• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chicago

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:02 am    Post subject: Chicago Reply with quote

Just turned on the local news. Good Morning America was still on and Chicago was performing. Caught the end of Saturday In The Park. Jim Pankow was not playing, think it was Nick Lane. Only Bobby Lamm and Lee Loughnane from the original lineup were performing. Lee sounds great, always liked his sound.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First song I heard on the radio entering my new crib after four years of indentured servitude to Uncle Sam in Asia, Does Anybody Know What Time It Is? Iconic song, iconic trumpet solo. Blew me away. And yes, Lee Loughnane is a monster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uy0ldI_1HA

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Chicago Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Just turned on the local news. Good Morning America was still on and Chicago was performing. Caught the end of Saturday In The Park. Jim Pankow was not playing, think it was Nick Lane. Only Bobby Lamm and Lee Loughnane from the original lineup were performing. Lee sounds great, always liked his sound.

Only Pankow, Lamm and Loughnane are left. I love Chicago. They still sound great, and Lee Loughnane is playing better than ever. But with Terry Kath, Peter Cetera, and Danny Seraphine gone, and in recent years, with Jason Scheff, Bill Champlin, and Lou Pardini gone, it's just not the same.

Also, from recent videos, it looks like Lee Loughnane is still playing his trusty Getzen 896 4-valve flugelhorn.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
First song I heard on the radio entering my new crib after four years of indentured servitude to Uncle Sam in Asia, Does Anybody Know What Time It Is? Iconic song, iconic trumpet solo. Blew me away. And yes, Lee Loughnane is a monster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uy0ldI_1HA

First time I heard that piece was a recording by a local group here in Conn. Johnny Parris and Tension. Very good local horn band. Make Me Smile was the first Chicago song I heard on radio. I thought they were a soul band the way Terry Kath sang.
I've seen them live 2 times back in the 70's. Good live show.
A really good horn band from that era was Los Blues. They only recorded one album. You can find them on Youtube.
Cleo Escobedo was one of the founders. His son Cleto Jr. leads the band on Kimmel's show. Cleto and The Cletones. Cleto Sr. is in the band as well.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Chicago Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
But with Terry Kath, Peter Cetera, and Danny Seraphine gone . . it's just not the same.

While I like some of their other songs, for sure, the soft spot in my heart is for Chicago Transit Authority. It just seemed grittier with Terry Kath.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19gCLq-Zmnw&list=PLVMgMdYqIEkboVaFK7HUlFXlRqa4DPXv6

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Chicago Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
It just seemed grittier with Terry Kath.

Terry was the heart and soul of the band. Tragic loss. And Peter, Danny, and Jim (horn arrangements) were also what made them great.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Chicago Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
It just seemed grittier with Terry Kath.

Terry was the heart and soul of the band. Tragic loss. And Peter, Danny, and Jim's (horn arrangements) were also what made them great.

Mike

Well put Mike. His guitar playing amazing. Always thought he was like a test pilot when he played. He pushed the instrument to the limit and played every note as if it were his last. He was never afraid to take chances musically.
He was still alive the 2 times I saw Chicago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: