• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schagerl Student C trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomterriff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Schagerl Student C trumpets Reply with quote

Does anybody have experience with the Schagerl student model C trumpets, the Academia, and the Caracas? Are they well built? How is intonation and tone? I have a high school student who is buying his first C trumpet. He has played for the last year on a serviceable cut-down Olds Ambassador.
Picc - Benchmark, Schilke P7
Cornet - Getzen 3850 Bb, Getzen 3810 C
Flugel - Selmer Paris 62, Selmer Concept
Tivolian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Schagerl Student C trumpets Reply with quote

tomterriff wrote:
Does anybody have experience with the Schagerl student model C trumpets, the Academia, and the Caracas? Are they well built? How is intonation and tone? I have a high school student who is buying his first C trumpet. He has played for the last year on a serviceable cut-down Olds Ambassador.

I bought a lightly used Schagerl Academica C trumpet earlier in my comeback, when I had almost no experience with C trumpets but needed one fairly quickly. I found the build quality to be good, valves and slides smooth, and the sound to be fine. I struggled quite a bit with intonation, especially with the D, D sharp, and E near the top of the staff and was unaccustomed to alternate fingerings for these notes. I also found that the horn seemed to close down on me in the higher register. I sold it and bought a used Xeno C, which was considerably better in intonation and openness above the staff.

This was my experience as a relative C-trumpet-novice, but it may apply reasonably well to your high school student.
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before Covid, I was looking for a batch of student/intermediate C trumpets for a youth group I run.

The Academica was on the list and I tried it at NAMM. My experience was the same as Tivolian, and the top of staff G on that particular horn was unmanageably sharp.

The horn I had settled on for the kids before that entire project was scrapped by the pandemic was the large bore version CarolBrass CTR-4000H-YSS-C-L in Silver plate. Which I think (have to check my old notes) makes it a CTR-4002H-YSS-C-S. They don't show it on the website, but you can get anything from Carol with the right model code. It doesn't quite have the vibrancy of a pro model C, but the intonation was good (with typical but manageable C quirks) and it'll cut through an orchestra.
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful, have been looking at the Schagerls and the CB horns lately
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: