• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Acoustic Neuroma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Acoustic Neuroma Reply with quote

Hi, I don’t quite know which forum to put this. I’ve had tinnitus for 3 or 4 years as well as balance issues for longer and recently had great hearing loss in my left ear. About 3 weeks ago I had an MRI and my ENT doc told me Thursday that I have Acoustic Neuroma. It’s a tumor that is pressing against 4 of the nerves near my inner ear. The nerves involved are the cochlear, hearing, balance, and facial. I was told the tumor is too big for surgery (this is good because one of the side effects can be paralyzed facial nerve). So, it’s benign and I get to see an oncologist to start gamma-knife therapy.

Has any one in the TH community had this procedure. My questions, which my present ENT hasn’t answered, and I’ve looked on the internet. I can find nothing about trumpet playing and this malady.
- What might the side effects be?
- Will I be able to play/practice after each procedure or will I have to wait days or weeks?

I’m presently preparing audition pieces for the ensembles for grad school in the fall. Should I postpone grad school until the spring? I want to be at my best in the audition. Also, I will turn 69 in the this fall’s semester.

Thanks, Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this, and I hope doing you're okay. I'm speaking as a physician, but I'm just providing general information.

As you probably know, there is no "knife" in the Gamma Knife procedure. Instead, it's a guided radiation source, that targets and kills the lesion. The Gamma Knife procedure is not done by your ENT doctor, which may be why he/she was unable to say whether you will have to stop playing the trumpet for a while. Talk to your Radiation Oncologist, who is the person who will be performing the procedure.

I'll add that playing the trumpet is similar to moderate physical activity (like taking a brisk walk) along with moderate resistance weight training. These are just general guidelines, and are not an exact comparison. But I've used them in the past to provide people a framework for talking to their doctors about activity limits.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mike, I’m waiting to have my consult with the oncologist. Yes, radiation is what I was told and the procedure will/should shrink the tumor and relieve the pressure on the nerves. I’m putting this on TH so I may jot down more questions to ask the oncologist.

Two years ago I had thoracic surgery to fix an aneurysm of the diverticulum. I also have a right sided enlarged aorta, born with that. From that operation I got some paralysis in my right foot and numbness of 2 fingers on my right hand and a paralyzed left vocal cord (had something to do with the aorta). Had the operation for the fingers at the right elbow last year. This getting old stuff, but I’m still playing. Just retired from teaching and, hopefully, going back to school.

Thanks, Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
ebolton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Falado, you are one tough hombre. Good luck with your treatments!
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebolton wrote:
Geez Falado, you are one tough hombre. Good luck with your treatments!

Thanks, I’m actually in pretty good shape for my age. The doctors even tell me that. My colleagues at the school where I taught Thought I was in my 40s when I announced my retirement. I was in the USMC bands for 10 1/2 years and USN bands for another 11 1/2 years. I’ve never smoked a day, I don’t drink or do any funny stuff (I know, I’m boring). I just finished 18 years of teaching school bands and can still walk the marching band students into the dirt. So, I’m just meeting this stuff head on. I’m not slowing down yet. I’m now increasing my walking/breathing exercises and going to start lifting weights (lightly). But, still playing that trumpet, keeps me going. I was also playing guitar in a blues band.

Dave
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
DGLawrence

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Acoustic neuroma Reply with quote

I am a 79 year old comeback trumpeter who had acoustic neuroma surgery in August, 2022. While it was successful, I did have facial nerve stress. My smile is largely normal now but my embouchure has a long ways to go. My range is limited (but somewhat improved) and my endurance is shot. I have not rejoined my community band yet as a result. I need the incentive to practice daily and rebuild the muscles and just wait for the nerve to fully heal. Here is hoping your radiation treatment is or was successful.

Dave Lawrence
JohnHou

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falado- sorry to hear this.

I've been experiencing the same issues as you—balance problems, tinnitus, unexplained hearing loss—but we haven't been able to pinpoint the cause. It's been incredibly difficult to say the least.

In my case we've had to just treat the symptoms. One thing you may want to ask about is balance therapy. I found it incredibly helpful in restoring most of my ability to do complex physical task where before, I would struggle to feel any body awareness. This made activity and things like playing trumpet much easier as I don't feel as much disconnect. Plus my insurance covered all the costs.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear this, falado, and wish you well.

Although I've had my health challenges, what you have is not one of them. I can offer some general advice, though. Don't rush things.

One of the consequences of a shark safari in Hawai`i I went on, is that I came back with a hole in my ear drum (it could have been worse!).

The doctor was a huge classical-music fan and supporter and I had a lot of confidence in his advice. I didn't play or conduct or even take part in any activities, active or passive, that exposed my ears to noise. for nine months while he monitored my progress. Though there's a compulsion to press on that's always not the wisest. Don't take any chances. Be patient. And good luck.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cfarmer

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falado,
I had an acoustic neuroma in 2004. There are a lot of things to talk about. You are welcome to email me or call me at 281-541-5339. I had mine removed. t left me totally deaf on the left side and with impaired balance. I was paralyzed on my left side for about 6 months afterwards. Going from double c to not being able to play a low c is pretty devastating, but you can come back. you have to learn a new way of listening for intonation along with no directional hearing. I made my comeback by leaving my flugle out and playing everytime i walked passed it. Very soft with strict embouchure control to prevent learning bad habits. There are no shortcuts just patience.
dlewis

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Acoustic Neuroma surgery 31 years ago. I was lucky I am deaf in my right ear and have a little weakness in the chops but during well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: