• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

No air thru the horn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The demo in the video here shows sound can be made with a membrane without pushing air through but at no point does it match the tone of a normally played horn.

Obviously this set-up is acoustically inferior to a normal and complete instrument as some of the acoustic energy of is lost through the vent. The membrane also likely limits how much can be transmitted.

Notice the "vent" that allows air to flow out of the side of the mouthpiece cup must have some flow resistance. This allows the air pressure to rise on the air pulsation sufficient to play a tone. The pressure in the cup rises and deflects the membrane at a high enough velocity to create a pressure wave on the downstream side, which then transmits through the instrument.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom LeCompte wrote:
Physicist. 1628 papers, 211,760 citations.

Impressive! In my field, I did my main thing about 12,000 times over 40 years, but only wrote one paper.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon man! 1,628 papers. One a week for 30 years? Seriously?

Maybe a comic strip, but physics? No offense, I hope. I am just trying to do the math!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:

Robert P wrote:
Has anyone come up with a demonstration using maybe electronically actuated "lips" that more closely simulate the actions of human lips?

The demo in the video here shows sound can be made with a membrane without pushing air through but at no point does it match the tone of a normally played horn.

What would be the point of your demonstration, exactly? That the trumpet could be played like a trumpet? I'm not trying to be cheeky, genuinely don't understand.

I.e. mechanical "lips" where the buzzing is actuated electronically not by having air blown through them. This membrane demo shows an approximation of a trumpet sound but doesn't show that the sound can be the same without air flow.

Billy B wrote:

Listen at 6:20 in the video.

Meh - same as my reply above, still not the same.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I.e. mechanical "lips" where the buzzing is actuated electronically not by having air blown through them.

That would not produce much sound. if any.

Actuated artificial lips WITH a supplied air pressure could produce a strong tone.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

I.e. mechanical "lips" where the buzzing is actuated electronically not by having air blown through them. ...

--------------------------
If by 'mechanical lips' you mean moving surfaces that open and close, but do not 'pump air', then there wouldn't be much (if any) sound produced because the air pressure inside the tubing would not be changing.

Using a membrane transducer (or small speaker) will 'pump air' and produce the pressure changes that are needed.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Using a membrane transducer (or small speaker) will 'pump air' and produce the pressure changes that are needed.

To have a speaker that could do equivalent sound levels of tone would require as significant power amplifier.

One issue with most speaker setups at that size feeding pure sine waves: The self-resonance of the speaker appears to affect the complete system response. This gives a broad "bump" around the Helmholtz resonance of the mp cup and even higher.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Robert P wrote:

I.e. mechanical "lips" where the buzzing is actuated electronically not by having air blown through them. ...

--------------------------
If by 'mechanical lips' you mean moving surfaces that open and close, but do not 'pump air', then there wouldn't be much (if any) sound produced because the air pressure inside the tubing would not be changing.

By mechanical lips I mean artificial lips that do the same thing human lips do but without air flowing through them. If it's true that the lips serve only to create the buzz and set up a wave in the existing air within the instrument, that no airflow is needed then they should work.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
john4860

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Tom LeCompte

Apparently, he is the physics coordinator at CERN working on coordinating the large Hadron Collider science projects. He would get credit for papers he advised or helped with (I believe).

Pretty impressive stuff.

John
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been musing on this one (and thanks for the many interesting opinions) and this question occurred to me:
- if the purpose of the lip vibration is to energize standing waves in the horn; and
- if the only real reason air passes through the horn is because that's the only way we have of exciting the waves; and
- the loudness of the horn is directly related to the amplitude of the energy being input by the player; and
- the output frequency is dependent upon the frequency of the vibration produced by the player...

...then why & how do mouthpiece variations (ie. cup size, shape, etc.) influence the harmonic content of the wave? Is an energized standing wave not an energized standing wave? Are timbral variations in the waves being created by different mouthpieces? If so, how?

Just curious...
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
By mechanical lips I mean artificial lips that do the same thing human lips do but without air flowing through them. If it's true that the lips serve only to create the buzz and set up a wave in the existing air within the instrument, that no airflow is needed then they should work.

I thought that Toyota may have done this . . .

Link

. . . but then I read on another website that the robot has an artificial lung, so it must be pushing air through its artificial lips.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proteus wrote:
...then why & how do mouthpiece variations (ie. cup size, shape, etc.) influence the harmonic content of the wave? Is an energized standing wave not an energized standing wave? Are timbral variations in the waves being created by different mouthpieces? If so, how?

Just curious...

-----------------------------------
The 'standing wave' has a very complicated shape - it's not a simple nice and even sine wave. The wave has various 'internal' amplitude variations that provide the 'harmonic content'; those variations come from the mouthpiece configuration, the player, and the horn itself.

I think that a lot of the content of the wave comes from irregularities in the shape of the air pressure curve during lip vibration / pulsation, along the duration of an entire wave cycle.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john4860 wrote:
Re: Tom LeCompte

Apparently, he is the physics coordinator at CERN working on coordinating the large Hadron Collider science projects. He would get credit for papers he advised or helped with (I believe).

Pretty impressive stuff.

John

Agreed. Very impressive. (And overall, a very interesting thread here, with lots of good replies.) We live in a world where anyone online can come across as an "expert". But once in a while, that person posting something actually is one.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
We live in a world where anyone online can come across as an "expert". But once in a while, that person posting something actually is one. Mike

I chuckled when I read this, because it is so very true! (How's that for adding two very much unnecessary adjectives?)
A corollary is that on TH, sometimes an expert in one thing, like playing the trumpet, acts like an expert in another thing, like acoustics.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The technical system of playing does not require a knowledge of quantum physics to understand. The brass world is a bubble and an echo chamber that only entertains explaining EVERYTHING in terms of "compression" or "air-speed", neither rarely understood or even defined. Often just repeated hearsay of the popular language among players and teachers.

Quote:
- if the purpose of the lip vibration is to energize standing waves in the horn; and
The lips themselves do not energize the standing wave, the pressurized air volume on each pulse of air from the opening aperture does.

Air pressure= energy density
Air pressure x air volume = energy

Quote:
- if the only real reason air passes through the horn is because that's the only way we have of exciting the waves; and

There is a net flow but the air volume per pulse that I mentioned before is related to volume per pulse x frequency

or, volume x 1/T = volume/Time

which is FLOW.

Quote:
- the loudness of the horn is directly related to the amplitude of the energy being input by the player; and

loudness is air power input by the player x efficiency

which is, power in = air pressure x air flow

sound power out = air power in x efficiency

Quote:
- the output frequency is dependent upon the frequency of the vibration produced by the player...

For the fundamental frequency of the tone played yes. But the standing wave is not a sine wave. Since it is non-sinusoidal it has harmonic content. (Not to be confused with the harmonic series of the instrument resonance)

Quote:
...then why & how do mouthpiece variations (ie. cup size, shape, etc.) influence the harmonic content of the wave?

Everything about an instrument affects it's acoustics, that of course includes the mouthpiece.

Quote:
Is an energized standing wave not an energized standing wave? Are timbral variations in the waves being created by different mouthpieces? If so, how?
The short answer is, a smaller mouthpiece more drastically increases the nonlinear impedance of the instrument. Obviously a propagating pulse into the mouthpiece cup will "pressurize" that smaller air volume in the small cup in a shorter duration than a larger cup. So, as more air power is applied, the more non-sinusoidal the pulses become. The high harmonics are dominantly transmitted out of the bell. They do not "resonate", only the fundamental contributes to the "standing" wave.

(If anyone attempts to explain mouthpiece or instruments acoustics in terms of "air speed" you can be confident that they don't understand what they are explaining.)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not brain dead, but what does this all mean? How does it apply to me as a trumpet player beyond putting the horn to my lips and blowing?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Not brain dead, but what does this all mean? How does it apply to me as a trumpet player beyond putting the horn to my lips and blowing?

Exactly. I usually avoid any thread that invokes the word "physics" because I never see any practical application for playing the trumpet -- just debate and formulas. How do we take all of this and make better trumpet players?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

-----------------------------------------
The value in having knowledge is that it enhances your 'language translator'. That can be useful to understand the important parts of what is 'done' versus what is 'said or written'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rest my case, LOL.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments were in response to Proteus' questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: