• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet better for old man biginner or trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bent tubing
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Cornet better for old man biginner or trumpet Reply with quote

I'm 71 and I am trying to teach my self I've played in a community band for a few years and consider myself a novice.because I'm new in the game is it easier to play the cornet or the trumpet? I wonder because I'm so advanced in years if im an old fool to try and learn the instrument that I should have started at a young age? When are you too old to lean how to play and is the cornet easier to play than the trumpet? Thanks anyone!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think one or the other is easier, just different. And also, the equipment you use can make a cornet more trumpet like and vice era, although for your present needs I'd stick to discussing the norm and not the exceptions.

One question I would have is what kind and level an ensemble are you playing in because for sound and appearances one horn might be preferred over the other.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel that one is easier than the other, but the trumpet is probably better suited for your community band (unless it happens to be a brass band, of course).

Have you considered taking lessons? You are much more likely to make good progress on the trumpet (or cornet) with the help of a teacher than you are on your own.

Good luck!
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will jump sides and say cornet is better, but with the proviso we are not talking about a British Brass Band style, but a good old "American" style along the lines of the old Strad 37 cornet, or Olds Ambassador or Special (most of their line, in fact), or the traditional cornet wrap Connstellations, or even Blessing Artist lines, or even the Paris Selmer K Mods, etc. Don't forget the King Masters and Super 20's.

As a septuagenarian (but admittedly having played more or less continuously for over 60 years) I can say that the shorter wrap length lets me hear myself better and is easier to hold up for a long rehearsal. With a standard Bach or Schilke (or other) C cup mouthpieces, these horns can hang on just fine. And the used cornet market is a bit easier on the fixed income budget!

Just a few random thoughts.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you already have a .460 bore Getzen 300 cornet you are fine just the way you are. You won't find any advantage to going to a student line Getzen trumpet.

You could see some real advantages in different mouthpieces with the same rim. Check out Curry cornet mouthpieces - just not the British Band versions.

Now if you want to spend some money - both professional line cornets and trumpets will give an experienced player some advantages but one is not superior to the other for a community band. Some music is better suited to the cornet - use the cornet. Some to the trumpet - use a trumpet.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest cornet I've ever played is a Conn "The Wonder" cornet. I have two, a 1902 and a 1903. The bore size is very small. Very compact wrap. Gorgeous sound. Not appropriate for British Brass Band but totally works for jazz.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Big C

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the level that "bent tubing" (the OP) identifies himself as ("novice"), I don't think it matters one whit whether he's playing cornet or trumpet.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornet better for old man biginner or trumpet Reply with quote

bent tubing wrote:
I should have started at a young age? When are you too old to lean how to play

You're only 71 right? Seems to me you've easily got a good solid 20 years of playing ahead of you at least. More than enough time to learn to play it I reckon'. In my opinion, as long as you're enjoying making music, there's no right or wrong way to go at it, and I personally see no reason why age has to anything to do with it (besides being able to enjoying making music for a longer portion of their lives). You may not become the next Dizzy, Miles or Doc, but doesn't mean you shouldn't play at all...there's a lot inbetween.

bent tubing wrote:
is the cornet easier to play than the trumpet?

In my opinion there isn't a difference so significant that makes either a clear winner for someone just starting out. However, I do agree with huntman10 that the cornet may be bit easier to hold and with the bell closer, you can hear yourself more easily. I don't know your physical condition but those two may be helpful to some extent for players at a more advanced age (though not to the point where it makes the cornet clearly a superior choice).
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bent Tubing, All you need is an instrument that is in good condition. If your Getzen has working valves and slides, then you are all set. Equipment is the last thing you should be thinking about, from a beginner's point of view. Now, if you enjoy horns and mouthpieces, then by all means, buy away. But from a learner's standpoint, equipment won't help you. In fact, I would say that equipment for a beginner won't help you at all. You have a working horn, get a medium sized Bach or Yamaha mouthpiece, and you are all set. And a bottle of oil. A teacher might not be a bad idea. Up to you.
TheHighNotes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornet better for old man biginner or trumpet Reply with quote

(edit spelling)
bent tubing wrote:
I'm 71 and I am trying to teach my self I've played in a community band for a few years and consider myself a novice.because I'm new in the game is it easier to play the cornet or the trumpet? I wonder because I'm so advanced in years if im an old fool to try and learn the instrument that I should have started at a young age? When are you too old to lean how to play and is the cornet easier to play than the trumpet? Thanks anyone!

So I have this thing I'm writing, called a book. There are seven rules in it.

One of the rules, is,

"It's not too late, it's just in time."

With regard to trumpet versus cornet, without getting wildly lost in the weeds, they are essentially the same instrument played differently. Pick the one you enjoy the most.
"To have have fun, to learn, to improve. To share my perspective on how to navigate playing the trumpet to the best of my ability. To preserve and champion high art, artistic integrity, and live instrumental music."

-TheHighNotes
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ll side with The HighNotes: too late .
The other year I bought myself a new trumpet (the RC) - one of my lifetimes buddies said "isn´t that no use trying"?.

He was completely wrong - becoming 80 late December I do have the ball of my life. Having played in bands since 1958 I´ve recently made quite an embouchure change (June this year) with astonishing results! Lead trumpet - made even more easy!

Your question: As cornet was my first instrument, adding trumpet 10 years later I have had ample time noticing the differences.
I would tend to say that both horns can be quite demanding - the basic issue not the horn but the setting. I´ve been deep into brassband playing, front row, and then lead trumpet in big bands the major part of my playing life. You gotta practice a lot irrespective of the horn in question. Cornet playing, from my perspective, may have a certain air of a more "polished" way of playing; lead trumpet is the opposite of front row cornet in this respect.
This doesn´t imply that you, in any way, should play the trumpet without caring about the sound, shaping of the tones etc. in these two settings.
But a somewhat more "cultivated, neat" way of playing when it comes to the cornet.
Also the normal cornet range is far less demanding; usually not higher than high C (then I do not refer to the UK top bands).

To wind up I find the cornet a tad more agile, somewhat more easy to play, more forgiving - but that´s me and the experience I build this on mostly comes from Getzen Eternas (the 3850 a bit more demanding to fill).
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big C wrote:
At the level that "bent tubing" (the OP) identifies himself as ("novice"), I don't think it matters one whit whether he's playing cornet or trumpet.

Good grief. This is all the answer you need. ^^^^
Have fun and fuhgeddaboudit.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: