• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benge trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirrone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: Benge trumpet Reply with quote

For sale posts are not allowed in the forums. If you are having trouble please read the posts in the Announcements forum about the Marketplace, or contact the sysadmin username trumpetherald.

Thank you,
TH Moderators
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
Pirrone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems difficult to do I guess I’ll pass on the TH
I don’t get it
dr-pepp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirrone wrote:
I don’t get it

Pirrone, I don't know if you are still with us or not, but the marketplace is for members of this Forum that contribute to the discussion. It is not simply a place for a new person to come along and sell a horn without participating in the discussion. There are plenty of other places to sell a horn (some that charge a fee) that don't require participation, but this isn't one of them. The fee for listing an item for sale in the TH marketplace is participation.
also administrator of Olds Central
www.olds-central.com
Pirrone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks so if I participate in forum or topic discussion I’m good ??
Wasn’t sure I’ve been on before mainly looking and reading topics
For some years now 😊
dr-pepp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was describing the concept. There is a minimum number of posts and other rules related to the marketplace. You can do your own research on that. The minimum number of posts used to be 5, but again, you can check that out yourself. But if your only reason for posting is to get your number up to the minimum so you can post a horn for sale, most members will see through that. When you post an ad, members can see when you joined and what you have posted. If you are a new member and have 5 posts that are like your first 3 posts then you are probably not going to get the full benefit of your ad. The concept is participate and then after you have been here for some time, list something in the marketplace if you have something to sell.

If you reply back to me and that gets you to post #4, then you are gaming the system.
www.olds-central.com
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirrone wrote:
Ok thanks so if I participate in forum or topic discussion I’m good ??
Wasn’t sure I’ve been on before mainly looking and reading topics
For some years now 😊

You need to be a member with at least 5 posts to activate the sales function of the site. It's described in the user agreement.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Pirrone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info 😊
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr-pepp wrote:
Pirrone wrote:
I don’t get it

Pirrone, I don't know if you are still with us or not, but the marketplace is for members of this Forum that contribute to the discussion. It is not simply a place for a new person to come along and sell a horn without participating in the discussion. There are plenty of other places to sell a horn (some that charge a fee) that don't require participation, but this isn't one of them. The fee for listing an item for sale in the TH marketplace is participation.

Actually this is not true. In addition I believe the five post rule was suspended a while back.

I am not involved in the management of this site, but my understanding is that the reason for the old five post rule was to raise the bar to prevent scammers from harming members and the site, not to force participation.

Of course the members hope that marketplace sellers will participate so that the buyers can get to know them and make informed decisions about whether to buy from them. But there have been participants who have been less than pleasant to deal with or outright dishonest.

Also, you are not the first person to find it challenging to use the marketplace. I remember numerous posts about:
Adding pictures to ads (seems to be a “size matters ” issue)
Remembering the marketplace pin
Not understanding the need for five posts
Determining which listings are still active and which were abandoned by the seller.

Edit: one more point. I don’t use the marketplace at this time, either to sell or buy. I certainly don’t want every non-musical, non-trumpet playing person who wishes to sell the trumpet their parents bought for them back in grade school cluttering up the forums. YMMV

Last edited by LittleRusty on Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Pirrone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I don’t mind participating in the forum
Like I said I’ve been participating for years
Mostly reading I’m a fan of the Callet forums 😊
Pirrone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 😊
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr-pepp wrote:
I was describing the concept. There is a minimum number of posts and other rules related to the marketplace. You can do your own research on that. The minimum number of posts used to be 5, but again, you can check that out yourself. But if your only reason for posting is to get your number up to the minimum so you can post a horn for sale, most members will see through that. When you post an ad, members can see when you joined and what you have posted. If you are a new member and have 5 posts that are like your first 3 posts then you are probably not going to get the full benefit of your ad. The concept is participate and then after you have been here for some time, list something in the marketplace if you have something to sell.

If you reply back to me and that gets you to post #4, then you are gaming the system.

Clay, I think both of your comments were well said. The first thing I do when I see a name posting something in the Marketplace that I don't recognise - I look for posts in the Forums. If there's a handful - that doesn't tell me everything about the potential seller - but it tells me quite a bit.

TH is a great place to do business, in my opinion. I've bought scores of mouthpieces and horns here - and delight in offereing sales at TH before anywhere else. And the Forums... I've learned a tremendous amount here.

Just sayin' - well said, Clay.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Pirrone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses I appreciate the answers
Sorry if I offended anyone
😊
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
dr-pepp wrote:

Clay, I think both of your comments were well said. The first thing I do when I see a name posting something in the Marketplace that I don't recognise - I look for posts in the Forums. If there's a handful - that doesn't tell me everything about the potential seller - but it tells me quite a bit.

TH is a great place to do business, in my opinion. I've bought scores of mouthpieces and horns here - and delight in offereing sales at TH before anywhere else. And the Forums... I've learned a tremendous amount here.

Just sayin' - well said, Clay.

Clay,

The embedded quote is actually quite different than the original that I quoted above. In fact it now basically says what I said in my reply.

I took offense to the tone that implied a member wasn’t welcome to make use of the marketplace. IHMO, YMMV, this is not how I want TH to be.

I happen to agree that quality posts tell us a lot about the seller, but I think we can all agree if the price is good enough it won’t matter to some.

Peace.
dr-pepp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

I took offense to the tone that implied a member wasn’t welcome to make use of the marketplace. IHMO, YMMV, this is not how I want TH to be.

I happen to agree that quality posts tell us a lot about the seller, but I think we can all agree if the price is good enough it won’t matter to some.

Peace.

I did a quick scan of the User Agreement and did not find any reference to the "five post" rule. I also scanned the 7 page thread posted at the top of the market place and there are several references to the "five post rule" but no comments that his has been eliminated. It may very well have been eliminated and I just missed it, but the OP did manage to resolve the difficulties with posting an ad just after the 5th meaningless post and now has a Benge posted in the marketplace.

I may have confused the purpose of the five post rule with trying to keep scammers away, but over they years I've seen plenty of new members that make five meaningless posts then post their one and only ad and are gone after that.

I'm a member of another forum with a 25 post requirement to be able to access their "trading post" and that requirement is clearly to not allow new members to join and immediately sell items. I may have confused the intent of the two different forums in my head.

I'm of the opinion that a new member should not have immediate access to the marketplace but I agree that if the price and/or the item that is posted is desirable, then it won't matter to some (including me!) I'm not worried that I'd get taken in by a scammer or inexperienced seller since I've purchased enough horns from inexperienced sellers, but it introduces the potential for more problems in the marketplace.

I buy and sell horns in several different marketplaces and they all have their own character. IMHO, the TH marketplace is by far the "best" place to buy or sell a horn. Not allowing Joe Shmoe to just pop on and sell a horn is part of what makes it different from other "free" marketplaces like craigslist or facebook marketplace.
www.olds-central.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, I think you're wizzing into the wind. This is a very laissez faire place, administratively..

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: