• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gould On Music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimJims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Gould On Music Reply with quote

Hi, folks. New to TH and look forward to the geekdom. Has anyone else started the new Mark Gould book? Finally able to get my hands on it and thought it would be fun to dissect other readers thoughts. Looking forward to the chat and everyone’s musical gumbo!
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine just arrived a few days ago - looking forward to reading it!

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s a great and thought-provoking book. I read it last summer and again over Christmas. The connection between great sound and great time was an interesting one, as was the Wynton quote about a great sound having the most information. Flipping the pursuit of a great sound from removing imperfections to chasing information is pretty powerful.
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread! We got some really nice reviews here is one from Chris Gekker.

For people who do not know Mark's book, you can see it all right here.

No surprise, coming from Mark Gould: there is not any book about trumpet and musicianship remotely close to this. Serious, serious stuff, written with a quick, flowing narrative – imagine a page-turner about playing the trumpet! At the same time, we are compelled to reread, study, and think, long after the book is put down.

Also no surprise, there is humor within – this quality is an ironic deep vein in all of Mark’s creative output. (To call him “funny” is as silly as calling music by Ellington and Beethoven “pretty.”) A reading experience that is deeply educational, perspectives and insights that inspire further reflection – how often, honestly, do we experience this? I have no doubt that anyone who explores these pages will be moved, as I continue to be.

Ostensibly a book about playing and teaching trumpet, this book soon extends into areas of general musicianship, with perspectives and insights that compel us to think long after the book is put down. Ultimately these explorations by Mark Gould expand further, meditations on artistic creativity that exceed anything in my own reading experience. His thoughts on teaching are universal, truly sui generis – I could easily imagine them useful whether we are trying to teach physics, history, or coach a basketball team.

Chris Gekker
Professor of trumpet, University of Maryland
International recording artist
1st trumpet, St. Luke’s Chamber Orchestra
Former trumpet, American Brass Quintet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: