• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Acoustic Neuroma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Acoustic Neuroma Reply with quote

Hi, I don’t quite know which forum to put this. I’ve had tinnitus for 3 or 4 years as well as balance issues for longer and recently had great hearing loss in my left ear. About 3 weeks ago I had an MRI and my ENT doc told me Thursday that I have Acoustic Neuroma. It’s a tumor that is pressing against 4 of the nerves near my inner ear. The nerves involved are the cochlear, hearing, balance, and facial. I was told the tumor is too big for surgery (this is good because one of the side effects can be paralyzed facial nerve). So, it’s benign and I get to see an oncologist to start gamma-knife therapy.

Has any one in the TH community had this procedure. My questions, which my present ENT hasn’t answered, and I’ve looked on the internet. I can find nothing about trumpet playing and this malady.
- What might the side effects be?
- Will I be able to play/practice after each procedure or will I have to wait days or weeks?

I’m presently preparing audition pieces for the ensembles for grad school in the fall. Should I postpone grad school until the spring? I want to be at my best in the audition. Also, I will turn 69 in the this fall’s semester.

Thanks, Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I don’t quite know which forum to put this. I’ve had tinnitus for 3 or 4 years as well as balance issues for longer and recently had great hearing loss in my left ear. About 3 weeks ago I had an MRI and my ENT doc told me Thursday that I have Acoustic Neuroma. It’s a tumor that is pressing against 4 of the nerves near my inner ear. The nerves involved are the cochlear, hearing, balance, and facial. I was told the tumor is too big for surgery (this is good because one of the side effects can be paralyzed facial nerve). So, it’s benign and I get to see an oncologist to start gamma-knife therapy.

Has any one in the TH community had this procedure. My questions, which my present ENT hasn’t answered, and I’ve looked on the internet. I can find nothing about trumpet playing and this malady.
- What might the side effects be?
- Will I be able to play/practice after each procedure or will I have to wait days or weeks?

I’m presently preparing audition pieces for the ensembles for grad school in the fall. Should I postpone grad school until the spring? I want to be at my best in the audition. Also, I will turn 69 in the this fall’s semester.

Thanks, Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

The forum doesn’t allow medical advice and discussion. I think discussing trumpet related health issues could benefit the community but I don’t have any say.

Perhaps you should edit the request for advice and ask anyone who has had it to PM you? Hopefully that would allow you to find kindred spirits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: