• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette C2S3, C2M, C2D, C2G observations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
random_abstract

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Monette C2S3, C2M, C2D, C2G observations? Reply with quote

Can anyone share their observations on these cup variations?

I've been playing a Resonance C2S3 and it's great. I've gathered from the forums that D is deep, M is less deep, and G is a 1C-ish cup they made for Gorham. But any practical observations on the application of these cups to different playing situations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a C2S3 for maybe 8 years at this point. I've never felt the need to go for a deeper cup. I have a B2M for some jazz applications on my Bb and I tried it on the C once. Tone was fine, darker as expected, but just made everything sluggish to respond. (Intonation was obviously out because the shank length is wrong). The C2S3 is such a flexible mouthpiece that I can get what I want in that direction just by coloring my sound most of the time.

For C, I play on a modified Strad with a very open leadpipe, so it's possible that the 2M cup just doesn't match well. A C2M might be a good choice if you have a tighter horn and want to try and balance that out.

For what I do though (Orchestral and wind ensemble), being able to lean on the piece and cut through is important. The 2M and 2D cups are going in the wrong direction for me. So, the C2S3 gets about 95% of the C trumpet work I do. For first parts on some pops/showtune applications, I do like to go the other direction with the 2LDS1 cups on Bb or C (2LS3 is too shrill).
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
random_abstract

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

I was wondering about a C2LDS1 for pops as well - do you use the C version of that piece? Lightweight or standard?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the C2M S3 on my C trumpets -- Bach Chicago and Shires 4F. Big sound in the lower and middle registers but not so deep that the upper register was much more work (compared to the B2 S3). I played the B2D S3 and B4D S3 on my cornet. Wound up preferring the B4D for most cornet parts.

Edit: At that time I was playing a B2 S3 on my Bb, and had no problem switching between mouthpieces.
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

random_abstract wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

I was wondering about a C2LDS1 for pops as well - do you use the C version of that piece? Lightweight or standard?

Yes, C2LDS1 for C trumpet, B2LDS1 for Bb. The shank length is very important to the intonation overall resonance. The only one I cross keys with are the Bb and A piccolo pieces. I have an older BP2 and an AP2S3. I like the slap cup better than the old bowl shape so I us the AP2S3 on both Bb and A picc these days. I'm sure better picc players would prefer a BP shank on a Bb picc, but for my average-level picc playing, the AP does the job.

All my classical pieces are standard weight and classic throat/backbore (not Prana) in the old STC blank. I do have a STC Prana B2S3 that I got used to see if I liked it (It's very good, but its not enough of a difference to replace the whole collection with another few grand in Prana mouthpieces).

On the rare occasion that I play small group jazz, I have a Resonance B2S5 Prana that I got at BJ's recommendation and it's a very nice match for my Committee. And the previously mentioned B2MS3 (classic, STC)
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: