• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke S42 and S43HD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Schilke S42 and S43HD Reply with quote

Anyone played both of these models? What playing differences did you find? I know the S43HD is heavier and has a smaller bell. I tried an S42 once and liked it then I never found a used one I wanted. I had a B6 for a while and never felt at home on it though it was a good horn. I haven't had a chance to play the S43HD though I have played a S32HD and like it. As I get older I'm looking for a more efficient setup.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tooted on all of those horns at various trade shows over the years but I doubt I played an S42 immediately against an S43HD.

I find the HD models more work to create a sound than other Schilke trumpets, so for me, less efficient.

I wouldn't describe the bell of the S43HD as smaller, but it has a tighter bell flare. You might find it more projecting. Is that efficiency?

The S32HD has a bell flare similar to the S42, which has the same bell flare as the B6, which you didn't like. So it seems to me that you prefer something as least as heavy as the S-models and maybe even heavier, as the S-HD models.

Which did you like better, the S32HD or the S42? That might let you know which weight you prefer or which bore size you prefer.

Also, you'll need to try at least one Schilke with their tight bell flare: S33HD, S43HD, or S-43.

As I get older, I prefer lighter weight horns; so I gravitate to the Schilkes with the very thin copper bells.

Good luck.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry. I agree on the weight issue. The S32HD is a little more work compared to lighter weight horns. By efficient I just mean get the sound I want with more endurance. Of course practice comes first . I'm pretty happy with the used Yamaha Chicago I picked up last year but always curious about alternatives.
NYCTPT78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help here a bit I think. I play an s42jfl, and along with the original #2 bell I also have a #3 beryllium and a #1 beryllium. The #3 bell is pretty much permanently attached to my horn, what I guess is an s43jflb. I find the 3 bell definitely projects better than the 2 or 1, I play a bit of lead and have no issues cutting. I'm not sure how much is the copper bell vs yellow brass, and also don't discount mouthpiece. I use a warburton 4esv with a ny bb to cut. I think an efficient setup needs to start with the right mouthpiece.

Like jerry said, you may find the 3 bell plays what you feel is more efficient, some of it is in your own perception. I will say that it is pretty amazing how the bell shape effects the blow/resistance. The 1 is very open, 3 is a noticeably tighter. Kind of has a wall to blow against, but still nice and loud if needed. For me that's efficiency. I have played an s43hd, it felt very similar to my s42/3 bell setup but I prefer the copper bell over yellow brass.

Ryan

I think theres an s42 in the marketplace right now for a good price.

Also this is my 14th post in 15 years, not sure if that's some type of a record lol.
Thane #165, 72 style bronze bell
Schilke b6lb, b7lb, b4lb
Bach 180-37 Blackburn 20 pipe
Couesnon Monopole Flugelhorn
Bach Chicago C
Schilke E3L
Schilke P7-4
Scherzer 8111st
Monette Mouthpieces
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCTPT78 wrote:

Also this is my 14th post in 15 years, not sure if that's some type of a record lol.

Thanks for breaking radio silence to comment. Yeah, some day I need to try a 3 bell.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Schilke S42 vesus HD43 Reply with quote

Hello all,
I can't comment about the models, but I can comment about the bells. I have never been drawn to the #2 bell. I find that I like the focus of the #3 bell to my liking. I own a B2, B3 and an S33HD. If I were to place them in order of ease of blow, the order would be B3, B2 then the S33HD. To me , the sound is close to identical. The S33 seems to have a little more resistance, at least tighter slots or a feel that a heavier horn has over a lighter horn, which vibrates faster. Folks who have experienced a Beryllium bell feel that projection as a quicker and lighter response. What I feel the S33HD has, is more core or more heft of a sound.
NYCTPT78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BudBix wrote:
NYCTPT78 wrote:

Thanks for breaking radio silence to comment. Yeah, some day I need to try a 3 bell.

You got it, anytime. If you’re ever in the nyc area hit me up.

Ryan
Schilke b6lb, b7lb, b4lb
Bach Chicago C
Schilke E3L
Schilke P7-4
Scherzer 8111st
Monette Mouthpieces
NYCTPT78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Schilke S42 vesus HD43 Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
I can't comment about the models, but I can comment about the bells. I have never been drawn to the #2 bell. I find that I like the focus of the #3 bell to my liking. I own a B2, B3 and an S33HD. If I were to place them in order of ease of blow, the order would be B3, B2 then the S33HD. To me , the sound is close to identical. The S33 seems to have a little more resistance, at least tighter slots or a feel that a heavier horn has over a lighter horn, which vibrates faster. Folks who have experienced a Beryllium bell feel that projection as a quicker and lighter response. What I feel the S33HD has, is more core or more heft of a sound.

Not a huge fan of the #2 bell either, though mine is brass and my 1 and 3 are beryllium so that may be part of it. My 3 wasn’t originally a tuning bell, I bought it as a take off and had Josh order the hardware from Schilke and fit it. It’s super thin, noticeable thinner than my 1 bell.

Your comments on the beryllium are spot on, feels like the sound is out of the horn before I even start the note sometimes. I’ve a/b’d my horn with a b6, and it’s pretty close. There’s a bit more core in the s series I think, but a buddy has a b6 that I’d be happy to play for the rest of my days if I had too.

Ryan
Schilke b6lb, b7lb, b4lb
Bach Chicago C
Schilke E3L
Schilke P7-4
Scherzer 8111st
Monette Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: