key for Unlocking range? Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
Hi again Trumpet Players

I am indebted to Robert P who on another topic wrote about the need to subtly change mechanics to achieve ease of playing above the staff. Robert came up with quite a list which got me thinking how does one achieve this - how does one teach it?

Following Balanced Embouchure (BE) and Flexus exercises I do lip trills above the staff. When I started them I found them difficult and was ready to put myself in the "I can't do lip trills" bracket but I have kept going and in the last 2 weeks they are getting better. My instinct tell me they are a good way to develop - Lip trills to my mind illustrate how tiny a shift in the balance and synchronization of muscles, lips, tongue, teeth (and anything else I've missed out!) is required to ascend with no discernible increase in effort. As my trills improve I have the sensation of "letting go of control" which I feel enables intuitive embouchure development.

So any comments appreciated - either on the perceived benefits or not of doing lip trills?

cheers and stay safe - Steve in Helsinki

Glad you got something of benefit from my posts.

Quote:
When I started them I found them difficult and was ready to put myself in the "I can't do lip trills" bracket but I have kept going

Yes, the way to get better at something is to work at it and examine the mechanics of what you're doing. You *were* in the can't do them bracket just like when you were little you were once in the "can't walk" category but you worked at it.

Keep up the good work!
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: