• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which piccolo would you choose?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the above, but mainly because I think the P7-4 model from Schilke is slightly better than the 5-4.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I bought the jupiter and like it. I am a comeback player and found the short bells hard to play and I just didn't have the $$$ for Yamaha/Schilke. No regrets. There are apparently different jupiter versions. Mine came with A/Bb cornet pipes only.

My XO 1700RS (Rose Brass Bell) came complete with both Bb and A pipes in Trumpet Shank and Cornet Shank configurations as well as Brass and Nylon Valve guides, Standard and Lightweight Springs, Standard and Lightweight Finger Buttons, Standard and Heavyweight Bottom Caps, and the Tourlite Double Case with Separate Hard Case for the Piccolo alone and the XO 11AX version of the Schilke 11AX GP mouthpiece (which I like better and use in some situations preferring my Reeves 41SV GP over both for mostly everything).

I don't use any of the accessories other than the standard configurations, and so far, that has fit my needs. I have used the single hard case a few times but the piccolo has spent most of its life in my Raw Brass Jr. 2.5 case. I am very happy with the workmanship regarding the complete package as well as Trent's available on YouTube evaluation ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK1BO-B0w6M ) and representation of this specific instrument, even making a fair comparison to the Schilke product.

Life is short!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces

Last edited by cbtj51 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
blownchops

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an XO 1700R that I love, I got it at the end of my college years. I thought it played better than the school P4-5 that I had been playing for a year or two. I got a killer deal on it because it was not a Schilke and thus had less people clamoring to buy it from one of the FB trumpet selling pages.

Do not let the Jupiter name or stigma fool you, the pics they make are for real.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those 4, I would keep the Kanstul and flog the rest. The Kanstul has a broader, more singing sound than the Schilke and Stomvi.

I briefly had a Jupiter, but it was not in the same league as any of the other three, for sound and especially intonation.

cheers

Andy
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Kanstul Reply with quote

I play a Kanstul/Besson 920, and it’s my permanent choice. I’ve had the opportunity to A/B it with Schilke P5/4, P7/4, Stomvi Elite, and the Yamaha 9000 series. To be clear, I’m a commercial player, and I play a lot of lead and pops stuff. I’m not the orchestral principal type…unless it goes above high F, then they call 🤓

For my purposes, the Kanstul does everything I need and is an easier transition than the Schilkes, and it has a very good scale. Because I’m a gear head, I’m going to order a set of trumpet shank Blackburn pipes for it - but I’d do that with any picc!

I’ve seen a couple of Kanstul 920 piccs for sale lately in the $2000 range, which is an absolute steal on a great instrument.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve always found the P5-4 to be the best for evenness throughout the registers. Definitely what I would use for the highest and most delicate piccolo parts. If may not be the richest and most broad sounding, but that’s what big horns are for IMO
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
None of the above, but mainly because I think the P7-4 model from Schilke is slightly better than the 5-4.

More than slightly better....the 7-4 is incredible.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up with a Stomvi Elite. I will send impressions out of the horn when I get some playing time in. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: