• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Type I’s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gonya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Type I’s Reply with quote

Are there any stories of type I players? I heard that Lin Biviano was a type I and could move the mouthpiece off to the side when he got tired.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biviano was clearly a IIIB. Doc said he always wanted to be a IIIA "like Bill Chase" but he wasn't.

I think Kenny Smukal could have been considered a Type I, but there's really no point to classifying anybody that type - functionally it's either IIIA or IV.
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took five or six lessons with Lin many years ago. I was always under the impression he was a IIIA, and he is listed as a famous IIIA.

However, talking with Chris L., also a big Lin Biviano fan like I am, Chris said that he thinks Lin started off as a IIIA and eventually became a IIIB.

I heard that Lin had a lot of dental work done over the years and that may have created a switch of some kind. I never asked Lin about his teeth.

Chris also told me if I’m remembering correctly that something similar happened with Maynard; that he started off as I think a IIIA, and his placement changed after that dental work he had done in the early 60s after that drunk guy hit his horn while he was playing. I can’t totally remember and don’t know for sure.

Anyway this is the first I ever heard of Lin being a type I. Also, he could still hit Triple C’s so if he was a IIIB he was one of the few who could do that. My friend John Replogle said Lin played a triple C in a lesson for him one time no problem. The highest Lin ever played for me was a Double D. He took the horn out of his case, totally cold, and nailed one. Then he said, “Don’t ever do that.” Ha.
Gonya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that Bill Chase was a IIIB and that Maynard began as a IIIB, but had dental work done and bounced back and fourth between being a IIIB and a IIIA for the rest of his life. I heard that Lin was a type I from this interview with Glenn Libman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ99GK0MfuI
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonya wrote:
I've heard that Bill Chase was a IIIB and that Maynard began as a IIIB, but had dental work done and bounced back and fourth between being a IIIB and a IIIA for the rest of his life. I heard that Lin was a type I from this interview with Glenn Libman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ99GK0MfuI

Yes, I saw that interview but didn't get to finish watching. Awesome stuff. I guess I didn't get to the part about Lin. Thanks for reminding me.

Yeah, Bill Chase was a IIIB as long as I've known it.

Yeah, Maynard was either a IIIA or IIIB who switched around after the dental work. Doc Reinhardt reportedly said, "As far as I can tell, Maynard is a IIIB," but I don't know when this was.
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a type Ia.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched that Glenn Libman interview a few months back and was struck by one or two types he didn't get right. At the moment I only remember that he said Roger Ingram was a IV, but Roger did an endorsement of my Focal Point book and states that he is a IIIA. I know that because he gave me permission to use his endorsement in the front matter of my book.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
I think Kenny Smukal could have been considered a Type I, but there's really no point to classifying anybody that type - functionally it's either IIIA or IV.

bg wrote:
I am a type Ia.

It hasn't been explicitly stated yet, but type I and IA players are individuals who have a bite that is even, their teeth line up while at rest and are generally even while playing. There's something about this physical setup that means these players will play best with either a high placement on the lips, like a IIIA, or a low placement, like a IV. Functionally, a Type I and Type IIIA are identical. A Type IA and Type IV are identical. Other than the position of the jaw while at rest, there's really no difference between I/IIIA or IA/IV.

The thing is, I've run into players who can play as a IIIA and IV almost equally well who have a more typical bite, so this situation of having to identify whether a player should function as a IIIA or IV isn't just for players with the even bite. Maybe Doug, Brad, or some of the other folks here can confirm if their experience is similar.

Dave
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I struggled with placement for much of my playing life.

I was constantly being advised to place higher, by people who did not understand embouchure function. They meant well, and were sincere in their convictions that their advice would be helpful. They were simply wrong.

If I start to have some bad chop days now, it usually ends up being due to my placement beginning to creep higher.

My bite is dead even, at rest and while playing. Here's a question that I have for you guys. My track is far more horizontal than vertical. When it's working most smoothly, it appears to be straight right-to-left. I pivot upward to ascend above the limit of my track. Could this horizontal track be a unique function of the type I player?
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, the track of the player's pivot is personal and how horizontal it goes doesn't appear to be related to a musician being a Type I or any other type. As a IV myself, (or IVA, depending on whether you feel that it's worth differentiating between those types) I also have a great deal of horizontal tracking.

Quote:
I pivot upward to ascend above the limit of my track.

As a IA, I would expect your embouchure to function like a IV, the only real difference is your bite while at rest. Are you saying that when you ascend you push the mouthpiece and lips up, like a IIIA would? Or are you saying that you reverse the direction of your pivot from pulling down at a certain point in your extreme upper register? Or something different? Video that demonstrates what you're talking about might be helpful.

Dave
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tracking right to left, and pulling my lips slightly downward to ascend to near E above Double C. At this point, I employ a pivot (as Reinhardt says, as a "trump card") very subtly shifting the weight to my upper teeth and continuing the track motion and the downward lip pull.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/q2KgpnQhxiE
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation and demonstration, Brad. My initial though was that you were saying that you played upstream, but with a Type 1 pivot (pushing generally up to ascend). I've never seen that situation and it would be unusual.

Dave
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I believe that Reinhardt made a distinction between the "track" and the "pivot'.

My interpretation is that these are two separate phenomena, and I've tried to show how I've interpreted and applied what he described.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is partly why I don't like to use the term "pivot." It's too easily confused if it's not defined for everyone.

Quote:
The PIVOT is controlled by pulling down or pushing up the lips on the teeth with the rim of the mouthpiece. The outer embouchure...and the mouthpiece move vertically (some with slight deviations to one side or the other) as one combined unit on the invisible vertical track of the inner embouchure ...; however, the position of the mouthpiece on the outer embouchure must not be altered in any way.

- Reinhardt, Encyclopedia of the Pivot System, 1973, p. 194

Pivot Classification One is to push up to ascend while Pivot Classification Two pulls down to ascend. As far as I've seen, every upstream type uses Pivot Classification Two, although the track of the pivot can also have some side to side as well.

Angle changes to the instrument while pivoting are mostly (I feel) to maintain the "legs" of the embouchure as the mouthpiece and lips together are moving to a different part along the teeth and gums underneath. Our teeth, gums, and jaw are not a flat plane, there's some curvature to them. If your pivot track is moving to your left, for example, you'll probably bring your horn angle towards the left to follow the shape of your teeth, gums, and jaw.

Dave
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the help, and clarification.

I was struck by the advice given in the Encyclopedia, on page A-46, under the category "Pivot System Musts."

"Strive to keep more weight (mouthpiece pressure) on the lower lip than on the upper and travel as far into the high register as possible in this manner; however, it must be comprehended that this maneuver does not give you permission to recede the jaw while so doing. Use any additional upper lip weight only as a "trump card" for the last few notes in the extreme upper register and even avoid its usage at this point, if possible."

Since I do use that "extreme" register on rare occasions, I found that this advice made it more reliable for me. The way I've interpreted this is nearly literal; I don't consciously shift weight until I feel that I am at what I have called the END of my normal track. At this point, the slight shift seems to keep the air and sound moving and allows me to continue beyond that point.

I often touch upon this in my daily routine, early on. It works in the form of an extension to the track routine for me.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional info, Brad. It's very interesting stuff.

Quote:
The way I've interpreted this is nearly literal; I don't consciously shift weight until I feel that I am at what I have called the END of my normal track. At this point, the slight shift seems to keep the air and sound moving and allows me to continue beyond that point.

Yes, that makes sense and I find the same with my extreme upper register too. I think we just need to be careful that we don't allow this "trump card" to begin working its way into our normal playing range, for what that's worth. If I did that playing lead trombone in a big band I would be spent after a set.

But tilting the bell up to put more mouthpiece weight on the upper lip is not "pivoting up," at least not as Reinhardt defined a pivot. As I mentioned, I prefer to avoid using that term unless I know I'm discussing it with people who understand how Reinhardt defined it. Even then, sometimes it things become unclear and the waters get muddied unless you're careful to explain whether you're talking about the pushing and pulling of the mouthpiece and lips together along the teeth and gums or whether you're talking about changing around the horn angle. The two work together, but I feel that the horn angle changes are mostly necessary for keeping the "legs" of the embouchure consistent while following the shape of the teeth and gums underneath.

Dave
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

I'm absolutely striving to not tilt the bell, at all; even when I shift weight above my "usable range." The weight shifting that I'm doing is very minimal.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:20 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Biviano was clearly a IIIB. Doc said he always wanted to be a IIIA "like Bill Chase" but he wasn't.

Sorry Doug, Bill was a Blood N Guts 3B...no doubt...you can tell by the horn angle, sound and physical exertion with which he played...Doc typed some cats incorrectly from time to time and this was DEFINITELY the case, I never knew Chase to take a lesson from Doc tho...Bill was a IIIB...Chris LaBarbera & Dave Sheetz also said so...just watch the Faces video...no doubt. Pulls down to ascend. He did have that cupids bow top lip which, in some images, makes it look like his MPC placement is high but I have other images close up that would confirm I'm correct
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: