• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jon Faddis with Thad & Mel!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Jon Faddis with Thad & Mel! Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Jon live twice. What you don't get on recordings and videos is how powerful he is in person. Last time I saw him he was fronting the SUNY Purchase Faculty Band. He didn't play a real lot. He was conducting most of the show. When he did play, he was off mic quite a bit. His power was astounding. A young drummer I know had Jon for a class at SUNY and loved him. One of the true greats of the instrument.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to take an alternate view. I think Faddis is an incredible player and understand he can read the spots off of anything. But as an improvisor, I just don't get into him. The first solo above, for example. he is all screech, and his melodic ideas are very redundant. IMHO ("humble" being the key word), I think there's more improvised-musicianship packed into four measures of Lee Morgan than an entire chorus by Faddis that I have heard..

If anyone can give me links to playing that contradicts this that would be great. I have nothing to lose y someone else doing well. I have not listened to Faddis in depth because a little diet doesn't make me want to hear more, so i welcome examples to the opposite..

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Blues In A Minute Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
peanuts56 wrote:
I've heard Jon live twice. What you don't get on recordings and videos is how powerful he is in person. Last time I saw him he was fronting the SUNY Purchase Faculty Band. He didn't play a real lot. He was conducting most of the show. When he did play, he was off mic quite a bit. His power was astounding. A young drummer I know had Jon for a class at SUNY and loved him. One of the true greats of the instrument.

Heard Jon with this Band from the Potpourri recording. Jim Bossy was playing 2nd (the hardest chair to play with Thad's writing!) and had his bell up and out, moving some air keeping up to Jon's sound. Faddis had his projection really smokin in those days.

First time I heard him was in 74 with Thad and Mel at some high school in Glastonbury Ct.
The SUNY Purchase show was about 15 years ago. Jon was probably 54-55, but man that power was astounding. Like I mentioned he didn't play a whole lot. He was walking gingerly like his back went out. That may have been why he didn't play a lot. He seemed to be doubling the lead when he did play. I believe Ron Tooley was on lead. They finished the show with Maynard's version of Frame For The Blues. Jon tore it to pieces.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of Jon Faddis. The only time I ever saw him perform live, he was playing with a local high school honor band. He was incredibly rude and disrespectful toward the students and the band as a whole, and publicly expressed to the audience how beneath him it was to be there.

I will never pay to hear Faddis live again.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On trumpetherald I feel like each comment receives an equal and opposite reaction. Thesis: antithesis.

I'm sad OP deleted the videos because I always learn from them. Part of the fun of sites like this is being exposed to different artists and approaches. I had a phase where I was watching trumpet interviews, and I remember Faddis as always being interesting and friendly. He's definitely one of the giants.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faddis never was for everybody (unlike his idol Dizzy who was always a gentleman) ...he's an odd duck and let's just say...an acquired taste in both personality and playing style.
LadFree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played with Jon on a number of occasions,both in the studio and live, and trust me, the guy is a total mutha; He is the very,VERY rare combo of extreme power and sizzle and seemingly 100% accuracy. I would imagine that being that great would bring out a swagger in most folks..and yes ,Jon has that swagger for sure..As would most of us! Amazing player.Would love to have just 10 minutes in my life to be able to experience what thats like!
As for his jazz playing, that ,my friends,is just a taste thing.Either you like,or you don`t..However,he does play some amazing stuff in his solos.Nobody can deny that.Like it or not.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to his album "Legacy." Not only can he play and articulate in the extreme upper register, he also SWINGS and plays with great style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVH6tTBy5Ok&list=PL0q2VleZJVEkmFbFoycoaSF6kCduRPV8v&ab_channel=ktdchon22
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@chase (only).

If you live in Port St. Lucie, did you know Marty Fox? When I knew him, he was an excellent trumpet player. He had an audio shop (Fox Audio?). Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About swagger, I've known outstanding lead trumpeters (first-call studio) who were regular guys. Confident when it counted but not like they were the baddest guy on the block, either. Being great and having an "attitude" are not necessarily synonymous.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
LadFree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not at all say Jon has what you call an attitude;
What I meant by swagger, is confidence;And that would be
a well earned confidence in my opinion.
I was on a recording with him and a couple of first call guys(NYC early 80s)
who moved over as soon as he walked in the room.No questions asked;
On another session, he sat on 4th trumpet, and was totally cool with it.
Everybody in the room from the engineers to the receptionist knew
who he was, and aside from a few (corny) jokes, he played his part
with zero attitude.
He also can clown it up pretty good; He`s got a large repertoire of jokes.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadFree wrote:
What I meant by swagger, is confidence. And that would be a well-earned confidence in my opinion.

Absolutely.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Jon once when I heard him in 74. He was maybe 21 and was a bit cocky and short. I think he has probably matured a bit. The SUNY students I know who have had him love him. He's known to be a bit quirky with an odd sense of humor from what they've told me.
When I saw him at SUNY Purchase he was funny and engaging. I didn't take the opportunity to go up and meet him afterward. He was sitting at the piano on stage after the performance. My wife was exhausted having flown overnight from a funeral in Hawaii that day and hadn't slept. We just booked out of there as soon as the show ended.
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed like a fire of some type was lit under him following his high note dual with Arturo in the 80's. All of a sudden, recordings began coming out with hundreds of high tones, often above Dbl C, hitting them over again, repeatedly. As if to say, that in case there were any doubters, he was determined to silence them :

(first track)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH9FHpxWz9c
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon might be described as a bit complex. He often communicates via example to make a point. On one rehearsal that I did where he was the guest artist, each time the trumpet section was playing a little "too square", he would point his horn at us and play an orchestral excerpt.
When it came time for the gig, I had the chance to play next to him on a few tunes. Somebody mentioned his power live - it is truly remarkable. At one point, I came in on a F above high C. There was nothing weak about my F. He waited a couple of beats, then came in on the F with me. Then he ripped it up to F above double high C. It was so loud that I couldn't tell if I was still playing or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: